Reviews & Impressions - But; what about your audiometry?
Aug 9, 2011 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
There's a lot of reviews, impressions and elaborations on the forum, and that's the essential part of it. That's good.

However, head-fi is a hobby where we all want to keep our hearing ability intact, so I just pop the questions:

- When was the last time you took an audiometry?
- And what was the result?

I took a test this year (late April) and was positivly surprised to get confirmation of no hearing loss, nor age induced hearing loss (yet). I'm 40+.

I think about getting another audiometry to measure above 8K.

Treat your ears right to still enjoy this hobby.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Good point although there is not much you can do about age-induced hearing loss.  You can however reduce noise induced losses by keeping the volume down.

Of course your test only goes to 8kHz so you may still have lost the top octave.

I swear that I have heard some high end Grados  that woud seem to acceptable only to someone missing the top 3 octaves of hearing. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
There's a lot of reviews, impressions and elaborations on the forum, and that's the essential part of it. That's good.

However, head-fi is a hobby where we all want to keep our hearing ability intact, so I just pop the questions:

- When was the last time you took an audiometry?
- And what was the result?

I took a test this year (late April) and was positivly surprised to get confirmation of no hearing loss, nor age induced hearing loss (yet). I'm 40+.

I think about getting another audiometry to measure above 8K.

Treat your ears right to still enjoy this hobby.

Interestingly, I have been thinking of doing such test for a while as last time was 10 years ago (no loss at the time, I was ~25). I think it's a great recommendation for anyone to do this and I congratulate you on your excellent hearing! As you know, damage induced hearing loss manifests itself at 4kHz and the drop widens / depends with time. You're showing no sign of it!

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 9
There's no substitute for good hearing. Watch that volume knob and keep it under 85dB. My typical listening range is 70-80dB, and I'm careful to take a break after two hours or so of continuous listening. If you want to know what your maximum range is, a simple software tone generator can tell you that. If you play a tone at 18K and hear nothing - you're deaf at 18K. Again watch the volume though. Blasting frequencies above your maximum range is still not good for you.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 9
We are not all that lucky.  I have had 2 operations to correct conductive hearing loss, and operating too much heavy equipment, gunnery exercises, rock concerts, etc has knocked out the higher frequencies.  But I have never enjoyed music more in my life-time.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
It's a painful subject for an audiophile.  I'm also forty plus and never had the test.  I suspect that twenty plus years of dance music (from acid house onwards) in clubs and bars, and often in a state of mind where ability to judge sound levels is impaired, hasn't done my hearing much good. 

I would rather keep my head in the sand.
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 9
My father took an audiometry test a few weeks ago. And sadly, he seems to have damage-induced hearing loss. His test showed a recession in hearing from 3.5khz to around 6khz. I feel sorry for him, but he's over 50 years old so I guess he has heard plenty of music in his lifetime.
The saddest thing is that now he's using cheap $10-$20 General Electric brand headphones that sound so tinny, I fear they are making his hearing even worse..But he doesn't seem to mind.
blink.gif

So yes; Take good care of your ears, and they will reward you!

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 9
I've always wondered about this test.  The equipment used especially the headgear always seems so flimsy.  I always wonder if the associated equipment is actually capable of producing the tones involved with the test.  

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Maybe bring my own the next time. Hm. LCD-2 r2 or the K702? 
rolleyes.gif

But 125Hz <-> 8KHz. I guess that does not require much of the headphone involved. And you sit inside a well sound proof box / chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back