REVIEW: The Stunning McIntosh D100
Apr 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #107 of 148
One question:  si this "Stunning" d100 DAC the one that is inside the new $ 5000  HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 ??

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #108 of 148
  AWESOME!!

Congratulations @raulcf77 !!

I agree the D100's headphone output is not in the high-end league - but it is nice. I love it driving my Grado 325i's for example.

But the DAC is first-rate! Running balanced into my Cavalli Liquid Gold - WHOAH!!!!
CEntrance actually provided the USB implementation for the USB DAC - and the D100 is now a part of my top reference rig!!
I had so much fun writing our REVIEW for Audio360.org

SO happy for you. 
Welcome to club McIntosh (IF its your first MAC)

Thanks @mikemercer :)

I´m not new in the McIntosh club (I already own a C2300 pre and a MC275 mkV power amp) :)

The headphone amp is true that works very good with Grado´s, even I like them more than with the Auralic Taurus; isnt in the hi-end league but more than enough even for Sennheiser HD800,

Good review by the way!

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #109 of 148

Thanks @mikemercer :)

I´m not new in the McIntosh club (I already own a C2300 pre and a MC275 mkV power amp) :)

The headphone amp is true that works very good with Grado´s, even I like them more than with the Auralic Taurus; isnt in the hi-end league but more than enough even for Sennheiser HD800,

Good review by the way!

THANKS! I really appreciate the kind words!

and I just realized that after a long burn-in - the headphone output is FAR better than I originally thought!
Using it w/ my Alpha Dogs right now and its silky, dynamic, and musically engrossing!!

and man, what a DAC!!!!!!
especially like it in fron of my ALO Studio Six or Cavalli LAu - WHOAH!!

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #110 of 148
  One question:  si this "Stunning" d100 DAC the one that is inside the new $ 5000  HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 ??

NOT sure precisely what DAC componentry from the D100 went into the MHA100 - but, we're SO psyched to dig into it, as @HiFiGuy528 and I will be reviewing the unit ASAP! So we'll find out!!! We're sonically DROOLING

BTW: Listening to the McIntosh MHA100 + my Audeze LCD-XC's at CES was the most captivating listening session I had there!!

May 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #111 of 148
I just got my D100, and i paired it with HD800, my oh my.....it takes HD800 to another level.

Very powerful amp indeed.

I have to thank you Mr.MikeMercer for the review. Because of your review i pulled the trigger on this amp.

Can't wait for your MHA100 review. Is it worth the upgrade from current D100?

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #112 of 148
  Hmmmm

I don't believe so - but my buddy has the Bryston (I think its a BDA-2) - and I can ask him!!

Want me to see of I can do that comparison??

And DON'T WORRY: If the Bryston end up doing a better job I'll admit to it!
McIntosh retains its value better than any audio products out there!!!!

Any update if you were capable of comparing the McIntosh D100 to the Bryston BDA-2?  These are both on my short list and would like to hear some comparisons if possible.  Right now I'm looking at a Godfather price on the BDA-2 but need to know if it favors well in comparison to the D100.  Not only that, and I know this is superficial ~ but I own a Mac C220 Tube Preamp and the D100 would look great in my audio rack next to it!  
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #113 of 148
Well Mike is dead right! 

The paring of the D100 and Studio Six is a match made in heaven. I thought I loved my Hugo but this pairing is just delicous. I understand what Mike was saying in his review, I can't stop listening to music. I thought I would miss DSD but I don't care actually 99% of my stuff is 16/44.

The sound is rock solid my immediate impression was the greater weight and separation of the music. Its such a musical combination. Now I am think about USB cables.....

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #114 of 148
guess I found out what I'll be saving up for next.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #115 of 148
  Well Mike is dead right! 

The paring of the D100 and Studio Six is a match made in heaven. I thought I loved my Hugo but this pairing is just delicous. I understand what Mike was saying in his review, I can't stop listening to music. I thought I would miss DSD but I don't care actually 99% of my stuff is 16/44.

The sound is rock solid my immediate impression was the greater weight and separation of the music. Its such a musical combination. Now I am think about USB cables.....

Audio-gasm! Seriously, what a nice match up!

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #116 of 148
Thanks, though I went back to using Hugo as a DAC. D100 will be returned to the store today.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #118 of 148
I asked this question in the HA-1 thread so I figured I may as well ask here also. I am considering the Oppo HA-1 and the D100 as DACs in my home system. Headphone listening is low in my list of priorities in either case, but I think the general reviews here on Head-Fi are just as good as any other audio based site.

Both of these offer fully differential balanced outputs if I'm not mistaken, so I'm curious to know if anyone here has ever heard both of these and can compare how different they might be. The Oppo ha-1 is a powerhouse little machine and is even capable of displaying meters on it's LCD display which I like. But sound is the most important factor to consider, obviously.

The D100 is 6 or 700.00 more used than the HA-1 is brand new. So that's also a consideration. Along with the fact that these will be utilized as preamps straight to a pair of MC601 monoblocks. With sources in most cases being my Apple TV (I haven't made the leap to hi res audio, yet) and digital Uverse box.

Fun fact: While I wait for this head spinning DAC fiasco to work itself out, I'm using a Radio Shack DAC (yes, that tiny one with nothing more than an optical/coax in and two RCA outs) from the Apple TV and into a C2300 pre. And seeing how good that 40.00 toy is almost makes me question the validity of "high end" DACs to begin with. But since this will also serve as a preamp once the C2300 is gone, I am justifying it that way. The RS is also a supposedly inferior single dac design and Cirrus Logic chip, so either Oppo or McIntosh ought to prove to be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back