[Review] Toxic cable Black Widow - LCD2 & Mjolnir
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bible100

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]I think this must be my first review I do in english. So by advance, sorry the wrong use of words and english expressions. [/size][size=medium]I write english like a spanish cow and speak it even worse ! :d[/size]
[size=small]I’ll use some key words in French to be sure the meaning is exactly what I’m thinking.[/size]

• [size=medium]First touch with Black Widow[/size]

[size=medium]My current Toxic cable Franck made for me is a Black Widow 24awg.[/size]
[size=medium]It's ligth as I expected from I read on its topic. New alu platter is gorgeous finish, heavy compared to cable but very acceptable. [/size]

[size=small]Cotton quality is really good, should stay in one piece for many years.[/size]
[size=medium]It’s really a pleasure to look at and hold in hand.[/size]

[size=medium]My review is mainly based on 5 titles I know pretty well which are :[/size]

1. [size=medium]Byssan Lull from Svartna Bjorn – Kari Bremnes[/size]
[size=medium][/size]
  1. [size=medium][size=medium]Nature Boy from Heaven, Earth and beyond – Lisa Ekdahl[/size][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
  1. [size=medium]Burkina Mousso , Victor Démé[/size]
[size=medium][/size]
  1. [size=medium]Presto (the storm) L'Estate concerto n°2, from four seasons, Taverner Players, Andrew Parrot - Denon Japanese edition[/size]
[size=medium][/size]

1. [size=medium]Barca Solaris from Live a FIP – Hadouk Trio[/size]
[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium]     2 - First gear[/size]
[size=medium]Out of the box Back Widow 24 awg balanced / direct comparison with stock cable  unbalanced[/size]
[size=medium]200 hours burn’in amp, Audio-gd NFB6[/size]
[size=medium]20 hours  burn’in LCD2 rev3[/size]
[size=medium]600 hours burn’in Playback Designs MPS-3 with XLR Vovox Sonorus direct S interconnect[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

2. [size=medium][size=medium]Nature Boy from Heaven, Earth and beyond – Lisa Ekdahl[/size][/size]

Bass on Byssan Lull are here but a little short and I found a lack of informative details in this registry.
[size=medium]Piano of nature boy is not very natural. Tone is quite poor. Sound not as organic as LCD2 is able to be. [/size]
[size=medium]Music sounds a bit dry to sum up. But more precise and resolving with the Toxic Cable. [/size]

1. [size=medium][size=medium]Burkina Mousso[/size], Victor Démé[/size]

[size=medium]Voice appear just inside my head, for this specific song, I was like possessed by Victor voice, resonating through my all body. I really liked this strange feeling. [/size]

1. [size=medium]The Storm, Four seasons [/size]

[size=medium]Music is not immersive as it could be. [/size][size=medium]Tempo (violins especially) is a little too slow as signal was restricted by something.[/size]

[size=medium]Like Byssan Lull, Bass are not resolved enough. It's a Live but I'm not on front of the scene. [/size]

Conlusion for first system :
[size=medium]On all titles, compared to stock cable, music is clearer, a screen has been removed, details are more clearly audible and sound is more resolving. If Hifi class was a “never ended stair”, I can say we are 2 steps further. As you buy a twice as much amplifier for example.[/size]
[size=medium]A film has been removed it is said in Silver poison review, same here with the black Widow.[/size]
[size=medium]But mid have still grain, more textured, more savory, more organic.[/size]
[size=medium]Bass a bit better and trebles may still a bit behind other registry, copper color is still recognizable. I think treble range could be the main difference between black and white widow but as I haven’t a WW to compare, I can’t be sure of that. [/size]

[size=medium]    3- Next system - the serious thing ![/size]
[size=medium]10 hours Back Widow 24 awg / direct comparison with stock cable balanced[/size]
[size=medium]15 hours burn’in amp Schiit Mjolnir[/size]
[size=medium]30 hours  burn’in LCD2 rev3[/size]
[size=medium]600 hours burn’in Playback Designs MPS-3 with XLR Vovox Sonorus direct S interconnect[/size]

[size=medium]Bass are now for the really first time, clearly audible and like I expected them : deep, clear, intense and immersive. Yeah, we start to have a big good sound[/size]

1. [size=medium]Nature Boy from Heaven, Earth and beyond – Lisa Ekdahl[/size]
  2. [size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Burkina Mousso[/size][/size], Victor Démé[/size]

[size=medium]Voice is well created in front of my head and upper, not inside when using Audiogd. It’s more musical and casual representation but for the strange feeling of possession, I preferred the raw version of Audiogd…[/size]

1. [size=medium]The Storm,  Denon Japanese edition[/size]

[size=medium]Tempo perfect, the whole orchestra beat time to make the music alive. Nothing to tell.[/size]

I was there before, I'm in for this time !

Conclusion for this second system :
[size=medium]Music is really, really great now. I wonder which things would be better after a full burning…[/size]
[size=medium]General quality and “finesse” is near my main system with loudspeakers. But as my room is not perfect  as a headphone, details and information listened through headphones are far better.[/size]
[size=medium]Music is not tiring, but immersive/“implicante”, enjoyable ! I can’t deny review where people find LCD2 and Mjolnir is a killer pair ![/size]
[size=medium]Without a doubt, Mjolnir is very powerful and like to show it with a little “in your face” side. But he do it with enough refinement and “delicatesse” so that you cannot blame him on this point. [/size]
[size=medium]But it’s easier to sum up telling the music is obvious, just here and nothing more to prove. [/size]

[size=medium]  4. First conclusion[/size]

[size=medium]Listening to this combo {MPS3/MJOLNIR/Black Widow/LCD2} is a great audiophile experience, going further my main system based on non perfect room effect compared to headphones.  [/size]
[size=medium]For one of my very top listening sessions, I find the classic expression : each element in place helping to create a coherent whole, sounds really true. Everything sounds like a “evidence”.[/size]
[size=medium]All records I listen after allow me to reveal new details or better texture, more natural and exciting than I used to know.[/size]
[size=medium]Thank you very much Franck to realize that cable. I'll make further A/B comparison versus stock cable in the second part with more time and full burn in system.[/size]
[size=medium]I pretty curious to test a White Widow in same condition. Temptation tells me I should test it in the near future… Why not for Christmas ![/size]

[size=medium]Part 2 will be on the same system with 200-300 hours burn’in for all part. [/size]
[size=medium]{End of review part 1}[/size]

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Well done..damn i have to make time to review my black widow 22awg..next week i am going to force myself to do it..
but my friend..u did a good job with this!!! Funny thing is that what u mention is almost the same as i was experiencing 
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Really nice review bible100. I really wanted to know more about the Black Widow and now I do! 
biggrin.gif

Don't worry. I have a post reserved for the Silver Widow 
ksc75smile.gif
 . I just hope it will be as half as good as yours! 

Congrats on your purchase!

May 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 8
What is the difference between the white widow and the black widow? Between the white widow and the silver poison cables for the LCD2.2, which would tend to be the recommended cable? I have tried repeatedly to get ahold of Frank, both PM and email but still hope to query him and get a white widow cable made (if that be the recommended cable for these phones). Thanks for any info on this. Much appreciated.

May 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't see any product descriptions for these cables on the web site...

May 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Hello,

Franck's website is not up to date as much as Franck would... The best is to read and follow the main topic, where all toxic new cable appear with photos and a little description by Franck.

White and black widow are pretty similar in quality. I have the same LCD 2.2. Depends on what colour of sound you prefer, white widow will extend bass and trebble more than the black. Black is more thick on medium, copper colour is keeped, the warmth too. I supposed White changes more the original sound because it's pure silver. But both reveal great transparency, details, and push the music a high step further in my mind.

Hard to be deceived in both case. The wait is the worst period. 

Dan wrote a review from his White Widow HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back