Reviews of Matrix Revolutions (Spoilers starting on Page 3)
Nov 11, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #46 of 55
My problem with the ending wasn't that it was peaceful, it was that it was an unrealistic peace, I mean these humans and machiens have been literally killing each other off for how long? And they're just going to say well lets be friends? Another reason I didn't like the ending was that it created more questions than it answered. I mean the way it ended people will still be born into The Matrix, only they can leave if they want, well what if everyone decides to leave? Would the machines just stand idly by while they allowed themselves to become extinct? And since the entire struggle was based on humans being born into bondage and being used as slaves, do you honestly think the humans who had fought to try and free humanity would simply let the Matrix continue to exist? I honestly don't think so given the nature of man. The only other thing that really bothered me about the ending was that I can just see the Wachowski Bros. about twenty years down the road making another trilogy so as to "complete" this one, what really scares me is that I see this trilogy heading the same way that Star Wars did, and the last thing I think anyone wants to see is the Wachowski Bros. turning into a collective George Lucas.

Nov 11, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #47 of 55
In the beginning there was Man. He created the machines. He imbued them with AI and makes them into his likeness. In other words they are his children. Like I said if you treat the machines not as machine per se but something with a soul (thus the significance of the robot trial in the 2nd Rennaisance Part 1) it'd be easier to understand. He mistreated them and refuse to accept them as equals (UN scene). But at the same time he needs them to live his life. In the Matrix, the role is reversed. The machines need the humans for their survival. Both cannot afford the other to be extinct. It would mean their own extinction. In Reloaded there was a scene where the councillor was talking to Neo and saying how he doesn't know how the water pump works (reference to the machines) but he knows that it has to work for them to survive.

Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
My problem with the ending wasn't that it was peaceful, it was that it was an unrealistic peace, I mean these humans and machiens have been literally killing each other off for how long? And they're just going to say well lets be friends? Another reason I didn't like the ending was that it created more questions than it answered. I mean the way it ended people will still be born into The Matrix, only they can leave if they want, well what if everyone decides to leave? Would the machines just stand idly by while they allowed themselves to become extinct? And since the entire struggle was based on humans being born into bondage and being used as slaves, do you honestly think the humans who had fought to try and free humanity would simply let the Matrix continue to exist? I honestly don't think so given the nature of man.

That's the beauty of the ending. Instead of Neo blasting the machines into oblivion, the Wachowski brothers made it a hell more complicated than that. Just like in the real world. When both parties realise that they need each other to survive, they know peace was something they had to work at. Nobody said that peace was going to be easy. Neo gave them that first opportunity to "talk". They have to work out the small little details. Just like in a real peace talk. Like how are they going to allow humans to leave the Matrix without giving up their source of power etc. Thus the significance of the One. His role is not to destroy. That would be way too easy and doesn't require many questions to be answered. His role is to bring these 2 parties back together. Bring back the parent and child together again.

Instead of going out in a big bang the Wachowski brothers gave it an open ending which opens up a lot of possibilities. I way prefer this more than have it go with a big BANG! That type of ending is way too common and the easy route to take. The Wachowski brothers made it more real. Where they failed is that the concepts are hard to explain. This was true even in the first movie.

Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
The only other thing that really bothered me about the ending was that I can just see the Wachowski Bros. about twenty years down the road making another trilogy so as to "complete" this one, what really scares me is that I see this trilogy heading the same way that Star Wars did, and the last thing I think anyone wants to see is the Wachowski Bros. turning into a collective George Lucas.

I hope the hell not. But they did say that there will animes to continue where Revolutions left off. Whether there will be a movie I can't say but I doubt so seeing how many people didn't quite like the last 2 movies. But I guess Warner Bros will milk this as much as they can and the open ending to Revolutions will allow them to do just that. A big BANG! ending will not allow this. Not even a prequel as the Animatrix has already done that.

Nov 12, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #48 of 55
Choice.

Its amazing to see how many people today "chose" to stay in "the Matrix" today vs. take the path towards self discovery to become who they really are.

As for energy sources, the sun still exists. Just have to get past the clouds.

Nov 12, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by mcgino

As for energy sources, the sun still exists. Just have to get past the clouds.

Yep. That part always bug me. Why can't the machines just get past the clouds and get back their original energy source. Then they do not need humans and are free to wipe them all out.

Nov 12, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #50 of 55
Eh, like any established franchise, the universes have massive holes in logic and dynamics in the universe.

I always thought the humans as battery thing was pretty flawed anyways. You need to feed humans to make them produce any energy at all. Whatever they use as food could be used as a fuel and bypass the wasted step using humans. But the human battery device is needed to create the story, like not being able to reach the sun is also.

Nov 16, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #51 of 55
Just wanted you guys to know that it was I who changed the title of this thread.

Nov 16, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth
I always thought the humans as battery thing was pretty flawed anyways.

I believe that comes from The Second Renaissance as well, when they say that the machines view all life as sacred, hence why they do not kill the humans outright, only enslave them to become a power source.

The machines turned that symbiotic enslavement into a term of winning the war, so all those who weren't enslaved were free to die, because they were still against the machines.

now why their APU's didn't have some sort of glass shield i don't know, the resistance could have lasted a whole lot longer with some sort of protection there. At least the sentinals were doing their show flying for the event, and their clumping made shooting them down a whole lot eaiser.

Personally didn't really like the movie though.

Nov 17, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

To those where it didn't I suggest you look at the Animatrix cartoons "The Second Renaissance Part 1" and "The Second Renaissance Part 2". You will then realise that the ending makes a lot of sense.

The thing is, after watching the animatrix, revolutions makes LESS sense. For ex: why so much sympathy towards machines in the animatrix?

Quote:

Just like in the real world. When both parties realise that they need each other to survive, they know peace was something they had to work at. Nobody said that peace was going to be easy.

Huh? See: Palestine. See: Rwanda. See: China. See: Stalinist Russia. See: Colombia.
Saying that the Wachowski brothers took some poetic license is ok. Comparing the ending to what happens in the "real world" is not.

Nov 17, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #54 of 55
"Reloaded" already sucked out all my dissapointment I could give, so" I watched "Revoulutions" pretty calm, despite the same annoying, pathetic dialogues and uninventive story line which doesn`t tell us anything new as it pushes its way through this chaotic labyrinth of events taking place randomly in the real world, the matrix and somewhere in between. It could go on for ever and ever, as we shall probably see in another series of sequels in a couple of years.

"The Matrix" was a complete and lovely piece of SF movie art, worth every additional watching. "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" are just popcorn movies.

Nov 17, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
"The Matrix" was a complete and lovely piece of SF movie art, worth every additional watching. "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" are just popcorn movies.

Unfortunately, you are exactly right.

While watching Relaoded and Revolutions, I always had the impression that those films were deliberately aimed at a teenie audience. They looked as if the studio had taken control and as if any aesthetic vision the Wachowskis might have had had been pushed aside. Reloaded and Revolutions looked visually boring, streamlined. On the other hand, many contributions to the Animatrix are simply stunning, just as great as the original Matrix - because they are true to its Anime spirit, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back