REVIEW: Yulong Sabre P18 power processing center and matching AC cable
Oct 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 24
Thanks Project86, I shall give those a try!

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 24
Nice, honest review.  I do happen to hear differences between power cables, but their cost goes up fast, so I've stuck with the lower end - MAC HC, Shunyata Venom 3.  

About the P18, I expect all or most of what you describe from any decent unit of the type.  However, what did you find about its effects on tonality and warmth, at least where you could tell a difference?  I ask because the two units I've tried, the Mapleshade/Clearview strip and a Panamax 5300, gave a razor sharp clarity to the music, but left it cool or cold (and the Clearview is bright bottom to top).  I'm more interested in natural tonality, which includes a bit of warmth.  

Beyond these type of units, in the past day I switched to a Porter outlet (cryo-treated hospital type) on my 2.0 TV-dac setup and it made a world of difference, even though there's a surge protector unit in the middle.  And w/o the coldness of those power units.  Others have suggested the same in the relative effects of changing outlets vs. most line conditioners, especially on the lower $$ end.  Thanks,

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 24
No, it's essentially a line conditioner (filter).

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 24
No, it's essentially a line conditioner (filter).

Thank you!

I know the least bit about electrical, just the very basic that spikes and drops in voltage = bad power = poor audio. So if there are spikes and drops, how does this 'filter' power to create better sound? Or it doesn't?

Also, how does it differ from say a Furman AC-215A (aside from the obvious 4 vs 2 outlets)?

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 24
Furman is a good company and makes nice gear. I'm not familiar with that unit though, so I can't comment on quality. The Yulong is specifically designed with audio gear in mind, while the Furman stuff tends to be more Audio/Video/General purpose until you get to the higher end lines. It's still nice equipment though.

The P18, as a passive filter type device, doesn't really work like a PS Audio Powerplant or similar which generates a new output.So the question about sine waves doesn't really work here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back