[Review] XePort 3010&7010 New Contenders for Budget IEMs!!!!
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rushofmusic

Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

First of all I’d like to thank XePort for their generosity in providing me with these two headphones samples. Hopefully this review will be able to shed some light on these headphones for those who are looking for headphones that are cheap and have good performance.
Both the 3010 and the 7010 I was sent have the same specifications:
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Frequency: 20Hz~20kHz
Sensitivity: 100dBSPL @ 1kHz, 1 mW
Rated Input: 5 mW
Max Input: 20 mW

For those in the dark, XePort has started a little stir in a few threads on Head-Fi with some comparing it to the Monoprice 8320s for their stellar performance-to-price ratio.

3010 (left) & 7010 (right)                                     7010 (left) & 3010 (right)

So now that those formalities are over, lets get to the actual review. Packaging is identical for both and relatively simple. Each package comes with the actual earbuds and 3 pairs of silicone tips in S, M, and L. The tips are decent quality, a little stiffer than Sony Hybrid tips but certainly not bad.

Accessories: 3 pairs of silicone tips, S, M, and L. A carrying case would be nice, but at this price, I can’t really ask for much more. (2/5)

Build Quality: The 3010 features metal housing that looks very nice but the material feels a little cheap. However, it does feel very durable, but it just doesn’t have the weight that you would expect of something that looks very metallic. The cord feels very well built to me, it is wrapped in cloth and seems durable enough, not too stiff and not too soft. The one gripe I personally have is the straight plug, especially since it doesn’t have the strain relief at the end where the wire comes into it. However, my worry is a bit alleviated by the build quality of the actual cable. I don’t think it will wear away any time soon. (7/10)
The 7010 are ceramic earbuds and have a bit more weight to them than the metal housings of the 3010. It features an almost identical cord, which I have no complaints about. The plug however, is a 45 degree angle plug and does feature a strain relief at the cable entrance. Ironically, the build of this plug feels like its made of cheaper material, but because of its features, I do feel a bit more comfortable with them. (8/10)

Isolation: The 3010’s small metal housings allow for very comfortable insertion for me and I get a very good seal. Even at low volumes, I am getting very good isolation. Walking around campus and sitting on a bus with these is absolutely no problem. (8/10)
The 7010’s isolation is actually just as good. Both these IEMs achieve great seal and I have no problem with their isolation at all. However, it does seem that the 7010s aren’t quite as efficient as the 3010 and needs a bit more power (at least on my Zune that I tried with them both with) to get the same volume. (7.5/10)

Comfort: Both these IEMs are extremely comfortable for me. The small metal housings of the 3010 are not intrusive at all and sit very comfortably in my ears. However, because they are so small and it actually happens that the width of the eartip is wider than the actual housing, some movement can cause the housing to wobble a bit because the IEMs pivot around the wider eartip inside your ear. This isn’t really that big a problem however. (7.5/10)
The 7010 has a small housing as well and the L shape of the housing actually matches the rim of my ear and is actually very comfortable where the bend occurs. However, simply because of their design, they cannot be worn over-the-ear. (7/10)

Microphonics: Unfortunately, this is where the XePorts could use some work. Whereas the cloth wrapped cable that provides good durability is one of its strong points, it seems to be a double-edged sword. The microphonics of the 3010 and the 7010 seem to be about the same to me so I will review them together. The cloth cable seems to conduct noise and friction more easily than a traditional wire simply because of the texture of their surface. Light taps and rubbing against the wire does cause more undesired noise than a traditional cord, but it is not unbearable. If you’re sitting still and not moving too much, then all of this isn’t a big deal. Walking around on campus was surprisingly alright and I barely noticed any microphonics. At least with the 3010 you can wear them over-the-ear which alleviates microphonics a little bit but does not cause them to disappear. With the 7010, this is impossible due to their shape.

3010: (7/10)
7010: (6/10)

Sound Quality: Finally the part everybody has been waiting for. In all honesty, I must admit that I expected both to have very similar sound signatures but I must admit that I was wrong in that assumption, so without further ado lets jump into it.

3010: This pair is surprisingly balanced and clear. The bass on these headphones are pretty decent, enough to be present, but never overbearing and they do not bleed into the mids either. They have decent speed and quantity. They are actually surprisingly deep as well and have good punch but lack a bit of boominess and air that most people associate with plentiful bass. However, for their price (~$10) the quality of bass is leaps and bounds better than what I would expect of something in this price range.

The mids on these IEMs are quite nice, definitely forward enough and have good body. Every word feels crisp and clear and separation of everything the mids is quite good. My one critique is that it might sound a little flat and metallic due to how clear it sounds, but this is just an observation of those who might find it that way, I actually like them as it is. While not as sweet sounding as some warmer headphones, the mids definitely make up for that with their accuracy.

The highs are the only bit that I would have some critiques on. The highs seems to lack a little control and roll off a bit. Hi hats and some very high pitched electronic sounds are a bit recessed and hard to hear. They actually seem to have a little buzz to them that isn’t quite what I would call sibilant but it definitely is something noticeable. Additionally, some of the highs do sound a bit metallic even in my opinion. Hopefully this might change after a bit of burn in. Other than these minor complaints, the highs are also very nice and clear although they do lack the sparkle in some higher end headphones like my TF10s.

The overall sound of the 3010s is relatively balanced and very clear. Separation is great with no aspect overpowering any other, only the highs could use a little work. Soundstage is pretty good too, while I wouldn’t call it airy, the headphones do sound pretty open and have good width. Depth is a little lacking; music sounds like it sounds right on the surface.

3010: (7.5/10)

7010: This pair is definitely more bass oriented and has a much more mellow sound.

The bass on these headphones are definitely more emphasized. They are punchy and have good depth, but are actually a bit more than what I would prefer. The bass is definitely more in your face than the 3010s and have better depth than the bass on the 3010s, however I feel that there is a bit of bleed into the mids.

The mids themselves are more recessed than the 3010s and have a much more laid back tone. The overall sound, along with the mids, in these IEMs is much warmer than the 3010s. Though they have a more intimate sound, it also leads to the impression that the sound is a bit on the muddy side. Vocals definitely aren’t as crisp as the 3010s and separation isn’t quite as great either. Due to the very warm nature of these IEMs, this tend to sound a bit recessed, not because they are being drowned out by the bass, but simply because the warm sound tends to mask them a bit. They also lack a bit of energy and sparkle.

Soundstage is narrower than the 3010s but has much greater depth. Overall, the warm sound gives these IEMs an intimate sound and makes them colorful and fun. I didn’t like them at first after getting used to my TF10s and then the 3010s but after some time with these, they have a very welcoming timbre. They are sweeter and smoother sounding than the 3010s but lack the clarity and separation of the 3010s.

7010: (7.3/10)

Value: Had I not known how much these IEMs cost, I would have guessed a few times they selling price. Compared $9.99 Skullcandy Ink’d earbuds, the XePort 3010 sounds like a godsend with much greater clarity, detail, separation, soundstage, and bass (essentially everything). Best of all, the 3010s are only $9.99 and the 7010s are $19.99. For their price, I could not ask for any.

Despite being a bit critical in my review, I reviewed these as if they were more expensive than what they sell for. Otherwise for their price they are simply outstanding.

Personally, I prefer the 3010s because of the clarity they have. However I must admit they can be a little metallic sounding and the highs lack a little control. Soundstage could also use a little more depth. On the upside, they have great clarity, separation, and a relatively balanced sound with a little more emphasis on bass.

The 7010s are very respectable in their own right with a very musical, fun, and warm sound signature. Bass is deep and powerful, but the warm sound masks up the mids and highs. I would be extremely happy if the sound cleared up more and the mids and highs had more energy and presence. Soundstage depth is improved at the expense of width.

3010: (9/10)
7010: (8.5/10)

In any case, I cannot emphasize how much I enjoyed listening to these headphones and being able to review them. I tried to be as honest as possible in this review and I hope it helps budget-oriented readers make a better decision on budget IEMs. XePort is making some great headphones at an amazing price point, I hope they have continued success with their products and I hope this review exposes more readers to their products.

Thanks again to XePort for the samples! :]

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 9
They are actually very similar both in form factor and material, the 7010s are also ceramic.
Unfortunately I've never heard the CC51s but I've heard good things about them and I know joker gave them favorable reviews.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 9
They didn't give you a pair of the 5010 to go with it? Supposedly the best one 
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 9
They weren't able to give me one due to high demand at the moment, I've heard that too. Fortunately they said they when they have a good amount back in stock they might be able to send me a pair for review :]

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 9
The 7010s share the EXACT same housing as the CC51s. I've compared them side by side. Unfortunately for the 7010s they don't sound very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back