Reviews of MG HEAD and Sugden's Headmaster
Aug 17, 2001 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RGA

100+ Head-Fier
I know that some of you own theseproducts but I don't see any reviews for them.

UHF magazine gave a good review to the MG HEAD but was wondering if you had more info on it. Also, the Sugden unit looks wonderful and I'm trying to find out how much it would sell for in Canada and if it's available in British Columbia.

It takes me forever to decide on things, but I like to cover all my bases. ASL apparently is working on a new Tube preamp/Headphone amp and will be out for the Montreal CES show. That should be interesting.

Also anyone have pro's and cons with SS and Tube for the HD600s.

Thanks again

Aug 18, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Cn't comment on MG Head DT or the Headmaster since haven't heard neither. Just mind that Headmaster is considerably more expensive.
On the issue of SS vs tubes for HD600, the wide spread opinion is that HD600 sound better with tube amps. I personally use X-CanV2 and can't complain.
However there have been reports on SS amps working nicely with the 600s. Corda is a typical example. I used to use OBH11 by Creek (also SS) and it worked fine.

Aug 18, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Many also use the Headroom Max with the HD600, and that's a solid-state amp. It's far more expensive than the Sugden Headmaster, though, let alone the MG Head DT.

Aug 19, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, it is widely reiterated and accepted that the Senn 600s are at their absolute best in a tubed system. I can personally attest to the wonderfully intimate experience it is listening to these headphones with quality tubes. Personally, I couldn't ask for more... Except for possibly the Cary 300B SET amp to drive these things, like the Sterophile snobs recommend...
smily_headphones1.gif

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back