Rewritable media [ie. CD-RW, MD]: how many times can you rewrite?
Dec 6, 2003 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hero zero

100+ Head-Fier
just a question about how many times you can rewrite digital media before it stops working.....does anyone know?

[ps: I didn't know where to put this thread, so if it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it]

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi...

I don't know about DVD media, but from something i read somewhere (which I guess might not be totally accurate) it is estimated for CDRW media that you can re-write about a thousand times before it fails
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
estimated for CDRW media that you can re-write about a thousand times before it fails
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what is officially stated but from own experience and a post on slashdot I know that reality is quite a different beast. IIRC they mentioned a maximum of only fifty rewrites before errors occur. Many of my CD-RWs have crapped out before that but I don't have exact numbers. This only regards CD-RWs and I don't know anything about the various DVD-formats (yet).

Dec 6, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 10
from my experience sony (
mad.gif
) CD-RWs started giving me writing errors after about 20-25th rewrites

like D-EJ915 said, sony claimed MDs can be written 1,000,000 time before it starts to crap out, i havnt been using MDs for that long but i havnt heard a single person talking about their MDs having problem with recording

Dec 7, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 10
thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate it...

..I'm just concerned, as I use CD-RW's for my mp3/cd player....

and the fact that my md recorder is getting poor playback [ie. the sound keeps cutting in and out...I think it's the recorder and not the MD...the MD worked fine on an MD deck...] isn't helping too much....

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 10
It seems like CD-RWs fail after somewhere around 30 to 50 re-writes (I'm guessing, not counting) They always fail during the write or erase, rather than while playing.

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I've re-written over a ton of minidiscs and had no problem. The only ones that gave me grief were some old Fuji discs...

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 10
I think they fail far before 50, I have some ones, specially Princo, and HP old ones, that fail miserably after maybe, 20 times, I mean fail that the data become useless, but not the media, you format it again, and bingo you can use it again, for a while, but the data fails easily, if you continuosly use it.....since then, all is in another partition on the HD...or a cheap CDR....period

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Earwax
It seems like CD-RWs fail after somewhere around 30 to 50 re-writes (I'm guessing, not counting) They always fail during the write or erase, rather than while playing.

Odd, I have a couple of 10x Imation cd-rws that have at least that many writes on them. Then I have an old sony cd-rw that is still going strong, even though it only supports 2x write rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back