REVIEW: Warren Young's META42 Amp
Jun 3, 2002 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Andrew Buck

New Head-Fier
After a good deal too much research and too little listening, I decided to tempt the fates and order an amp custom built by Warren Young to drive my Etymotic ER4-s earphones. I am using a Panasonic SL-CT780 as my primary source component. As I had never used a stand-alone headphone amplifier, this process would prove to be informative and revelatory.

My first step was to visit Mr. Young's very informative website ( http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ ) and spend some time configuring what I thought to be a well-reasoned amplifier, with the prime focus being on high resolution to take advantage of the Etys' fine resolving power.

Warren contacted me a day or so later, and we began what would turn out to be a lengthy discussion about my specific demands and probable compromises. It turns out that the opamps i'd originally selected, the Burr-Brown OPA627AP in a "Hansen" configuration, would require too much current to allow the portability I'd originally desired. Ok, maybe I could have had the portability, but battery life would have been nil.

Back to the drawing board. Warren kindly offered to try out a couple of new chips he'd been considering. I feel compelled to mention at this point that, as most of you are probably aware, Warren does not do this for a living. This is his hobby. I've been consistently and continuously amazed at his level of customer support.

So, a week or so later (we've both been rather busy these days) he let me know of a new design he'd been toying with, the META42. This new design would be more flexible, according to Warren, and would allow one level of crossfeed and the potential for Class A operation. The design utilizes the AD845 opamp. Portability was solved by 3 9V batteries in a mint tin as an external battery pack. Nifty. Why hadn't I seen it on the website? Because it was totally new and untested by anyone but Warren. So I'm to be a guinea pig? Sign me up!!!

So I dove in with both feet and ordered up. The price was $170, 3-day shipping included (Warren upgraded the shipping to overnight when the amp took longer than expected to complete. Wow.)

I received the amp last Friday and fired it up for my commute home. As most of you with ETYs know, the 4S can sound dry and uninvolving when driven by the weak amplifiers on most portable devices. No different with my Panny. While I could reach somewhat reasonable volumes directly from my player, I could do so only by cranking the volume all the way up.

Insert the META42, and everything comes alive! the bottom end tightens right up. Transients are as palpable as I've ever heard from earphones. The top end gains a sense of immediacy that allows cymbol hits to shine with teriffic realism. The soundstage opens up and invites the listener into the recording. It may sound cliche, but I heard details on familiar recordings that simply weren't there before. And none of this was at the expense of musicality. The crossfeed switch introduces a mild level of crossfeed that increases the sense of spaciousness of the presentation, but not artificially so.

These are my impressions after just a few days with the amp. I am sure that there will be subtle and not so subtle changes as the amp burns in with use. I am sure that flaws will also manifest themselves over time, as there is no such thing as a perfect audio component. None of this is to detract from what in my limited experience is a phenomenal component.

Also, please note that this is my first use of a standalone headphone amp, so you may properly take my comments with a grain of salt, as I've not had anything to serve as a comparison.

In any event, a great little amp and a great buying experience.

Pictures:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/amp-quo...k-meta42-1.jpg
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/amp-quo...k-meta42-2.jpg
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/amp-quo...k-meta42-3.jpg

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 10
Ooooh, I'm exited now
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree, Mr. Young was excellent in his advice and extensive knowledge, even when I was just speculating on ordering one.

After several emails, asking for advice tailored to my picky needs, sending specific requests, and receiving pics and options/suggestions, I decided to get a META42 with the AD823 (40 hours battery life vs 10 hours for the AD845 on a single 9V battery, he said), no crossfeed (which can be added later though), in the same cool-looking blue case with a blue LED for use with my 10GB iPod.

Those pics are nice! Mine will end up looking almost exactly like yours, except there'll be the LED on the outsde in place of the crossfeed switch, and the volume and output are switched places.

Yeah, I can hardly wait now.

Jun 5, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Andrzejpw: They already are! There's a number of threads in the HeadWize forums on the topic...

Also, I'm wondering whether Warren did this on protoboard or on a PCB... I can't tell from the photos.

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, Raymond, Philong and Andrew for your kind words! It's good to know that people are enjoying these handicrafts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Eric, I asked Andrew if he wanted me to use one of my META42 prototype boards or wait for the PCBs, and he elected to take one of the prototypes. His crossfeed circuit is on protoboard, though.

Andrzejpw, here's the META42 schematic.

Jun 6, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 10
abuck-meta42-1.jpg

Wow.
eek.gif
Is it really that small?!? I was under the impression that it would be about the size of a HR Cosmic, but this is really cool. The circuit is in the blue casing and the batteries are in the Penguin, correct? How many volts are in the Penguin tin, total, anyway? The amp looks very, very nice, though!

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 10
Andrzejpw: The board is imminent -- there will be an announcement on the front page of Headwize and Head-Fi when they're ready.

JMT: Thanks! Those translucent H-65s are pretty darn cool if I do say so myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

QG: A DIY amp can be as big or as small as you want. It depends on what you try to pack into it. You can actually get a functional META42 into just the H-65 case, by using op-amps that will run from a single 9V battery and removing the crossfeed circuit. As for that battery pack, it's 3x9V batteries in series, so it's 27V (or maybe a bit more) when fresh. Andrew Buck's META42 uses the AD843 op-amps, which require at least 12V to sound good. He wanted the best sound possible (for a portable) and was willing to tolerate a battery pack. Another person might wish to carry only one box, and so would have to compromise on the op-amp. That's what DIY's all about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back