Reviews of Matrix Revolutions (Spoilers starting on Page 3)
Nov 6, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #31 of 55
I've watched the first one at least 50 times, I've (cough) suffered through the Reloaded 5 or so times, and I thought Revolutions was simply just mediocre.

I've seen Revolutions twice now and it didn’t get any better the second time.

I just didn’t like the ending. It seemed like the writers just got tired one day and decided to call it quits. The story was just not as good as the first one. IMHO

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #32 of 55
Everyone at my school told me they liked the first one better than the second, but I personally LOVED the second and though it was the way the first one should have been. I have a feeling I'm going to like the third as well. The trailer I saw looked freaking awesome!!

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 55
I think I'm going to see it again at the IMax. The battle scenes are awesome. It reminds me of the Two Towers, The One, and Independence Day battle scenes. The screen just wasn't big enough to reallly appreciate it.

I would've liked a better ending, though. Although Revolutions said why it couldn't be done, I expect subversive elements to continue in the future. Guess we'll have to settle for a comic book continuation. Or a made for TV movie.

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #34 of 55
Two friends of mine, huge fans of the first movie, as I am, saw it earlier tonight and told me not to even bother with it, rent the dvd when it comes out.
Now THATS disappointing. Based on what they said regarding the the exit polling of moviegoers on Entertainment Tonight earlier, the public seems to feel the same way, thumbs down for number three. I had hoped for so much more to make me forget the second one and save the series.

JC

Nov 7, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
...not to even bother with it, rent the dvd when it comes out.

I don't think it is anywhere as bad as Total Recall, Spiderman, or The Hulk...

When I leave the theatre, I always ask myself, "Will you buy the movie when it comes to DVD?"

In this case, the answer is "Yes". Heck, I refused to go to the men's room when I really had to, for fear that I would miss a scene. And in my packed theatre I was only aware of one person getting up and going to the men's room (at least those in the first 15 rows).

I may not buy T3 when it comes out next Tuesday. To me, that was a far worse movie.

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I don't think it is anywhere as bad as Total Recall, Spiderman, or The Hulk...

When I leave the theatre, I always ask myself, "Will you buy the movie when it comes to DVD?"

In this case, the answer is "Yes". Heck, I refused to go to the men's room when I really had to, for fear that I would miss a scene. And in my packed theatre I was only aware of one person getting up and going to the men's room (at least those in the first 15 rows).

I may not buy T3 when it comes out next Tuesday. To me, that was a far worse movie.

DAMN and I had hopes for T3
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 9:24 AM Post #37 of 55
I saw it a couple days ago and thought while it had lots of eye candy, everything else was horrible. I'm almost sorry I paid $7 for it. It just seems like they just threw down some stuff on paper while writing it and didn't care. Also, is it just me or did Keanu get worse at acting? I seriously hope that this isn't the Star Wars of my generation (I kinda hope LOTR will be but I'm not so sure most of my generation is truly thoughtful enough to appreciate Tolkien's masterpiece, especially considering the books are old by their standards and the movies are too long for the ADD generation).

At least T3 blew the world up at the end, the Matrix should have too it sucked so much.

Nov 8, 2003 at 9:51 AM Post #38 of 55
Well it may not be a good movie, but it was definitely a fun movie, imo.

I took as a good action film. Nothing more than that. If I think about the story too much, it starts to bother me, so I just don't.

I went for the spectacle, and that's what I got. Nothing deep and meaningful for me here, just good old fashioned fun for those days you just want to watch and experience and not think.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #39 of 55
My main problem with the movie is that they took all the trouble to put in this large story with allusions, references, and symbolism and then they just threw it all away. Even if you loook at the movie as a pure action flick, it doesn't stand up well. It's all been done.

Nov 8, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #41 of 55
dabbler: have you seen Kill Bill? Now there was a great action flick. An insane amount of action mixed in with enough story to really get you interested.

Nov 8, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 55
Nope not yet, but hopefully I will, soon. It was just easier to get people interested in Matrix 3.

Heck, I still want to see "Alien - The Director's Cut" and "Lost In Translation" (not an action movie...or possibly a different kind of action? must bring the girlfriend...)

Nov 8, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 55
I loved The Matrix, I loved The Matrix: Reloaded; though I did feel it wasn't as climatic as its predacessor, and the original techno songs by Don Davis sucked compared to the Propellerheads - Spybreak and Prodigy's - Minefield, but other than that I loved the damn movie. As for Matrix: Revolutions, it was excellent, it par'ed with the first, atleast until the last ten minutes of the movie. I mean the fight scenes were extraordinary, the slow motion fight sequences were absolutely amazing works of cinematography. As for the plot line it was just as thick as the second with some of the same innovation that made the first so great. But now the problem comes in: the ending. When I realized where it was all headed it felt as if I was fooling around with a girl moving onto third base when all of the sudden u have the horrible realization that this is a transvestite. Yes it was that much of a let down. Lets just say that it was too cliche and comprimised for anyone to really have enjoyed, not to mention it leaves so much room for additional sequels, I mean at this rate they're going to have to make a 4th just to give the trilogy some sense of closure. For a plot line that was so centered around the balancing of equations the answer to the equation set up by the Wachowski Bros. was an incredible inconsistency. It was as if I had just completed one of my triangular vectoring problems in Calc. 2, and after spending three pages of work on one equation, I find out that the probablity is 0. But that's Calculus, something I hate, this was the Matrix something I was enamored with (well a normal persons enamored, not a Star Wars fan enamored), so the resulting answer was a huge dissapointment. But go and see it, it is definitely worth the money, just try not to hate yourself too much. Oh and to top it all off they didn't roll out the credits to Rage Against the Machine, and that is a sin for which they will never be forgiven!

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #44 of 55
But in my opinion, I think that we might miss one point here. Maybe the Revolution is actually the second half of the Reloaded? Just because the Reloaded is so long that they have to divide it into two parts. The Reloaded is fun since it was full of action and music, but the Revolution has all the conclusion the Reloaded need to finish the whole story. The question is, will you still feel bad about the Revolution if you never watch theh Reloaded before and instead you watch the Reloaded and Revolution as once? I think what we forget is...The Reloaded and Revolution are just half of the SAME movie...
NEO

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #45 of 55
I've seen Revolutions and I like it. Reloaded was so so. I even liked the ending to Revolutions. It makes sense. To those where it didn't I suggest you look at the Animatrix cartoons "The Second Renaissance Part 1" and "The Second Renaissance Part 2". You will then realise that the ending makes a lot of sense.

I think those people who liked the original Matrix but hated Reloaded and Revolutions already has this image of how it should end. I think they expect Neo to kick ass and be the human's salvation and kick the machines into oblivion but if you had followed the background stories provided by the Animatrix you will understand the reason why it ended the way it did. The humans and the machines provide a symbiotic relationship to each other and one cannot survive without the other. It's actually a message of peace. If you were to treat the machines as an another alien race and not machines per se you will see the need for the fragile peace at the end of Revolutions. The Wachowski brothers were brave enough to make it different from how most people expect it to end. Of course they also made it a whole lot more difficult to understand which was a big no no for the general public.

Heck I even dig Reloaded. It answered a lot of questions towards the end when the Architect explained everything to Neo. I guess that part went over a lot of people's head. Reloaded was as brave as the 1st one was when it first debuted. But it was slow as molasses but on hindsight I know why it was necessary than a lot of people gave it credit for. With Revolutions a lot of questions was also answered (many will disagree with me here) but then I didn't have a misconception on how the series should develop or how it should end.

Go watch the Animatrix for the background story. Reloaded and Revolutions and the way it ended will make a lot of sense. Of course if you still don't get it, forget about it and don't watch Reloaded or Revolutions or just watch it for the action.

Personally I believe the Matrix trilogy will stand the test of time better than LOTR. Just like Star Wars did in its time. Why? Because the story of LOTR has been around for a long time already and has been discussed to death since it first debuted. So nothing new there. The Matrix on the other hand presents a new Universe. Just like Star Wars did in its heyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back