[Review] Westone 2
Nov 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 33
Even though I had no problems with the stock gray single flange tips, I have found that I like the stock white triple flange that I cut back to double flange.  These seem to give me the best fit and sound.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 33
For the last week I've been listening to the UM2s I bought used from another head-fier and I'm very, very pleased.  They have all the comfort of my dearly departed UM1s, but they simply sound better - better bass, better mids, better highs.  I'm still completely confused about the differences between the W2 and UM2 (or if there are any sonic differences).  But, in any case I'm very happy.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #18 of 33
i haven't heard the w2s yet, but rawster's description is in line with others that i've heard. i used to own the um2s which sound like a less neutral phone, with a warmish, and not particularly tight lower end, and a bit of emphasis in the lower mids & upper bass. the um2s were not my ultimate universal but i must say that the w2s have gotten me curious, particularly with their favorable comparisons to two recent darlings - the sm3s & dba02s. of course there are new iems hitting the market that will have their following (eg. grado gr10, hifiman re262), but the w2s sound special. and their comfort and form factors are supposed to be outstanding.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
For the last week I've been listening to the UM2s I bought used from another head-fier and I'm very, very pleased.  They have all the comfort of my dearly departed UM1s, but they simply sound better - better bass, better mids, better highs.  I'm still completely confused about the differences between the W2 and UM2 (or if there are any sonic differences).  But, in any case I'm very happy.

I currently have the W2 in my hands. I was the next stop after Rawrster.
The W2 is not a stage monitor phone. It is more balanced than the UM2. It has less bass which is tighter and better controlled out of portable players. The mids are barely forward at all unlike the UM2 does to make them easier to monitor. The treble is brought up from the UM2 level. The W2 are more cohesive, balanced, have slightly better extension. The UM2 separate things out more than the W2. The W2 shows more detail and better texture. Most will find the W2 is quite an improvement.

My take on the W2 vs. DBA-02: The W2 is a better looking phone that has better build quality. I don't find the fit of one any better than the other. The DBA-02 is a brighter phone while the W2 is darker. For this reason, most people can use tri-flanges on the W2 without worry while the DBA, starting from more bright, can cross into sibilance. The DBA really needs to be darkened. You can't really approach them quite the same. I found the DBA is a step up. More detail, clarity, transparency, speed, sharper transients. Overall a more resolving phone with better imaging, accuracy, and dynamics. The W2 may have a slight bit more top to bottom height on the soundstage and they may hold the low bass extension a slight bit better. The W2 has clearly better build while the DBA is a clear SQ winner.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
i haven't heard the w2s yet, but rawster's description is in line with others that i've heard. i used to own the um2s which sound like a less neutral phone, with a warmish, and not particularly tight lower end, and a bit of emphasis in the lower mids & upper bass. the um2s were not my ultimate universal but i must say that the w2s have gotten me curious, particularly with their favorable comparisons to two recent darlings - the sm3s & dba02s. of course there are new iems hitting the market that will have their following (eg. grado gr10, hifiman re262), but the w2s sound special. and their comfort and form factors are supposed to be outstanding.

I think from all accounts that I've read of the UM2 and my listening experience with the W2 that the W2 would be closer to neutral than the UM2. However I've never heard so confirmation cannot come from me but jant71 did mention the differences above. I do really like the W2. They do have a small housing and comfort shouldn't be an issue. It also has the Westone braided cables so that's also a good thing and microphonics shouldn't be an issue either.

I didn't compare the two much but RE262 and the W2 are a bit different in signature and I find the RE262 to be better than the W2. The W2 does have better build quality and a better cable than the RE262 however and have a smaller housing so it was more comfortable but the RE262 isn't uncomfortable like a TF10 was for me.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 33
um, iirc stands for universal monitor. the um series is geared towards stage monitoring, as opposed to studio monitoring. the um series, therefore,  is meant to bring vocals, guitars etc a bit out from the mix.
the w series is meant for personal listening, eg. play it from your dap.
the #s refer to the # of drivers in the device. and more doesn't necessarily mean better. there are those who'd prefer the w2 to the w3, or so i'm told by someone who has extensive experience with both (and he often grabs his 2s when he heads out the door).

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 33
I was using the M9 bi-flanges(not the balance ones) with them before. Very nice. Then changed to what I think are large size JVC FX67 tips. Shorter, larger tips do help the stage open up a bit. These make the fit easier than bi-flanges. Very easy in and out.

The W2 has the more balanced signature. No doubt some will prefer the W2 to the W3.

As I said, these came to me after Rawrster so I have the IE7 here also. The IE7 do have the larger stage size but are just not quite as good a phone as the W2 are.  They do share in common the trait that they become much easier to fit changing to larger size tips.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 33
I didn't experiment much with tips. I tried a couple of tips with the smaller nozzle and then went for the balanced M9 biflange tips and never tried another tip. I've come to really like those tips regardless of the earphone as they work well for my ears. I'll definitely agree about some people choosing the W2 over the W3. I would be one of them. The W3 is not for me but the W2 would be.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
I'm just wondering, how do these compare to etymotic er4p/s?

Personally I think they are much better.  While the treble detail on W2 is not quite as much as ER4, it is plenty for most people and well above average but the W2 has a much fuller sound, more bass and a larger soundstage.  Mids would be similar.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

Personally I think they are much better.  While the treble detail on W2 is not quite as much as ER4, it is plenty for most people and well above average but the W2 has a much fuller sound, more bass and a larger soundstage.  Mids would be similar.

I couldn't have said it any better...

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

Spyro, how do the W2s compare to (what seem to be) your current darlings, the Grado GR10s? also, i'd like to hear more about how you see  the W2 vs the W3.

Quote:
jant71 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif. The W2 has the more balanced signature. No doubt some will prefer the W2 to the W3.

Anthony, could you please comment in more detail about this?

if either of you could also chime in with impressions about the W2s vs Shure 530s &535s, UM3xs, RE262s. MC5s, etc ,it'd be appreciated. tia.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #28 of 33
I think W2 is also more musical than ER4.

I think the GR10 beats the W2 pretty easily.  Bass is similar, perhaps just a pinch less on GR10.  Mids are just a tiny bit more forward on GR10 but not Shure-like forward.  Treble is more on GR10.  But the big difference is that GR10 is more airy, transparent, harmonic and musical.  Not sure if it has to do with multi-drivers or what but most all of my other IEM's (as much as I have enjoyed them) seem to have a somewhat manufactured sound where the GR10 sounds so "live" and refreshing.  Nothing between you and the music. I almost get goosebumps listening to acoustic vocal type music with them.  Sort of hard to explain but when you hear it, you know just what I am talking about.

W2 versus W3:  Yes, W2 is perhaps more balanced but I would definitely take the W3 for the richer fuller sound while it can still do everything that W2 does. Best way to describe is the W2 is like a great sounding, well powered 6 speaker car stereo.  W3 is that same stereo but with an added subwoofer.  Not for the THUMP THUMP affect but for a more engulfing fuller sound.  Just need to make sure you try to control the bass with no added eq and I think it sounds great.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #29 of 33
As for people liking the W2 more than the W3 I believe it is more about signature than technical ability for me at least. Now while I haven't heard the W3 in a long time I never liked the sound of it as it deviated a bit too much from my preferred signature while the W2 is much closer and just about at my preferred sound signature. I would never own the W3 as my "go to" earphone but something to go along side something more neutral wouldn't be bad.

I didn't really compare the RE262 to the W2 too much but I can provide some insight. The bass impact on the RE262 is probably a tad less than the W2 but they seem to offer better extension and has that rumble that dynamics typically have which very few BA earphones I've heard have. I find the RE262 to have a superior midrange by far as the midrange is one of the best I've heard on the RE262 although the midrange is a bit forward but not overly so (for my tastes at least). Lastly treble the RE262 offers more detail but the W2 is a bit more balanced in terms of the amount of bass, midrange and treble. The RE262 has a bit more emphasis on the bass and midrange so the treble is a bit behind but I have not tried that little mod that ClieOS has done to his RE262 to even it out a bit. I consider the RE262 to offer better detail and resolution in all areas.

@Spyro: that may have something to do with the crossover. I find dynamic drivers and the e-Q7 to sound more coherent than just about every single multi BA earphone I have heard and I assume it's the crossover.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 33

Quote:

Quote:
jant71 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif. The W2 has the more balanced signature. No doubt some will prefer the W2 to the W3.

Anthony, could you please comment in more detail about this?

if either of you could also chime in with impressions about the W2s vs Shure 530s &535s, UM3xs, RE262s. MC5s, etc ,it'd be appreciated. tia.

The 3 can be U shaped for some people with the added bass and treble over the 2. Some have sibilance with the added treble of the 3 while the 2 shouldn't ever stray into sibilance. Ceratain tips and/or EQ and the 3 will be fine. No surprise to hear people like the more well behaved 2's signature. As Rawrster said, it is preference for the signature and not technical ability of the phones. The 3 is just more apt to go astray with certain tips and sources than the 2 is.

@Spyro. The EQ7 have great bass extension. I'm assuming the GR10 beat the W2 in low bass extension. One thing about the DBA-02 is the unamped bass though not any more extended is quite a bit tighter and faster than the W2. The GR10 to be worth it's salt(to me) needs to have EQ7 extension/texture plus equal speed and tight, sharp transients and the detail of the DBA. The amount sounds fine as well as the amount of air between instruments/notes. Though we shouldn't take this thread off the W2. Just to say the bass is really good on the W2 but it does fall a bit short of top tier bass as expected(It is the 2 and not quite up to the 3's abilities).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back