Reviews vs Presentation
Jul 11, 2019 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jmills8

Previously known as bmiamihk, jmills2
A review is rare these days , but presentations are more common. From my understanding a review is finding what is good and what is wrong , writing some personal inputs , opinions. A review shouldnt just show a product like a Car Model which only states specs and uses words to push the product. On the other hand the so called reviews are more like presentations , just pushing a product by writing many positive paragraphs. I just want things to be clear , is the writers goal is to create sales or is it to steer the reader in buying the best product for him or her ?

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 10
This is not a reviewer. Shes not standing there telling you want she likes or disliked.
Screenshot_20190711-155735_Gallery.jpg

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 10
I to agree that a lot of reviews come across like a product promotion. There is a lot of this does wonderful, amazing things and you need this. Also there are graphs,charts about this and that, and for most readers it is beyond our level of audio speak, really beyond mine.

It would be nice to find a review that actually mentions the flaws and why it is there and can it be fixed.As well dig a little into the company's past and mention what their record is in finishing a product before moving to the next one. Just saying.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Recently, I had to return a product that got lots of good reviews but I thought it was mediocre.

But so far the most part, All the gear that I’ve bought have been great.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 10
There's a lot of second rate reviewers who come off as cheerleaders really, and then there are some divas who on occasion pass of as high priestess (though this latter category has been quiet for some time).

I'm just glad I'm spending less, and I generally put more trust on forum contributors/posters who paid with their own pockets.

But then again that's just me.

Edit: I laugh at some descriptions like "bass is smooth", and I'm like "what does that even mean?"
This line gets copied and pasted in every following review... ugh.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Recently, I had to return a product that got lots of good reviews but I thought it was mediocre.

But so far the most part, All the gear that I’ve bought have been great.
Then the reviewers can just say everything is great and in most cases they be correct.

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 10
There's a lot of second rate reviewers who come off as cheerleaders really, and then there are some divas who on occasion pass of as high priestess (though this latter category has been quiet for some time).

I'm just glad I'm spending less, and I generally put more trust on forum contributors/posters who paid with their own pockets.

But then again that's just me.

Edit: I laugh at some descriptions like "bass is smooth", and I'm like "what does that even mean?"
This line gets copied and pasted in every following review... ugh.
Tight bass , transparent , tone , seperation all nice audio lingo.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 10
I’ve purchased due to the essence that I found was in the review. The best reviewers are able to put a critical reality into their presentation. It should be like someone describing character for better or worse.

It’s true some reviewers get free headphones or even checks in the mail then continue to candy coat any possible downsides about a product. The issue concerning........if it’s more a presentation or review is simply a question of semantics. In reality there are some which lean to the side of presentation and some which are more critical. No product is perfect.

Though many reviews say everything is wonderful. Sadly there are no $900 headphones for $100. There are no $2000 amps for $100; though there are readers who believe such possibilities could exist and are dumbstruck to find reality. Some folks simply don’t have a reference point to do a review, so readers need to understand and clue-in on that lack of reference. If someone does not own correct gear then they seem to be impressed easily and have no reference point to be critical. It’s not their fault to be impressed by amazing cheap but good headphones, it’s just we need to take every review with a grain of salt, as it’s simply one subjective opinion.

The truth is that there are values out there. Though depending on preference that value is very subjective. The basic theme here should be that people describe the products and try to find the flaws and attributes and put the products in place in relation to other “like” products. That just written is the complete goal of Head-Fi from a consumer perspective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back