RF interference?
Aug 9, 2005 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

r0b

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I would appreciate some help figuring out the solution to some strange RF interference I have. At least, I think it's RF interference!

Here's the setup:
- 667MHz G4 powerbook: headphone jack
- inexpensive 3' gold-plated mini-mini monster cable OR the 1' gold-plated cable that came with the headphone amp:
- HeadRoom Total AirHead headphone amp. (battery powered)
- Etymotic ER-4S

Description:
- The laptop and headphone amp need to be turned on to hear it.
- When I have my powerbook on (nothing needs to be playing), I faintly hear some radio station in the background. I hear it more clearly when I turn the headphone amp louder. Its volume doesn't seem to change when I turn the laptop volume up or down or mute it, although I only notice it sometimes.
- It becomes very apparent when I have a 15' (very cheap) extension cable from the headphone jack to an amp/receiver/PC-speakers, etc. The use of the 3' or 1' cable makes little or no difference.
- When I unplug the mini-mini cable from the powerbook and/or the amp, the sound goes away.
- Other sources: I don't hear that sound / radio station / interference when using a cheap radio-shack mini-to-RCA cable from a 1987 Fisher cd player (model DAC-202), even though that cheap cable goes through a tangled web of USB cables. In fact, I don't hear that sound / radio station / interference with any other source (including a cheap PC, a static-filled Aiwa 5.1 dorm-theater receiver, a Pioneer car cd player, or an iPod).

I hope that's enough information that someone may recognize the problem! So...

What is the problem, and how do I get rid of it?
confused.gif
It is very annoying... Another strange thing is that when I first noticed it, it was a mexican-sounding radio station that I can't understand, but more recently it sounds like some American-English sounding soft-rock station.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0b
Thanks for the link!

So then I was right in my assumption that the problem is RF interference?

yep.. sounds like it

Aug 9, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 6
k thx! btw, so since it seems to be coming from the laptop's sound card, would a usb DAC be an alternative solution?

Aug 9, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0b
k thx! btw, so since it seems to be coming from the laptop's sound card, would a usb DAC be an alternative solution?

yep

but those ferrite cores could be used on powercords or such anyhow.. so there's no harm in getting them anyhow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back