tstarn06

Banned
VSonics R02 Pro II

Technical Details
•Driver units: 11mm (CCAW Drive units)
•Rated impedance: 24ohm
•Sensitivity: >105dB
•Frequency: 8-28,000Hz
•Distortion: less than 0.2% at Max sensitivity (20upa)
•Channel Balance: less than 1dB(at 1000Hz)
•Rated Input Power: 10mW
•Maximum Input power: 30mW
•Plug size: 3.5mm gold-plated stereo plug
•Cord length: 130CM O.F.C cored Non-PVC wire
•Price $69 (with a free FiiO E3), free shipping CONUS.
•Warranty: 30 days refund. 3 month exchange.

Note: I am not affiliated with Head-Direct, nor am I being paid for writing this review, other than the phones for my time. In the past, I have purchased several phones (PK1s, PK2, PK3, RE2, OK3) and an amp (Minibox E+) from Head-Direct.

I also have confirmation that these are a new version of the original R02 Pro, which came out in 2007. Hence, the “II” designation. Fang, at Head-Direct also notes that these phones share the same driver housing with other phones, but they have their own tech inside. The changes are a stronger structural makeup, but sound specs apparently are the same as the original model.

Music setup used
R02 Pro II connected directly to Zune80 and iPod Touch 2G. I did listen to with the T4/LOD combo on the Touch, but that’s not important for this review.

Comfort/Isolation
Immediately after opening the package, I removed the standard tips and stuck on my favorite Sony Hybrids, with the light green sound tubes (large). So comfy they hardly feel like they are in my ears. Isolation is average, as can be expected from any “canal” type phones. These are not W3s or Etys, so they will not seal off all outside ambient sound.

Music
Some classical, some jazz, plus four very different tracks I often use for critical listening: Hotel California, The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over CD; Right Here Right Now, Abhishek Bachchan, Best of Bollywood 2005 CD; Short Tales of the Black Forest, Al Di Meola, Acoustic Anthology CD; Lonestar, Norah Jones, Come Away with Me CD. Also went on a long walk and hit shuffle on my Zune, so listened to a nice mix of Terence Blanchard, Charlie Byrd, The Beatles, Carmen McRae, Stew, Dan Hicks, The Roots, Jimmy Buffet, Dave Alvin and several others in my collection.

Packaging/Accessories
The phones come in a fairly plain blue box, with three sets of typical silicone single flanges, as well as a black pair of double flanged silicone tips. Also includes a shirt clip, which is nice, because it makes the phones easier to use when walking or moving about. On that front, with the included shirt clip, they didn't seem overly microphonic to me, and when walking for an hour, there was no cable noise. They don't have a slider, however, which is a downside for keeping cable noise to a minimum.

Initial impressions
I received a black pair for review, not the white ones. And that’s good, because the black ones look nicer (based on the photos of the white ones), and no one will confuse them with iBuds (lower theft factor). These are sort of strange looking phones, with a rubberized “bumper” up the back of the driver housing. Interestingly, the VSonics look very similar to a pair of Comply (yes, they sell in-ear phones too) NR-10 IEMs, which retail for $79.95.

Cable is sturdy, with a silver rubbery covering (reminds me of the Yuin PK cable). The plug is much like the Image X10, which is curved, not L shaped. The plug has the standard rubber strain relief. Very poor markings for L an R, however, so I suggest marking it somehow because the letter is black on black. Not good.

Briefly, when I first plugged them into my ears, I was not impressed. But being dynamics, I knew judging them without burn-in would not be fair. So I hooked them up to the Zune software on my PC for four days of shuffle play, and then took a serious listen. Instrument separation was decent, not great, and soundstage is average too. But for $69, you can’t expect everything. Also, I don’t have a major Jones for soundstage, so that aspect didn’t bother me at all.

For a comparison, I listened to them against the Senn CX95, the H-D RE2 and the Apple In-Ear Dual Drivers, which are basically in the same price range, depending on when and where you bought them.

Highs
In any classic (acoustic) jazz, cymbals tell the tale. And with the VSonics, hi-hats and all the excellent cymbal work on the jazz pieces really came across clear, crisp and true … never harsh, plastic or “watery.” However, for a relatively inexpensive pair of phones, the VSonics are not forgiving. So I found that with well-recorded music, the highs are wonderful, on the money, and crystal clear. But with older or poorly recorded tracks, the VSonics deliver the music warts and all. So as is the case with more expensive in-ears, don’t expect these phones to cover up those bad recordings or sibilance that is on the track. However, on balance, they sizzle but are not at all sibilant. I was quite amazed at the detail and sparkle that came from these phones, considering they are dynamics. In fact, I favor the highs on these to those on the vaunted Monster Turbines (from memory, since I sold the MTs over a month ago).
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Mids
Across the board, the voices of singers ranging from Norah Jones to Dan Hicks were up front and center, not recessed, and clean and clear. I really do prefer a phone that delivers forward mids, and the VSonics did not disappoint. They may not carry the detail of say the ADDIEMs or Etys, but you can hear it all, nothing is veiled or hidden. Both male (Sinatra) and female vocals sound equally robust.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Bass
I chose my favorite bass track to test the VSonics, a previously unreleased version of Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, from the classic Paul Simon album, Graceland. It’s an amazing bass line, and much different than the original recording (I highly recommend it). Wow, the Vsonics delivered here as well. Same with The Roots and other hip-hop tracks in my collection. I am not a trance, house or electronic music fan. So can’t comment on all those genres, but for me, when I needed to hear the amazing acoustic bass on Lonestar from Norah, or Stanley Clark pounding his fretless bass on my favorite Stanley (he's a Philly guy) track, School Days, it was there, with impact. Never boomy or mushy, tight and clean. Oh, I have read that the bass of the original VSonic Pros was excellent with Techno, trance and related music, but I can’t speak to that.
Rating: 4 out of 5.

Final score
These phones really surprised me. They may not be the PFEs or the Westone 3s (or insert your favorite here), but at $69, I really think that someone seeking out a nice, everyday pair of commuting phones could do a lot worse. They are crisp, balanced, and don’t suffer from too much base, too little mids, etc. They are also very easy to drive, no problems with getting enough volume.

From a comparison POV, I favor them over the RE2, which to me requires an amp, and the CX95, which, for some reason, just sounds too bassy and sibilant (I bought a pair recently for a friend and he didn’t need them. So I am going to give them to another friend, but I have to say, I don’t care much for them). The VSonics are a much better choice over either of those phones in my opinion. I know the CX95s have big fans, but the pair I have hurt my ears when the highs kick in. Maybe they are defective (the CX95s, not my ears). No matter. I much prefer the VSonics. In fact, they might be even comparable to the now revered Turbines. Maybe a "poor man's (or woman's) Turbine.

As for comparing the VSonics to the ADDIEMs, these are two very different phones. I still enjoy the Apple In-Ears for their crisp, clean delivery and great instrument separation. They are not "big bass" phones, so the VSonics are more balanced. As noted, I did not care much for the standard silicone tips that came with the VSonics, but YMMV.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 17
Guess I don't find $69 very expensive, and I did compare them to other phones in their price range (tried to at least, of the ones I own). I also favor them over older phones I owned, including the Denon 551 and a couple of others. To me, their price is okay. What would you say they are worth? Just curious.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Nicely done review, and very thorough - thanks mate.

A quick question, if you don't mind: how would you compare the sound signature and quality of these to the PK3s? I'm quite pleased with the PK3 in general, but am looking for something more isolating for public transport usage, so I'd appreciate your opinion if possible. Cheers.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 17
They are a much different sound to me. I liked the PK3s, some days. Other days, I wasn't always sure. But they never felt good in my ears, so maybe that's why I never kept them for long. If you wanted to use these for commuting, you could also try Comply T400s. But to be honest, I think the Sony large tips seal very well, as good as other canal phones. These are not "deep" IEMs, but with foamies, they may be better (though it may affect the sound sig). To me, the PK3s are are not as balanced, and I favor the highs of the VSonics, which are crisper and cleaner. Bass is closer, and mids also are a bit cleaner with the VSonics. Hope this helps.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a much different sound to me. I liked the PK3s, some days. Other days, I wasn't always sure. But they never felt good in my ears, so maybe that's why I never kept them for long. If you wanted to use these for commuting, you could also try Comply T400s. But to be honest, I think the Sony large tips seal very well, as good as other canal phones. These are not "deep" IEMs, but with foamies, they may be better (though it may affect the sound sig). To me, the PK3s are are not as balanced, and I favor the highs of the VSonics, which are crisper and cleaner. Bass is closer, and mids also are a bit cleaner with the VSonics. Hope this helps.

It does indeed, thanks very much! I just might pull the trigger and order a pair of these. Cheers mate.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 17
I find the PL30s to be far better in every way and much cheaper, I got mine for $20 from WSdeal, a far better phone for the money I think, these also bear a passing similarity to many cheaper phones such as the house ones from MP4 Nation!!!
17c9b5113e0906846991fe1b07eed73b.image.120x120.jpg

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 17
I got the Vsonics while they were on sale on head-direct and I got them for 35 shipped.

For me, they beat every sub-50 dollar headphones I've own/owned, including super fi 3s, head-direct 2s, PL30s, and the marshmallows. Time to time, I even prefer these to my recabled Shure 530s, especially due to their highs and less emphasis on the mids.

I can't seem to get a good fit with them though unless I use the head-direct dual flange.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the PL30s to be far better in every way and much cheaper, I got mine for $20 from WSdeal, a far better phone for the money I think, these also bear a passing similarity to many cheaper phones such as the house ones from MP4 Nation!!!
17c9b5113e0906846991fe1b07eed73b.image.120x120.jpg

I had the PL30s and never liked them much, sold them for $12. Just never could get a good fit was the main problem. Did you actually own the VSonics? You say the PL30s are better. Did buy the VSonics, sell them, and then buy the PL30s? Just curious.

As for similarities, as I mentioned, they also look exactly like the Comply phones, which retail for $79. I think many Chinese manufacturers utilize the same driver housing but with different innards. Seems to happen often in fact. I doubt very much these are the same phones as those sold on MP4 Nation, despite the resemblance. In fact, I went to MP4Nation and checked the photos of the Alpha Brainwavz, and while the plastic housing is the same (along with the rubber over the top), the sealing ring is different (the one on the VSonics phone is silver, not black), which means the insides are probably very different. Heck, I bought some $6 "EP-630s" from MP4Nation, and they were total fakes (was curious). But they pretty much looked like the originals. Didn't sound like them though.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Vsonics while they were on sale on head-direct and I got them for 35 shipped.

For me, they beat every sub-50 dollar headphones I've own/owned, including super fi 3s, head-direct 2s, PL30s, and the marshmallows. Time to time, I even prefer these to my recabled Shure 530s, especially due to their highs and less emphasis on the mids.

I can't seem to get a good fit with them though unless I use the head-direct dual flange.

I know what you mean about fit, which is why I moved to the Sony hybrids, which for whatever reason are my "miracle" tip for canalphones (they won't work with thin sound tube phones such as the W3s, etc.).

Also, these have a Pro II designation, so I am not sure if these are the same ones that were on sale or a newer model. I am going to ask Fang at Head-Fi for clarification and amend my review.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also bought them when they were on clearance for $35. they are very decent sounding IEMs especially for $35. i wonder though, how do they compare to the yuin's like the pk3?

There is a brief comparison above with the PK3s.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 17
I had the v sonics bought them from a head fi member, they were good but never as good as the PL 30s with a good fit, but I do emphasize with a good fit.
Without the fit I would agree the v sonics are much better they don't have the fit problem!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back