Reviewing Upgrade Options
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ZaWorld

New Head-Fier
I currently have a grado sr60 and am now considering an upgrade to $300 headphones.

I plan to use the headphones mainly with my laptop and an integrated soundcard.

I do not have enough money for a good amp now. So will something like a sennheiser hd600 or a denon ah-d2000 sound worst than a sr60 without a amp.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 2
I can't make any comparisons since I haven't heard an SR60, but I can say that my HD580(same drivers as the HD600) sounds pretty good to my ears out of my laptop. I don't really have much experience though and my other cans are Sextetts which are probably more power hungry than the HD580s; so, I really can't help you that much.

I think if you're planning on getting an amp within the foreseeable future, then it's okay to get high impedance headphones since you do plan on getting the gear that can drive 'em. But for $300, you can get an amp and a decent pair of easy to drive headphones as well. So, you have have to make the decision of getting a budget amp + cans in the $100-150 range or $300 headphones now and get an amp later.

Lastly, you gotta consider sound signature. It's a possibility that you won't like the Senns or the Denons because they don't click with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back