Revo 5.1/7.1 / Emu
Nov 30, 2004 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Audio18

100+ Head-Fier
Have any of you guys heard about/or heard both of these cards? Some say that the 5.1 has better DACs than the 7.1 but I also heard the other way around =/. Would the EMU card be worlds ahead above these cards for music? How would those to cards par up to my TBSC card for music production?

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 20
There's not much info out on the Revo 5.1 yet, but supposedly it specs out better than the 7.1. I did my homework on these cards last night as I'm looking to upgrade and came to the conclusion that the EMU-0404 would probably outperform a Revo 5.1/7.1 for stereo only, but the Revo outguns the EMU for multi-channel/surround features. My decision? I'm buying and installing both in my PC.

-coma

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 20
I had the Revo 7.1 and now have the E-MU 1212M. The E-MU is miles ahead of the Revo. If you only want stereo, get the Revo. If you want multichannel, go with one of the Revos. (Get the E-MU...)

Nov 30, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I had the Revo 7.1 and now have the E-MU 1212M. The E-MU is miles ahead of the Revo. If you only want stereo, get the Revo. If you want multichannel, go with one of the Revos. (Get the E-MU...)

confused.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 20
boodi... i think a two-card solution has some advantages to be considered:

1. you get the best of both worlds: maximum game- (a2) and maximum-audio-performance

2. easy adjustable output-routes:
for example i like those windows-sounds. but i'd get a heart attack when i'd listen to some quiet classical music with my phones via headamp @11 and my email-scanner bombs in, indicating new post with a loud ringing-tone...
00000128.gif
. simple solution: i route all that windows-clicking and beeping to a standard-device (onboard-sound/a2), while the e-mu keeps reserved for foobar-use only. additionally i need no external switcher to use speakers and phones.

3. no compatibility issues with alternative os: just add a second soundcard with existent linux-support to overcome one of the e-mu drawbacks..

Nov 30, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
additionally i need no external switcher to use speakers and phones.

Is this because you use 1 soundcard for speakers and another 1 for headphones ?
what cards have you got ?

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 20
I've been wondering this for awhile, and this seems to be as good a place as any to ask, as I'm considering wandering down the dual-card path.

If you feed the E-MU a 5.1 stream (y'know... watching a DVD or whatever) and plug one of the digital outs into an external receiver capable of decoding 5.1, do you wind up with stereo or 5.1 sound?

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
If you feed the E-MU a 5.1 stream (y'know... watching a DVD or whatever) and plug one of the digital outs into an external receiver capable of decoding 5.1, do you wind up with stereo or 5.1 sound?

If inserting a SEND to do this would be bit perfect, you'd end up with 5.1. If it wasn't, you'd get nothing but noise.

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 20
I still dont know if you compare Revo7.1 and EMU0404 in digital mode, which is better or are they the same?Any difference in music if comparing those two in digital mode?If yes, in what way are they different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back