Review: ZY Cable ZY-002 Balanced Cable and adapter for HD600
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

eliwankenobi

100+ Head-Fier
NOTE: I haven't used this cable directly into a balanced amp as I don't have a balanced amp to try them with. As soon as I receive my balanced DAC/Amp as described in the review, I will update this thread with my opinion on such configuration. Meanwhile, here is what I have so far.

Hey guys

just wanted to share my opinion about the cables I bought for my HD600.

Like many HD600 owners, I am very happy with them and love them... but the cable I find to be very long and its build quality is not up to par with this amazing headphone. So looking at a possible replacement, I wanted something that was a good alternative, but that would not brake the bank and would allow me more flexibility for the future as I'll detail later. I quickly found this cable, but did not find many reviews or opinions from users here on Head-Fi. Given the price and description of the cable, I decided to give them try.

I bought the ZY Hifi balanced cable (model ZY-002) directly from Shenzhen Audio and its appropriate adapter (model ZY-006) to single ended connection. The adapter they have is for balanced to 1/4" only. But after a quick email they talked to the manufacturer (ZY Cable) and they agreed to change the 1/4" connector to 1/8" so I can use it with my GeekOut 450.  I chose to go this route because whenever I'm not running the headphones balanced (like right now), I will be using a 1/8" port and I wanted to prevent having to use yet another adapter from 1/4" > 1/8". Besides, it is easier and cheaper for me to find a 1/8" > 1/4" adapter that is good quality when necessary, than it is to find a good 1/4" > 1/8" adapter... 

You can also buy them from Shenzhen Audio through Amazon. They have good reviews for the single ended versions and the balanced version, but it was better for me to go directly to Shenzhen for the connector swap. The price is a little lower directly from their webpage, but you wait WAY longer since they come from China.

The cables and connectors are of very good quality. Neutrik for the balanced and Canare for the 1/8" connector. They both feel solid and are better built than the stock cable by far. The cable itself doesn't tangle, it's a little bit shorter and easier to handle than the stock cable, which is a big plus for me.

I primarily bought it so I can run my HD600 balanced from my LH Labs Pulse Xfi balanced DAC/Amp when it arrives, and I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ for a balanced cable, which we all know, can go into the several hundred dollars mark. I am believer in that high purity copper is all you need and this is a very high purity copper cable (OCC 6N) at a very cost effective price with balanced connection.*** The adapter to single ended I find a bit overpriced but I wanted an adapter and it made sense to me to have the same cable as part of a kit. The cost for both was a hair over $100 with free shipping and no additional cost for changing the connector from 1/4" to 1/8". Overall I think its a good deal. 

The sound is very good! No complaints at all. I have not gone back and forth changing the cables for comparison. But nothing stood up immediately, perhaps some details are a little easier to perceive, but in general, I still have the amazing sound I get from my HD600s paired with my small but powerful GeekOut 450, but with a new cable that's better constructed and is more flexible to my needs. I any case, I highly recommend it if you don't want to spend a little more than half of the headphone's cost on a replacement cable. 

Here are some pictures for your pleasure

*** Perhaps at some point in the future I might experience one of the more expensive options available for this awesome headphone and change my opinion regarding upgrade cables.. So in general I am not trying to dismiss the value and/or any performance gains the more expensive cables may provide even if many of them are still made with the same high purity copper my ZY cable was made of. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 3
Comparisons to similar cables would rock even, or at least the stock cable reterminated with the same 4-pin XLR of the ZY cable.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 3
I plan on doing a proper comparison to the stock cable when I have some time. But good idea on buying the balanced cable and reterminating for comparison. That might take a while though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back