RF Remote / Line-Out Dock Combo
Aug 27, 2006 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello!

New to the forum here and also a new MacBook / iPod 5G owner. I've been reading posts here about line-out docks with great interest and I've taken the plunge on a relatively new RF remote / line-out dock combo called CruiseControl from Gear4, based in the UK:

large_179.jpg

I purchased it initially solely for its remote control features since I was looking for a device that would allow me to keep my iPod in my backpack yet adjust the volume as necessary and skip tracks (additionally, it has buttons controlling pause/play, shuffle and repeat).

The range on the remote is excellent and I can control everything I need to without even removing the handset from my pocket.

But after reading up on docks here, I discovered that the CruiseControl also has attenuated line-out, along with a USB mini pass-through port. Interestingly enough, these features are not mentioned on the Gear4 website nor in the instructions that came with the device.

So I've been having a play with the CruiseControl's "hidden" line-out dock feature and overall, I'm quite impressed. More detail, clarity, and bass response than the headphone out. And it especially shines through my home office set-up consisting of a Sonic Impact T-amp and my recently modified Roksan Hotcakes:

Htck2.jpg

(Well actually, this photo is pre-mod but most folks have never heard of the Hotcakes; I'll post about the speakers with new photos in another thread when I have the chance)

So has anyone else had experience with the CruiseControl?

Cheers, Dex

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 10
This looks really interesting.
I would like some more pictures as well. :hint:

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Aug 27, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Interesting link, I hadn't seen it.

I wrote the following e-mail to Gear4 but haven't yet gotten a reply:

Quote:

I live in Belgium and I recently purchased one of your CruiseControls for my 5G iPod. It's a wonderful product and works fabulously in my backpack when I'm on the go. Well done!

I do have a couple of questions, however, that I don't find addressed on your website.

First, how do I go about changing the battery in the handset? I'm using it so much that I'm sure I'll need to replace it eventually, but I don't want to risk simply trying to pry it open without the knowledge. Also what specific battery is required as a replacement? Would be nice to keep one onhand. (Come to think of it, some photos on your website would be welcome!)

Second, is the signal from the mini jack at the bottom of the CruiseControl a true line-level signal. It appears to be independent of the iPod's onboard amplifier in that the volume control of the iPod itself seems disengaged, yet the volume control on the CruiseControl itself remains fully functional. Is genuine line-level achieved only with the CruiseControl at maximum volume? (The answer to this would also seem handy to have on your website, since folks at places like Head-Fi Forums are always looking for good line-level docking solutions.)

Finally, are there smallish adapters available to go between the bottom port of the iPod and the CruiseControl? I have a PodsPlus aluminum case for my iPod and the bottom hinge prevents direct connection with the CruiseControl (among other devices) so I need to use my iPod au naturel in my backpack.

Thanks in advance for your considered reply!

I'll report back when they reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
I would like some more pictures as well. :hint:

Will do. I'll fire up the Minolta and post more piccies soonish.

Best, Dex

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Here are some views inside the CruiseControl dock:

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Quite a lot of little goodies packed into this tiny module!

Unfortunately, for the time being, this is the only way I can connect to the iPod using my beloved PodsPlus V2 aluminum case:

PICT0007.jpg

What we really need is for someone to market a dock extension cord like the one employed in the DLO TransDock micro:

tpmicro_hero_lrg.jpg

Dex

Aug 28, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter
What we really need is for someone to market a dock extension cord like the one employed in the DLO TransDock micro:

tpmicro_hero_lrg.jpg

Oops, just discovered that even that one is not the true extension I was hoping for but rather terminates into a standard USB:

3.jpg

So, any of you clever chaps up to the challenge of making a proper dock-male to dock-female extension?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back