Revisited: Best NC on-ear (ideally portable) headphones under $150.00
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MonteM

New Head-Fier
Hello to all,

New to the forum and looking forward to being a participant.

I have a question that was addressed in earlier threads, but none (from what I can see) from the past few years. So I thought I would revisit. Also, the older threads were not specific to what I needed to know so I thought I'd throw this out there.

I travel by subway/metro every workday, and I do travel by plane somewhat, so I need some noise-cancellation. I have a few IEMs which are fine, but as I get older I'm gravitating toward on-ear headphones for comfort, and the broader sound.

I would also like headphones that are relatively light and if possible portable. But for me, sound quality is the number one priority - though my budget is limited with $150 really being the TRUE top end. Some of the headphones I've tried seem a bit muffled and lacking in a wide soundstage (and forgive me if I don't get the terminology correct). What I would love would be: wide sound stage, to avoid that feeling of the sound closing in on me; clear and crisp and dynamic sound across the spectrum - this is really important; a good balanced sound, so that the bass is not overpowering but definitely felt, and the highs come through clearly but not in a way that is disturbing; and a powerful enough performance so that you can really feel and appreciate the sound. I should add, it would be good to maintain the high level of sound at both low and high volumes (as well as inbetween of course)

Unfortunately, my budget is limited and as I said, $150 is a stretch. $125 is really the top of my comfort zone, but I want a pair I'm really going to like so willing to make the investment.

Is it possible to get what I'm looking for within my budget? If so, what would you recommend? I want a pair I am going to love for a long time.

Thank you so much,

MonteM

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 37
To meet all your requirements within your budget is a bit tight, it has to be said. However, you might be able to find a deal on an AKG N60NC. It is in your general price range and it ticks several of your boxes. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 37
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 37
Thank you for the suggestions so far. A good part of my commute is in an underground tunnel with no Wi-Fi, or on an airplane; I'm curious as to whether that would impact the viability of a wireless set?

I do see that I'll probably have to raise the budget a bit to fit into one of these or subsequent recommendations that may follow.

Of the three recommended so far, which would give me that bright, fully, crisp, clean soundstage I'm looking for? All?

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 37
Thank you for the suggestions so far. A good part of my commute is in an underground tunnel with no Wi-Fi, or on an airplane; I'm curious as to whether that would impact the viability of a wireless set?

I do see that I'll probably have to raise the budget a bit to fit into one of these or subsequent recommendations that may follow.

Of the three recommended so far, which would give me that bright, fully, crisp, clean soundstage I'm looking for? All?

Wi-Fi will have no impact on Bluetooth at all. As long as your phone remains within reasonable distance of the headphones, you'll be fine, plus no headphone wire to get snagged.

Trade-off is slightly lower sound quality, but if you have ANC on your headphones, you will have that regardless.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 37
Wi-Fi will have no impact on Bluetooth at all. As long as your phone remains within reasonable distance of the headphones, you'll be fine, plus no headphone wire to get snagged.

Trade-off is slightly lower sound quality, but if you have ANC on your headphones, you will have that regardless.

that is very helpful - thank you. However, I want to avoid as many tradeoffs on sound quality as possible and I don't mind a wire. So maybe the AKG on Amazon for $149.00 is the way to go?

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 37
Another question is:

Do you need Active Noise Cancellation or do you just need Noise Isolation? ANC imparts artificial noise into the cups to block out surrounding noise, Noise Isolation will just reduce background noises without anything artificial.

For the latter, depending on music preference, something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 (stretch your budget $10-$20, unfortunately) or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x ($114 certified refurb on Amazon) may be the way to go.

If you're set on ANC, then yes the AKG seem like the good way to go within your budget.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 37
Another question is:

Do you need Active Noise Cancellation or do you just need Noise Isolation? ANC imparts artificial noise into the cups to block out surrounding noise, Noise Isolation will just reduce background noises without anything artificial.

For the latter, depending on music preference, something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 (stretch your budget $10-$20, unfortunately) or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x ($114 certified refurb on Amazon) may be the way to go.

If you're set on ANC, then yes the AKG seem like the good way to go within your budget.

I'm not set on it; I was just comparing it to passive isolation and it seemed more effective. But my main goal is to reduce background noise, especially on the subway or an airplane.

What I want to do is make the jump from where I am - very good sound quality - to the next level. So I am stretching my budget. I also tend to go the IEM route but looking for something a bit different this time around.

I really want that crisp, fully dynamic sound, but with enough power to feel the music. I tried to describe it in my initial post but probably fell short in my description. Anyway, I am open to all ideas.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 37
I'm not set on it; I was just comparing it to passive isolation and it seemed more effective. But my main goal is to reduce background noise, especially on the subway or an airplane.

What I want to do is make the jump from where I am - very good sound quality - to the next level. So I am stretching my budget. I also tend to go the IEM route but looking for something a bit different this time around.

I really want that crisp, fully dynamic sound, but with enough power to feel the music. I tried to describe it in my initial post but probably fell short in my description. Anyway, I am open to all ideas.

The DT770 is probably not for you, if that is the case. Very V-shaped and the bass can tend to bleed. Some people think the highs are a bit too much as well.

But, I wear my DT770 all the time on the airplane and feel that the isolation that they provide is plenty. I should note that I use mine (80 ohm) with a separate headphone amplifier. Not necessary, but definitely improves the sound quality all around.

I'm not well versed in closed, balanced sounding headphones. I travel with my DTs, but my main headphones at home are fully open Grados; which wouldn't help you at all.

V-MODA M-80 or Crossfade LP2 might work. I've not heard them to know how they stack up against others, though.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 37
I am definitely learning a lot from you guys and I appreciate it. I think I'm looking for passive noise isolation as opposed to active, although I am nonetheless leaning toward the AKGs. Hope to hear more recommendations, but I appreciate those who have given me advice.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 37
One thing I would do:

If you have a Guitar Center local to you, go there and go to their Pro Audio room and take a look at the headphones there. If it's like the ones near me, they will let you try out some of the headphones if you ask. They should have the Audio-Technicas I mentioned, possibly the Beyerdynamics as well (the ones near me have both) as well as some others. Try them out, even if they're out of your price range, on a variety of different music. That way you can get a feel for the sound signature of each and if it matches what you're looking for. From there you can look for deals (the GuitarCenter near me will price match Amazon, so there's that).

There are other places you can look to try out headphones as well, but some won't have them available or have only certain models. Trying them first will ensure you get the ones you'll be happiest with, though.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 37
One thing I would do:

If you have a Guitar Center local to you, go there and go to their Pro Audio room and take a look at the headphones there. If it's like the ones near me, they will let you try out some of the headphones if you ask. They should have the Audio-Technicas I mentioned, possibly the Beyerdynamics as well (the ones near me have both) as well as some others. Try them out, even if they're out of your price range, on a variety of different music. That way you can get a feel for the sound signature of each and if it matches what you're looking for. From there you can look for deals (the GuitarCenter near me will price match Amazon, so there's that).

There are other places you can look to try out headphones as well, but some won't have them available or have only certain models. Trying them first will ensure you get the ones you'll be happiest with, though.

Great idea. I will try to do this.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 37
Hifima n Edition S is on sale for $129 on Amazon prime, for another $10 you can get a 4 year warranty. I'm tempted to try a pair, fly often enough to justify the purchase (have Senn PX200's for that now) and these might be a interesting alternative to my Senn 558's in my office system. Lots of reviews online....

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 37
This Newegg flash sale ends in 2 hours, but if you can catch it, it's a good deal on some refurbished JBL Everest 300 Elite for $64.99. The good thing about these is that they have hardware EQ (set through app on smartphone) that works so long as you are using the headphones in active mode (they can also be used entirely passive), so if the sound signature needs a little tweaking, you can do that.

You can also adjust the level of noise cancellation through the app.

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA5Z259F8121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back