Review: Whiplash Audio new Twag v2 GOLD C/IEM cable!!!
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rainman26

100+ Head-Fier
Many Thanks to Mr. Craig Sanborn for sending me the TWag v2 GOLD for review.

Introduction: When Whiplash introduced the TWag v2, I was curious on how it will affect the overall sound of an IEM/CIEM. After listening extensively to the TWag v2, I was amazed by the transparency and extended lows that it gave. The TWag replaced the stock cables that I used for my CIEMS.

Whiplash Audio TWag v2 GOLD

The TWag v2 GOLD is a 26awg stranded. This is an OCC wire with 99% silver and 1% gold. 1% gold? YES!, you heard it right. There is a one percent added gold in the cable. If you are curious now how it sounds with the gold added, keep reading.

Here are some pictures:

Comparison between TWag v2 and TWag v2 GOLD

Build Quality:

TWag v2 and TWag v2 GOLD: Both of the cables build quality is excellent. It doesn’t feel flimsy or fragile but it is flexible yet tough. The finish of the cable also feels smooth and perfectly built. There is nothing to complain in this region. There is no microphonics. The ergonomic feel of the memory wire is just right for me but for some people could be an issue if they have long or big ears.

Gear: Both of these cables were paired with Unique Melody Mage and listened through iPod Classic 5.5g amped with Pico Slim.

Sound Improvements:

TWag v2 and TWag v2 GOLD:

Highs: The TWag v2 made it more extended and none-fatiguing. The highs became more energetic and lively for classical and other genres. The improvement is really noticed in live recordings especially the detail of each instrument. The details are really excellent and improved. On the other hand, the TWag v2 GOLD carried all that characteristics of the TWag v2 and added more warmth and better instrument separation. The TWag v2 GOLD made the presentation and reproduction of instruments more refined and on-point. Especially when it comes to classical music, you can be sure where the instruments are. Overall the improvements in the highs are noticeable and full of fun.

Mids: The TWag v2 made it more lush and creamy. The creaminess would be best described as not super thick but it is inclined to thinness yet it is not super thin. It also added smoothness in both male and female vocals. The mids are also pushed a bit forward making it more alluring especially for Whitney Houston and Boyz II Men tracks. Moving with the TWag v2 GOLD, the mids became soulful, enveloping and forward. The vocals were so smooth and polished. If the TWag v2’s mids were a bit thin, the TWag v2 GOLD will get rid of that issue (if that is an issue on your part). The added bit of thickness made the tonality of the singer more seducing and full of emotion.

Lows: This is the strongest region for these cables. The bass on my Mages are fast and with a quick decay, what both the TWag v2 and TWag v2 GOLD did is to make it more extended. There’s an added bass quantity but not as large compared to the improvement in bass quality. In terms of fast paced bass, the TWag v2 and TWag v2 GOLD really brought out that solid and quick punches every time especially in house or trance genres. It made the bass more of a top-tier. The next question is, what sets apart the TWag v2 GOLD? It is the improved mid-bass and authority every time the bass kicks in. The mid-bass are well improved and meticulous. The mid-bass itself just sits in the bass region, it never sneaked up in the highs and the mids which made it more addicting and completes the whole spectrum.

Summary: Overall, the TWag v2 GOLD brought the missing warmth, soulful and solid bass presentation. That added gold made the highs and the mids more articulated and composed. The bass were more defined and constrained in the bass region only; it does not travel to the mids and highs.

Will I recommend the TWag v2 GOLD? Of course YES! If you want the well-ordered mids and highs with the added forward and realistic presentation at the same time dense lows, then it is time to get one.

One worth noting is that the TWag v2 GOLD is on sale for a VERY limited time. You can check here

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Your review is now added to the list in my signature. Thanks for your help in making Head-Fi consumers more informed in their cable decisions. I havent had a chance to read over your entire review but it's always appreciated when people write reviews. Especially for this very new cable.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Your review is now added to the list in my signature. Thanks for your help in making Head-Fi consumers more informed in their cable decisions. I havent had a chance to read over your entire review but it's always appreciated when people write reviews. Especially for this very new cable.

Thanks kenman. If you have time please take time to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back