Revisited: Best NC on-ear (ideally portable) headphones under $150.00
May 2, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #16 of 37
So I didn't get to Guitar Center...and did pick up a set of the AKGs. They were used so didn't spend too much time on burning in. I have to say on the plus side, they are pretty light and comfortable. However, the sound is SO flat that it seems to be lacking any real dynamism - in other words, pretty boring. The vocals and midsection seem really blase. But worse, how can anyone stand that buzz in the background?? Even when you can't hear it, aren't you aware of it? Doesn't it just...gnaw at you? So if that's a fact of life with ANC, I probably need to put more emphasis on noise isolation, vice cancellation.

I'm willing to stretch the budget. If I'm going to make the leap, I want more power and dynamism - I want to really feel an upgrade between what I have now (a set of Sonys that I picked up in an emergency at the airport), and what I get, given the extra cost. Will look at a couple recommended here. Onward and upward!

May 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 37
You really need to stretch your budget a little bit for a relatively good model. You can consider these models:
1. Sennheiser HD4.50 BTNC https://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-noise-cancelling-hd-4-50-btnc $180
2. Sony CH700N https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-ch700n - $200

Hi - after going to guitar center to compare the sound of different brands and trying three different models (the AKG, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, and the V-Modas), I'm taking your advice and upping my budget a bit. Two quick questions. one, would the Sennheisers you refer to above have an overall better sound quality than the Momentum 2.0s, which I wasn't thrilled with? Two, they are described as "around ear." Does this mean they are on-ear, over-ear, or something different? I'm just not familiar with the term.

Thank you,

Monte

May 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 37
Hi - after going to guitar center to compare the sound of different brands and trying three different models (the AKG, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, and the V-Modas), I'm taking your advice and upping my budget a bit. Two quick questions. one, would the Sennheisers you refer to above have an overall better sound quality than the Momentum 2.0s, which I wasn't thrilled with? Two, they are described as "around ear." Does this mean they are on-ear, over-ear, or something different? I'm just not familiar with the term.

Thank you,

Monte

The HD4.50 BTNC are generally considered lower on the totem pole than the Momentum 2.0. By "around ear", they mean the same as "over-ear", as in, circumaural.

May 14, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #19 of 37

Thank you,

Monte
If you were looking for something which is better than Momentum, it would be PXC550 which is same par as Bose QC35 and Sony WH-1000XM2. HD4.50BTNC is an entry level noise cancellation headphones. Around Ear is the same as Over Ear, simply means the ear cups cover your whole ear.

May 14, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 37
If you were looking for something which is better than Momentum, it would be PXC550 which is same par as Bose QC35 and Sony WH-1000XM2. HD4.50BTNC is an entry level noise cancellation headphones. Around Ear is the same as Over Ear, simply means the ear cups cover your whole ear.

Having had the PXC550 for a brief time, I’d say sound quality is even better than QC35 and WH1000XM2, but it didn’t go loud enough for me, but all of these are all definitely over $150. :frowning2:

May 14, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 37
Having had the PXC550 for a brief time, I’d say sound quality is even better than QC35 and WH1000XM2, but it didn’t go loud enough for me, but all of these are all definitely over $150. :frowning2:
With $150 I would say HD4.50BTNC is the best for me. I like PXC550 too. No volume issue for me because I seldom go beyond 50% for volume. Very comfortable and no fatigue after long listening. Sony is a little too engaging and Bose's bass just simply bloated (for me).

May 14, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #22 of 37
With $150 I would say HD4.50BTNC is the best for me. I like PXC550 too. No volume issue for me because I seldom go beyond 50% for volume. Very comfortable and no fatigue after long listening. Sony is a little too engaging and Bose's bass just simply bloated (for me).

Is sound signature of the 4.50BTNC similar to the PXC550? I really liked the sound signature and quality of the PXC500.

May 14, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #23 of 37
Is sound signature of the 4.50BTNC similar to the PXC550? I really liked the sound signature and quality of the PXC500.
It can be categorized into the same type of sound signature. I think basically is one step lower than PXC550 for all the aspect plus removing all the features. HD4.50BTNC is a little too tight for me (I have a big head). Comfort wise PXC550 killed all the other models, at least for me :)

May 14, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 37
It can be categorized into the same type of sound signature. I think basically is one step lower than PXC550 for all the aspect plus removing all the features. HD4.50BTNC is a little too tight for me (I have a big head). Comfort wise PXC550 killed all the other models, at least for me :)

I really liked the PXC550’s fit, comfort was great, agreed. Phone calls were great on it, too.

May 14, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 37
I really liked the PXC550’s fit, comfort was great, agreed. Phone calls were great on it, too.

I'm sure the 550s are terrific but they are out of my price range. What I am wondering about now is a model up from the vmodas I have tried (the XS) and I'm wondering about the Audio-technicas. I have heard good things about them.

I like the warmth of the Sennheisers, but I wake the overall sound stage and presentation of the vmodas.

May 14, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #26 of 37
I'm sure the 550s are terrific but they are out of my price range. What I am wondering about now is a model up from the vmodas I have tried (the XS) and I'm wondering about the Audio-technicas. I have heard good things about them.

I like the warmth of the Sennheisers, but I wake the overall sound stage and presentation of the vmodas.

Just to add, the ar3 and the 5btks are the audio-technicas I am looking at...

May 14, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 37

I didn't have a chance to have an audition on V-Moda and the only Audio Technica model I have is ATH-M50X. It is very analytical.

May 14, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 37
Just to add, the ar3 and the 5btks are the audio-technicas I am looking at...

I have the SR5BT, they are quite good, but they don’t have active noise cancellation and I can’t compare to the V-Moda’s you have since I’ve never heard those.

May 15, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #29 of 37
How much would I be sacrificing if I went for the sr5bts instead of the 550s? Sounds like the 550s are really terrific but the cost for me is daunting.

Someone trust worth the also recommended to me the new dunos. They are IEM's of course. Any thoughts about them would also be appreciated.

May 15, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #30 of 37
How much would I be sacrificing if I went for the sr5bts instead of the 550s? Sounds like the 550s are really terrific but the cost for me is daunting.

Someone trust worth the also recommended to me the new dunos. They are IEM's of course. Any thoughts about them would also be appreciated.

Well, you’d definitely be sacrificing active noise cancellation as well as some comfort since the PXC550 are genuine over-ear while the SR5BT are on-ear. I actually find the SR5BT to be comfortable for on-ears, but at least for my large ears, on-ears always lose to true over/around ear ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back