[Reviewer Request] Dekoni Audio's new HD8XX Balanced 4 Pin XLR Cable
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Hey Head-Fiers,

Dekoni is looking for three reviewers to check out our new HD8XX Balanced 4 Pin XLR Cable.

The rules for review:
1. You must have previous review content, please provide us with links to these.
2. You must write or record a review in a timely manner (about 1 month Max)

Please send all requests to Dylan@DekoniAudio.com
This request is open to international reviewers as well.

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Congratulations in advance to everybody who gets a spot. :relaxed: Looking forward to your impressions!

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 13
"HD8XX cable...for HD800, HD800S and HD820"

So it will also fit HD8XX? Or no?

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 13
Regular HD800 owners can apply too?

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 13

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Okay, so here is my review of the Dekoni Audio HD8XX Balanced 4 Pin XLR Cable (Disclaimer: the cable was provided to me for free, provided that I write a reviewing a timely manner):

It took only the weekend for me to receive the Dekoni Audio HD8XX 4-pin XLR cable (from NY to TX) and I have only spent the last several days testing it. Why am I posting the review now, when I could be spending more time testing it? Well, I already have three HD8XX (any type, whether it be HD800, HD800S, HD820, or HD8XX, and not the ear pads, which the HD820 differs from the others) cables that I have owned for at least two years: the stock Sennheiser cable with a silver 1/4” connector that came with the HD800, a stock Sennheiser cable with a black 1/4” connector that came with the HD800S, and an aftermarket 5’-6’ cable with a 4.4mm Balanced connector. The stock Sennheiser cable with a silver 1/4” connector eventually had the sheathing on the right side crack and expose the core, leaving the core to oxidize and turn green. The stock Sennheiser one with a black 1/4” connector is still being used today, so the sheathing was improved, but still feels the same, which is rubbery. The aftermarket one with 4.4mm balanced connector is the most durable with the most comfort of the three, so I will compare it directly with the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable in this review with pictures.

8539140E-8FF4-4F73-87A0-AD368D74A1EC.jpeg

The aftermarket HD8XX cable is lined with a fabric sheathing, while Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable is lined with plastic sheathing. While the fabric produced less microphonic resonance from friction that the rubber on the stock cables, the plastic on the Dekoni Audio cables produces even less microphonic resonance than the aftermarket cable. If anything, I have to rub the Dekoni Audio HD8XX plastic cable sheathing past the y-split and closer to my ear very fast to make some kind of audible microphonic resonance, which really does not happen in practice as you listen to music.

8D5CB322-A675-4A82-839E-C48B012C3B3C.jpeg

The aftermarket HD8XX connectors are on the left with the long strain reliefs, whereas the Dekoni HD8XX connectors are on the right. The Dekoni HD8XX connectors are shorter to better line up with the HD8XX ear cups, so that you are much less likely to poke yourself when shrugging your shoulders or leaning your head towards your shoulders. Durability is the same, but Dekoni proves to be more convenient and comfortable around this area.

6E73522C-5574-4981-8A4E-58DAB7592A0B.jpeg

The braiding of the aftermarket HD8XX cable was consistently about almost an inch from each other, whereas the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable braiding was much more intricate. The fabric sheathing and inner rubber lining of the aftermarket HD8XX thickness was greater than the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable’s plastic sheathing and metal core thickness, which not just further reduced microphonic resonance from friction...

D63F91BD-4972-4410-8EED-2B44FD59C0AF.jpeg

...but also caused less cable bending and snaging, either when storing the cables, like pictures above, or when listening and moving around. The overall convenience that the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable has leaves the listener worrying less about where the cable is moving and more on the details and nuances of what the listener is auditioning.

66607953-12B0-492C-B54E-A57F1B86861F.jpeg

The y-split connector for the aftermarket HD8XX cable is on top, whereas the y-split connector for the Dekoni HD8XX cable is on the bottom. Yes, the y-split connector above is obviously much heavier, but the final picture also visually summarizes the overall fit-and-finish of both cables. While the aftermarket HD8XX cable improves on a lot of the shortcomings that the stock HD8XX cables have, this aftermarket cable does not have fit-and-finish that the Dekoni HD8XX cable possesses, whether it is in the plastic sheathing, more intricate brading, shorter ear cup connectors, or the much lighter y-split connector.

All of the cables basically sound the same to me, so the differences are all in the physical details. However, just having the best overall fit-and-finish that the Dekoni HD8XX cable provides makes the higher price that much more worthwhile. Convenience and comfort are not sound details or nuances themselves, but add more enjoyment to the overall listening experience. Once again, I would like to formally thank Dekoni Audio for providing me this opportunity to make this review.

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Also, there would be one change that I would make to the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable, and that would be to have left-right physical indentations on the HD8XX connectors in L-R form and/or in braille dots, just in case the listener is blind or color-blind.

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Also, there would be one change that I would make to the Dekoni Audio HD8XX cable, and that would be to have left-right physical indentations on the HD8XX connectors in L-R form and/or in braille dots, just in case the listener is blind or color-blind.
Definitely something we overlooked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 13
I have a also received the cable and will be posting a full review. Disclaimer : Same as pbui44's review.

Build quality is excellent. Not microphonic at all, flexible, tangle free with a nice feel to the touch. Connectors are a bit stiff and you should be connecting/disconnecting with care. Will be listening using the below equipment and will revert soon.

Main: RME AD-2 DAC FS to Audiovalve RKV HAA edition.
Desktop: Chord Mojo+Poly to Drop THX AAA-789
Compared to: Stock Sennheiser 3m 4 pin XLR Cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back