Diaphragm: Double Dome
Impedance: 16Ω
Sensitivity: 105db/mW
Max input power: 50mW
Frequency response: 10-45000 Hz
Weight: 5g ; 16g +/- 2g (With cord)
Connector: 3.5mm Gold-Plated
Cable length: 1.2m (Y-type)

Price: ¥3500 for the ES503, ¥4600 for the ES703 and ¥6620 ~ 7800 for the ES903, from Japan sites.
The ES903 is also available from ebay.com for ~U$D80-90.
(It seems the 503 and 703 are also available from Amazon.de for a very attractive lower price of ~15€. That's quite a great deal for the ES703.)

Accessories:
Both the 503 and 703 models include only 1 pair of regular foam pads and a very nice carrying pouch.
The 903, as the top of the line, include 1 pair of regular foam pads, 2 pairs of donut foam pads, 1 pair of rubber caps, and a nice carrying case. The case is very similar to the one included with the new Brainwavz earphones, just a bit smaller.

Build & design:
The build quality is quite good on the three models. The housings are all plastic, but seem sturdy enough. It is not easy to differentiate between the right and left sides in the 503 and 903 models, apart from looking at the R and L markings, which are not very obvious. On the 703 model is easier to recognize each side, as it has a more 'curved' design.
The cable is decent, thicker from the plug to the Y-split and thinner to the housings. All of them have a chin slider. The ES503 and ES703 feature straight plugs, while the ES903's is a better relieved L-plug.
All of them are available in different colors.

Fit & Comfort:
Well, these are earbuds, and usually I don't have any problem to fit them right; easier than IEMs or headphones. Sure, they offer zero isolation, but don't compromise in either fit or comfort. Not as the impossible comfortable as the Yuin PK series and similar, but much better than the Sennheiser, Hisound or Blox generic housings.
If anything, the ES503 that implements a larger 16mm driver is the less comfortable among the three, but still show no hint of problem.

Sound:
All the three models offer a different sound from each other, so it's not easy to point out what the Ubiquo's house sound is like. None of them have a strong and powerful bass impact, but the low-end quality gets better with each higher model. One thing is for sure, all their models give a good priority to the vocals positioning.
The three of them are easy to drive. Half of a Sansa Clip+ volume is enough, and they respond very nice from some amplification.

ES503: "V" is for Sound
Starting from the lower model, the 503 offers a very slightly U-shaped sound. Sub-bass is quite missing, but mid-bass has a good punch; never muddy, though, but nothing special when compared to the upper line. The midrange is very slightly recessed, a bit on the dry and thin side of things, with a kind of artificial and metallic tone. Still, the ES503 beats sets like the Sennheiser MX471/581 and Hisound PAA-1 Pro in their mids presentation, in every single aspect; way more open and airy, and much more detailed. The treble is quite a bit more pronounced and very bright with a lot of sparkle and energy and fairly good extension, kind of splashy and lacks in control. In fact, the whole sound is lacking in control and smoothness, mainly in the upper tones. Fortunately, there're no annoying peaks, just some graininess. Vocals are neither distant nor intimate; however, they can sound edgy and rough at times. The overall detail is quite decent, but lags behind the 703 model.
Foam pads seem like a must to tame down some of the treble's extra brightness/harshness, add some extra body to the bass, and make the 503 more balanced and coherent.
Surprisingly, the ES503 show a good synergy with a warmer amp, as the bass feels fuller and more convincing, the whole midrange has better body and texture, and, mainly, the treble is smoothed down a bit.

ES703: "Balance"
The 503 and 703 share some similarities, and the 703 can be easily considered as a refined or 'upgraded' over its lower priced sibling, even though they share different drivers, 16mm VS 14.8mm.
Overall, the ES703 has the best balance. The sound is much fuller, deeper and more convincing; with a warmer tone that gives a more natural presentation. The bass is slightly stronger on impact and rumble and deeper in sub-bass. Extension is noticeably better. It's still quick but with more realistic decay and attack, and shows much better control.
The midrange is richer and thicker, with quite impressive openness and sense of air. Definitely more forwarded than the ES503, yet far from the mid-centric ES903, simply remaining in the neutral side, neither agressive nor laid-back, with enough 'fun' factor. It's a well-rounded presentation with rather good imaging and transparency. While not totally smooth, as there's still a bit of grain present in the upper regions, it's very easy to listen and non-fatiguing by any means.
Vocals are really nice here, with a tad of extra sweetness and emotion, and slighlty more forwarded in the whole presentation without losing the overall balance.
The treble maintains almost the same quantity and energy of the ES503's with a higher level of quality and refinement, and not as sharp and tiring. Likewise, the bass extension seems to reach further, giving a better balance from lows to highs and a wider dynamic range.  Indeed, a very good all-arounder earphone with decent soundstage and instrument separation.
Foam pads are still necessary for best results, and donut foams can help to bring some extra brightness if wanted.

ES903: The Special one

While the ES703 could be seen as an improved version over the ES503, the ES903 takes another path from the ES703 model. It could be called the 'flagship' of the company as it sounds more refined in some aspects, but overall they're pretty different beasts, and I could see people preferring easily one over the other.
The ES903 presents a more midrange focused sound, with a much richer tone and thicker notes. Bass is softer in the sub-bass areas, while warmer in the mid and upper-bass regions, reasonably tight with nice speed and layering. Similarly, the treble is smoother and rolled-off in upper regions; so, more limited in extension and not as lively as the ES703.
The midrange is the main attraction of the ES903, no doubt, featuring a very engaging and immersive presentation. Pretty smooth and more laid back with a level of detail is really good. It may not be as obvious at first, but actually manage to slowly reveal more micro-detail than the 703 could. Vocals are given a very important role. Both male and female ones sound very sweet, always forward and closer to the listener. Simply a great vocals performance.
As expected, the soundstage is somehow limited, but positioning and separation are still good.

Personally, I prefer the donut foam pads as the sound feels more open and detailed this way, or the rubber caps for some extra (but not less tight) bass response. The regular pads tend to overshadow the whole sound, especially the nice midrange.
Interestingly enough, I also prefer to match the ES903 with a warm amplifier to get a stronger bass response and extra fun factor.   

Conclusion:
Both the ES703 and ES903 managed to impress me a lot. SQ-wise they're not a Yuin PK1 alternative, but are much better built, and definitely have a much better value for their price. The 703 is the real all-arounder, while the 903 has the more immersive and musical sound. On the other hand, the ES503 isn't really bad, but it's just easily outperformed by the ES703. A nice option for those who're still into earbuds.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 6
More extension and livelier, I guess I'm a 703 man :) They sound interesting and look nice.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 6
  More extension and livelier, I guess I'm a 703 man :) They sound interesting and look nice.

Yes, I like the 703 too. But have something for the 903 
rolleyes.gif
. both very well tuned!

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Been using the 903 for over a year and gotta say these are amazing. Prefer it over my iems (ortofon eq-5). More comfortable and has a mid range forward sound that appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back