Revisiting the HD650
Mar 26, 2007 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Borg166

New Head-Fier
I bought the HD595 and HD650 about a year ago and ended up keeping only the HD595 because I wasn't using an amp at the time. Well, now I have an amp (Sony STR-DG500) that has been working well with the HD595 so I decided to order the HD650 again (with the Cardas cable upgrade).

Do you think the HD650 will be better in the long run for a fan of hip-hop and electronic music? Bass in particular is a big selling point for me, and based on the reviews I've read, the HD650 appears to be a big step up in that department.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know...did you ever look at the Beyer cans as well?

I seriously considered trying them out, but I've just been so happy with all of my Sennheiser products so far that it's hard for me to really branch out to other companies.

As an additional reference, I tried the AKG 701s and they didn't seem to work very well for my favorite types of music.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer DT-770 is excellent for bass-heavy stuff. I recommend it.

I agree, the thread starter should return the HD 650s with Cardas cable, and buy a Beyer DT-770 with a Headroom amplifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 8
HD-650 sounds so glorious and natural I got my pair and now I'm addicted to it. After listening through it for an hour, then put on the K-701, I found the K-701 to be (can't believe I'm saying it) somewhat artificial.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer DT-770 is excellent for bass-heavy stuff. I recommend it.

your pics and username is the most awesomest ever!
Buckethead rocks!

On the cans:
I really enjoy my HD650s. They are amazing for electronica and rap, as well as rock and pretty much anything I throw at it.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm not sure that they'll be for you. Even though the 650's have and extended low end, they simply aren't for most bass heads that are into hip-hop and electronica. What you're looking for is bass SLAM! I'm not savvy enough to say what makes a pair of cans have slam and what doesn't. Having owned the sr325's and the hd650 I can tell you the 650's don't have slam. The 326 however do have some great bass slam. They aren't that suited for hip-hop because they are far too revealing of bad recordings. Most great hip hop was recorded poorly and all the static his, and sloppy cuts in the samples will stand out like a sore thumb. Or at least they did to me.

I haven't heard any beyer cans so perhaps you should start listening what people have to say about them. I've ready very good things but have no first hand experience with them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back