[Review w/pics]: Ultrasone Proline 750
Apr 2, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #76 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is purely a business decision on Ultrasone's part, since recommending 200+ hours of burn-in would not exactly be a strong selling point.

Unfortunately, this situation only leads to frustration for anyone expecting optimal performance within their recommended time-frame.

Right, I understand the role of marketing in this situation, but let's be realistic. These are supposedly "reference" headphones selling for $399 MSRP. Being misleading (how could Ultrasone not be aware of all the problems/issues customers are experiencing with perceived poor-quality sound and burn-in, etc.?) about the recommended or required burn-in time doesn't help anybody. Maybe for that kind of money, the company could consider burning in each pair of PROline 750s for a couple hundred hours before selling them. Sure, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm just trying to make the point that customers ought to be able to count on something at least somewhat concrete in terms of quality when investing in equipment of this quality class.

Does it make more sense to have dissatisfied customers frustrated with the quality of their expensive headphones than it does to be up front with them about the idea that the product may not perform as expected until after weeks of burn-in?

EDIT: I don't even own these headphones, but somehow I am still a bit miffed at how this whole burn-in thing seems to be playing out. I did consider buying Ultrasones, but this is one of the key factors that took any headphones of that brand out of the running.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #77 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe for that kind of money, the company could consider burning in each pair of PROline 750s for a couple hundred hours before selling them.

Good thought, but again, another economic consideration. Adding 150-200 hours burn-in at the end of the manufacturing process (factoring-in equipment, labor, extended delivery time, commercial floorspace, electricity, etc. to do so) for at least 6 different models would most likely price them all out of their competitive ranges.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #78 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it make more sense to have dissatisfied customers frustrated with the quality of their expensive headphones than it does to be up front with them about the idea that the product may not perform as expected until after weeks of burn-in?

I'm 100% with you on this.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #79 of 129
It makes me suspect I have bad hearing when I see so many comments about the Prolines being metallic sounding or gritty or muddy or any of the other comments used to describe them
frown.gif
The only thing I've noticed is a slight peakiness that some other posters have mentioned, and a somewhat recessed upper-midrange.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #80 of 129
Just to add a bit to the ultrasone burn-in question. I've had a pair of HFI-700 headphones for quite some time. When I first got them, I burned them in for about 48 hours before listening to music. I wasn't impressed. The vocals all seemed recessed and out of balance. I kept them, however, because they really were quite good for listening to DVDs with my computer or home theater set-up. I've been using them this was for almost 2 years. Recently I plugged them into my Ipod and was shocked at how good they sounded. I can't say how many hours I've used them for movies, but they are definitely much better for music than I remember.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #81 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me suspect I have bad hearing when I see so many comments about the Prolines being metallic sounding or gritty or muddy or any of the other comments used to describe them
frown.gif
The only thing I've noticed is a slight peakiness that some other posters have mentioned, and a somewhat recessed upper-midrange.

no fierce I heard about the same with those so maybe it's just a good pair huh?

I DID have an issue with one cd, Wolfmother. Some songs did sound jumbled and sharp.

Otherwise, for the most 90% of the time, they did what few headphones I have heard could. Very good detail and range with very little to complain about.

It's hit or miss folks. You love them or hate them on this we all agree.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #82 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my Ultrasone Proline 650 certainly is revealing of my source. Either there is some major impedance mismatch, or there is a channel imbalance in my X-Cans V1. My headphones had some channel imbalance at first, but that was because pads where not well inserted (i fiddled with them...), but after fixing them, a slight channel imbalance was still there. I connected these directly to my Elite Pro, and What... Sound is centered again.

I don't mean to take this thread OT, but could it be the case that a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is being used in one set-up and not in the other? I was testing a brand new/never used pair of Sennheisers a few weeks ago with my various gadgets, and had similar problems when using the supplied adapter. No amount of messing with the connection would fix the problem completely, but the headphones sounded fine (although not to my liking) as long as the adapter wasn't used.

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #83 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no fierce I heard about the same with those so maybe it's just a good pair huh?

Well, I sure am glad I have a good pair aswell
tongue.gif
My wallet is safe for now haha!

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #84 of 129
I am not surprised we have people that don´t understand them at all and people who are crazy about them. Guess these are kind of like Grados that way not as mainstream as senns, AKGss Beyers

Tom for me I have a hard time believing how anyone can find the A900 to be on the same level as the 750 regarding anything but that just shows how different taste we got and essientially it´s pointless to read headphone reviews at all I guess lol. Then I did compare them unamped and thus the A900 should have an advantage...

As for boomy bass I can have one recording where the bass is real boomy. On another with just as much bass not boomy at all. Thus I believe that the bass is exaggerated a lot in many of these bass driven music? For gaming for example I have read reviews that even state that they aren´t good for gaming because they don´t have the boomy bass lol.

However they on some recordings manage to be more boomy then my Dt 770 PRO even. (now talking 750 with 200+ hours on them). I really remember a prison break episode where it got totally silly. However for other tv series not that much bass at all.

I watched Chronicles of Riddick in HD DVD format wih less compressed audio as well and then the quality of the sound risen so much it was like being in our THX certified cinema. The sound was exactly the same just more intense since being closer everything
smily_headphones1.gif
So if we go by that it does seem like they are working as intended. The higher quality recordings and the more qualified sound engineers at work the better they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

As for checking the bass Alexpea you can try listening to classical music and such is it still bassy?

Maybe the bass is boosted to be played on radio or on equipment that don´t have as strong bass extension as the 750. If you look at the graph the lower frequencies is way higher across the chart then the A900 for example. However overall the A900 is darker then the 750 for classical at least. They don´t change their sound as much for different types of music though if that make sense.

If you just want to enjoy music regardless of the recordings maybe the 750 isn´t optimum? But then if you produce you have to hear what sounds bad don´t you
wink.gif

only weak spot for me is sibilance. I can´t hear any metallic notes or such it sounds very real balanced and unaltered for classical. Rather bright then bass heavy I would say. It can be bass heavy or bright depending on type of music otherwise. I am not sure it can be blame on the recordings since it seems to be everywhere also in speech? Will be interesting to see if it´s just my 750 not being properly amped I got the Canamp today
smily_headphones1.gif

But DT 770 PRO isn´t that famous for having sibilance on the high end?

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #85 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hit or miss folks. You love them or hate them on this we all agree.

I neither love nor hate them. I think the 750 is pretty good at what it does, e.g. its unique and pretty cool soundstaging, and unless the new Ultrasones are a huge improvement, I will keep them. It's just that more people have come to the similar conclusion that not all is perfect with the treble, which I still find a bit unnatural and etchy after 300+ hours of burn-in and listening time. Still sibilant with a lot of tracks. I voiced that opinion at 50 hours of burn-in and it didn't really go away. Obviously no burn-in is going to alter the frequency response by single-digit decibels, and burn-in just isn't the silver bullet that a lot of people make it to be. Getting used to the sound, however, is. Nor do I think is my source / amplification insufficient. The Apogee Mini-Dac drove the Grado PS-1 really well and that's no easy feat by all means.

The bass is great though, so I can't really understand the complaints here. Very controlled, tight, deep and fairly textured.

Still an excellent closed headphone (and at this price point it better be).

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #87 of 129
One thing that I think some desire in a headphone while not desiring it is that they be a clone of what they feel is the perfect headphone. I do not think that this will be the case for any headphone. The Ultrazone's world is a different world with its own rules.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #88 of 129
But what about the distortion. That definetly feels that there is something wrong in those headphones, or they do not get enough current. I can almost blast my eardrums off before PL650 starts to distort.

Quote:

I don't mean to take this thread OT, but could it be the case that a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is being used in one set-up and not in the other? I was testing a brand new/never used pair of Sennheisers a few weeks ago with my various gadgets, and had similar problems when using the supplied adapter. No amount of messing with the connection would fix the problem completely, but the headphones sounded fine (although not to my liking) as long as the adapter wasn't used.

Only adapter that is used is from RCA->3.5mm plug (gold plated) adapter, between soundcard and X-Cans. Headphones are plugged as it is either to X-Cans or breakoutbox (both have 6,3mm slots) of my soundcard. I could try to change the adapter though. I should have similar adapter, just nickel plated, somewhere...

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that I think some desire in a headphone while not desiring it is that they be a clone of what they feel is the perfect headphone. I do not think that this will be the case for any headphone. The Ultrazone's world is a different world with its own rules.

What have you been smoking lately?
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Some desire it while not desiring it?
confused.gif

"Ultrazone world" with its own rules?
plainface.gif

I don't think any headphone, including an Ultrasone, can transcend the laws of physics and human biology.

It's a pair of headphones.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #90 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think any headphone, including an Ultrasone, can transcend the laws of physics and human biology.

It's a pair of headphones.

Through the breakthrough S-Logic™ technology, maybe, just maybe, even this is possible
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back