Reviewing a Lesser known IEM: The Koss KDX 200
May 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TheGloriousEnd

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experiences with the Koss KDX 200, which I originally found on the Koss website, and after some digging, found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/584482/review-the-50-koss-kdx200-an-audiophile-detective-story James gave a nice little review on these, and given my needs for a very durable, multi purpose iem for a small amount of money, I went ahead and bought them. ($46 with shipping from buy.com) After 5 months of pretty heavy daily use, they've held up quite well, and sound excellent, especially given their low price. 

Sound wise, these seem to favor the more consumer oriented bass heavy sound signature, but they manage to do it in a very koss-like way. The bass of these headphones is interesting because it's boosted primarily in the very low sub bass range, with the tendency towards bass heaviness not muddying up the mid range at all. In fact, the mid range is quite well defined, in a very pleasant sort of way. Comparatively, it's rather forward sounding (in that it's actually present) though not as much as my full sized Koss Pro4 aat's. The midrange does seem to have a bit less detail and punch compared to the pro4's, though it's not such a difference that I regret the times when the full sized can aren't around. The high end is quite neutral, and rolls off a bit, but not to the extent they sound overly soft. Along with the mid range, it's quite pleasing, and I think to most it will be quite satisfying.

This sound signature can be a bit fatiguing on the more drum heavy metal, and some electronic (not really a rap/hip hop listener, but presumably the same principle would apply). Then again, that's more my taste than anything. I'm sure bassheads will really enjoy them for these types of music...I must admit, they are really entertaining for period of and hour or less with these kinds of music...With most other genres, from folk to rock to ambient, they're really satisfying! Definitely awesome considering their price, and that I can unhesitatingly use them while working out, or when out and about. 

Build quality is of course excellent, with aluminum enclosures and excellent strain relief. The 1/8th inch jack connector does seem bit less free from potential strain, but I haven't had any problems on it. One thing to note is that there are little white covers that protect the canal to the drivers, which collected quite a lot of earwax before they fell off. This freaked me out for about half a second, but then of course I realized they has no impact on the sound. I've been without the little covers for a few months now, and nothing has got back into the drivers. One other thing to note is that koss has a superb lifetime warranty on these, so if they ever break, send them back, and get a new pair for the cost of shipping. That simple.

Sorry for being long winded, I just feel these are really an excellent and very underrated pair of iems! Most certainly worth their quite low price. I really don't think there's anything in their price range that can match them, particularly in the build quality department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back