reviews of inexpensive IEMs (mostly w/ mic) for talking first, sound second
Aug 12, 2015 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

portaear

New Head-Fier
This thread is intended to give review on IEMs which are mostly used for talking (cell phone, facetime, hangouts, skype, etc..).   Since I spend hours in conference calls and talking, having comfortable, and good clear IEMs for talking are a must. 

The priority for the IEMs reviewed in this thread are in this order:

1) quality of voice via mic,
2) comfort for long calls,
3) quality of sound

Back story:

I purchased some truly awful IEM's w/ mics from discount stores (like Marshall's, etc) a few months ago, generic brands like "iCall" "iTalk", etc.  They were around $8 each, and by far the worst IEMs I have ever had the displeasure to use.  I could not believe headphones could sound so terrible.  

So I began my search for bargain IEMs that actually have good voice calling quality and sound decent.  I've been acquiring cheap IEM's from Monoprice, Amazon, various deal forums like SlickDeals, etc...  Since most of these cheap IEMs don't have good or any reviews, hopefully this thread will help those who are in the same boat I'm in.  Most of these IEM's are under $20, some under $10, and some even under $5!!

What I use as the standard to compare all else against: Meelectronics M9P-SL headphones.  I purchased half a dozen of these in 2012 - 2013, and loved them, used them, until I'm on my last pair now.  Since the originals are no longer being made, and the 2nd gen are more expensive, I'm desperate to find great IEMs w/ mic to replace them.  The M9P-SL's sound was very good, and my voice sounded clear and full to others.

How I test:  I call from my iPhone to my Android phone, and leave various voicemails.  I then use the M9P-SL, as well as the cheap Monoprice 8320's to listen to the voicemail, and grade the IEM's on sound clarity, quality, and fullness of the voice.

This is a work in progress, and I will update the post with pictures and other details as I get time to post them.

Table of contents:

Wired IEMs w/ mic

Meelectronics M9P-SL (first gen) ~$13-$15 my purchase price
Aduro SoundJolt Sweat-Resistant & Lightweight Sports Earphones w/ mic  ~$4-$5
Monoprice Hi-Fi Reflective Sound Technology Earphones w/ Microphone  ~$10
Xiaomi Piston 3 generation earphone w/ mic  ~$16-$20
Panasonic RPTCM125A Headphones w/ mic  ~$11-$13

Wireless IEMs w/ mic

Kmashi Arma K3 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones w/ mic  ~$16-$25
Soundpeats Qy7 Mini  Lightweight Wireless Headphones w/ microphone ~$20-$30

REVIEWS - Wired IEMs w/ mic:

Meelectronics M9P-SL (first gen) - 5/5 stars
These are my gold standard for cheap, good sounding IEMs for phone calls, and they actually are pretty decent for music too.  I think I acquired my first one for under $15, and it came with a nice case, extra silicone tips, and sounded great for phone calls.  At the time I had no appreciation for how great they were, but I ended up buying half a dozen more as I tend to abuse my IEMs by snagging them on furniture and also crushing them in my pockets.  Had I known how really great they were for my priorities, I would have bought at least 30 - 40 more to last me a lifetime!  Too bad they are no longer being made, so I must find other suitable replacements.

Voice sounds full and loud here, I have never had anyone not hear me.  The ear buds are very comfortable (I use the L size tips) and I can talk on them for hours on end.  Noise isolation is also excellent, so even if I'm somewhere noisy, I can still hear the other party clearly.  When I am driving and talking, most people don't even realize that I'm in a moving vehicle.  It truly is high quality for making phone calls.

I wasted some of these by using them at the gym when I didn't need the mic feature, torturing them at the gym just for music, and I really regret not saving them for phone calls use only.

Aduro SoundJolt Sweat-Resistant & Lightweight Sports Earphones w/ mic - 3/5 stars
These were super cheap, that I purchased 5 of them for the price of 1 or 2 other cheap IEM's.  That said, they are not the worst IEM's I have used.  The voice comes across a little tinny, as if you're talking through a can a little, but still acceptable for beater earphones for use at the gym or in bed.  The sound is also not as full as other IEMs...lacking a multi-dimensional quality to them.  I just received these and tested them out for calls, and will be updating this review as I use them much more.

Monoprice Hi-Fi Reflective Sound Technology Earphones w/ Microphone - 4/5 stars
I was surprised at quality of these IEMs.  With virtually no reviews online to reference, I was taking a gamble buying these.  These are surprisingly capable IEMs for decent voice calls, and the sound is also of a higher quality compared to the Aduro SoundJolt as well, although not as rich as the M9P-SL's.  The voice comes across fairly clear, and fairly full.  The sound is also good for hearing the other party speak, although noise isolation is not good as the M9P-SL's.  Over all a very competent IEM for phone calls.

Side story - my partner was using some cheap IEM w/ mic, acquired from one of the big box stores (over-priced junk), and the other person was complaining that she could not hear her speak.  I gave her the Monoprice Hi-Fi IEM to use, and the other party said it sounded much better and they continued to chat for 30 minutes with no issues.  My partner now keeps these in her purse for use all the time now.

Xiaomi Piston 3 generation earphone w/ mic - 2.5/5 stars
The jury is still out on this one.  I was very excited to receive this based on all the positive reviews.  I received the simplified packaging version and was disappointed when I tried them out.  My voice call was a little on the soft / muddy side, and sound was also a little muddy.  I happened to call a friend to get his opinion on these, and he said he had a hard time understanding me.  When I switched to the Monoprice Hi-Fi IEMs he said I was much clearer.  

My personal testing on my own calls to my voicemail also seems to indicate the sound is not as clear as I expected.  I will be further using these and testing them to see if my initial impressions are correct.  As an aside, the microphonics on this IEM is terrible.  The fabric cord, and the grooved metal cord holder make a lot of noise, to the point where the other party will ask me what that sound is.  Stay tuned.

Panasonic RPTCM125A Headphones w/ mic - 4.5/5 stars
I bought these after reading a great review on the wirecutter site.  These are cheap but well endorsed.  When I received them I noticed the extremely cheap build quality.  The earphones are light cheap plastic, and the cables are extremely thin and look pretty fragile.  However for phone calls they are excellent.  The voice comes across very clear and loud.  The sound is a little bit lacking as there is not much bass.  The ear buds are fitted to an oval ear piece, so noise isolation is not as good as the M9P-SL.

Having used these for two weeks, I am very pleased with them as beater IEMs for long calls.  I've used the for 2-3 hour long calls and no one has complained they had problems hearing me.  Overall they work pretty well despite the appearance of weak build.  The sound / isolation could be better, but I really don't have much to complain about here.  Durability is a concern with the light build, so I will see how long they last.

REVIEWS - Wireless IEMs w/ mic:

Kmashi Arma K3 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones w/ mic - 1/5 stars
I got these primarily for the gym, so not as to have wires to snag on. However since they are advertised as having a mic, I was interested in trying them out.  However, the voice / audio quality is abysmal for phone calls.  The mic is by the ear bud, very far from the mouth, so the voice is very faint and difficult to hear under the best of circumstances.  I would only use these as a last resort to make a quick call.  If I need to have an extended conversation or important call, I would not use these.

However sound-wise these are great for the gym.  They are not as full sounding as my good wired IEMs, but for bluetooth they work, especially being very cheap (under $20), and best of all provide great freedom of movement at the gym.  They are perfect gym ear buds.

Soundpeats Qy7 Mini  Lightweight Wireless Headphones w/ microphone - TBD
This is a placeholder to test this IEM out.  I have been so busy with the other IEMs I have not tried these.  Will be updated once I test these out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back