Revo 5.1 have a separate headphone amp?
May 3, 2005 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gychang

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested only in listening to good music on my Grado SR60 headphone. Most recommend I get a separate headamp with other cards which I want to avoid.

Will the card fit the bill? (no need for separate headphone amp), anyone using combination?

gychang

May 3, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 10
Using a separate headphone amp is the best way to go for ANY soundcard. The quality of the integrated amp on the soundcard will not be as good as a separate amp no matter what, unless the separate amp REALLY sucks. Even the EMU cards sound best with a separate amp. A MINT would make a world of difference.

May 3, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 10
The reason that we highly reccomend amps with the AV-710 and EMU cards is that they aren't designed to drive headphones. The M-Audio Revo 5.1 is designed to drive headphones (it even has a dedicated headphone jack) and so it should be good enough for some SR-60s (I say should because I've never heard either the M-Audio or the SR-60s).

May 3, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 10
The SR60's are pretty low impedance as far as phones go, so they should be easy to drive with the integrated headphone amp, but integrated amps must be small and consequently their designs and parts aren't to the same level as a separate amp. It's definitely usable, I used my Audigy 2 NX headphone out for a long time. But a separate amp sounds MUCH better.

May 3, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Revo's headphone amp is equivalent to CMoy, maybe even a bit better since there are two amps per channel in parallel.. it's called headphone amp just because they put lower value resistors on output unlike the other channels..

May 3, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 10
BTW, what's the output impedance for the Revo? I was under the impression that it must be fairly low for my Aureon, at least my HD590s sounded rather bright there (ouch).

May 4, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
BTW, what's the output impedance for the Revo? I was under the impression that it must be fairly low for my Aureon, at least my HD590s sounded rather bright there (ouch).

5Ohm on headphone out and 100R on line outs.. its determined just by the resistor used inline with the output, you can change it easily..

May 4, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 10
gychang,

The GR60 works alright without a dedicated amp, I think you won't go wrong with the Revo 5.1.

I have the GR60 and Revo 5.1 and they sound fine.

Save the money and get an amp next time when you upgrade to better headphones

May 4, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 10
thanks, most likely will go with amp-AV710 afterall.

gychang

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickoh
gychang,

The GR60 works alright without a dedicated amp, I think you won't go wrong with the Revo 5.1.

I have the GR60 and Revo 5.1 and they sound fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back