REVIEW: Todd the Vinyl Junkie TTVJ Slim Portable Amplifier w/ DAC
May 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheBigCW

100+ Head-Fier
PREFACE

I received this amplifier as part of TTVJ's incredibly generous loaner programme.  Due to a defect in the first model I received, it took a week or two to get an amp that I could use effectively for a review.  I should say that this is my first majour experience with a portable amp (I have heard others, but have never been particularly impressed with them upon first listen.)  I never felt the need to revamp my entire audio collection for what I viewed as a slight aural augment.  However, the Slim has somewhat changed this view.

APPEARANCE

When I opened the amp, I was lucky enough to be able to sample a unit that appeared relatively new, with only a few noticable blemishes.  I would like to note that the sample programme did give me a used unit, so I will not be able to comment on the effect of any "burn-in".  It has a slightly dull shine that flickers upon the pleasant black metal adorned with the TTVJ logo.  The front has a output 3.5mm jack, and a nice colour-changing LED that adjusts based on the volume of the unit.  The LED blinks white when connected to the computer via USB.

SOUND

This is, of course, the most important part of the review.  Here shall I list the equipment I used for this review.

EQUIPMENT

Head Direct RE0 (a fun IEM that I've been enjoying lately)

Etymotic ER4-P (my favourite IEM for neutrality)

Audio Technica AD700

AKG K601

Sansa Fuze with custom firmware

The bass was very good on the RE0.  It had quite a remarkable thump, and was rather tight compared to the somewhat loose bass I find running my RE0 directly from my Fuze.  Compared to my Maverick D1 DAC/Corda Headfive combination, I still preferred the desktop DAC and amp, but this is only a portable, after all.

The mids were rather silky-smooth, and incredibly detailed.  They were especially pleasant on the AD700, which normally I find to be too focused on the highs.  Notes had a nice decay and it was remarkably easy to distinguish detail in delicately layered music.  I found that all ranges were rather neutral.  It didn't quite change the way the music sounded, it only presented a neutral version of the music free from any negative (or positive) colourations.

Highs were pleasant and free from excessive sibilance (a pet peeve).  Cymbal crashes on "Your Hand in Mine" by Explosions in the Sky (one of my favourite test tracks) were rythmic, and once again demonstrated this amp's great decay.  The highs were detailed and delicate.  I wouldn't call it bright, however there seemed to be an oh-so-slight emphasis on the highs on each of the headphones I used.  Perhaps a tad too dry for my taste.

The soundstaging is what really blew me away about this amp.  Suddenly, cymbals and guitars seemed to exist in the space around my head.  It was remarkably three-dimensional, and had extraordinary depth.

SUMMARY

These is a really, really nice amp.  It has a great sound, and is probably the best out there for the price range.  The flaws I found were rather minor.  It has a really nice form factor, and a really nice sound.  My majour peeve was the fact that the wheel sometimes turned on its own when I had it in my pocket.  However, that grievance is so incredibly minor that all I can offer is that this is a remarkable piece of technology.  I was truly blown away by this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back