Review: the Cyclone PR1 Pro - Another $50 bang/buck heavyweight
Nov 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 244
Yep, I confirm that I ditched the RE0 for these and I agree with jant's impressions. It's not that they aren't engaging - they can be - but they are just so absolutely un-fatiguing that I forget I'm wearing IEMs.

Also, just saw then on ebay (from the same seller who sells the VSonic tips) for $33 + $12 shipping, which is an incredible deal for these since I was quoted $50-55 excluding shipping by the manufacturer.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #18 of 244
it seems like a new budget phone appears every week now, awesome!

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys go for the Cyclone over the RE-0 ?

The cyclone is more in my budget than the RE-0 : build quality does worry me however.

Well, I went for the Cyclone... or rather decided that I don't need the RE0 with the PR1 and CK10. Build quality is definitely a concern but mine seem to be holding up well so far. The housings are actually really sold, it's only the cables that worry me. The little case they come with works though.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by lavinachtani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would these be unamped when compared to the NE-7m or the RE2+E5 ..My budget is $50 so cant go for an amp if i go for these

These don't need an amp. The usual small improvements occur but from the brief shot I gave them with the mini3 it really isn't necessary. They definitely aren't as bassy as the NE-7M. They do have a wider soundstage and better balance than both the nuforces and RE2s and can beat the Nuforces and at least match the RE2s in mid-range and treble detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ljokerl, is that IEM ratings in your sig ?

The PR1 pro looks to be dead last ...

The ones in parenthesis are unranked. If you want to see how they stack up check my multi-IEM thread. I did assume they were $50+shipping so the current ebay price would probably bump them up a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I got that pair from the ebay seller. I am an addict.

I concur
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 244
ljokerl;6164753 said:
These don't need an amp. The usual small improvements occur but from the brief shot I gave them with the mini3 it really isn't necessary. They definitely aren't as bassy as the NE-7M. They do have a wider soundstage and better balance than both the nuforces and RE2s and can beat the Nuforces and at least match the RE2s in mid-range and treble detail.

So i am assuming these are better and in a higher range than the nuforces and re2. Which means picking these up makes more sense than going for RE2+E5.
These would probably be in the range of RE0.
Now i am confused as to go for these or RE0 ( thanksgiving sale ).The RE0 got 10/10 for value at 100 and now them being 80 it must be a steal.
My prorities are soundstage, detail and neutral. But i do want something with good build quality and the cyclones look suspect there.

I will be using them via Cowon D2. I mainly listen to classic rock like pink floyd, U2, metallica and sometimes house music.
Anyone can help me making the choice??

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 244
Quote:

So i am assuming these are better and in a higher range than the nuforces and re2. Which means picking these up makes more sense than going for RE2+E5.
These would probably be in the range of RE0.
Now i am confused as to go for these or RE0 ( thanksgiving sale ).The RE0 got 10/10 for value at 100 and now them being 80 it must be a steal.
My prorities are soundstage, detail and neutral. But i do want something with good build quality and the cyclones look suspect there.

I will be using them via Cowon D2. I mainly listen to classic rock like pink floyd, U2, metallica and sometimes house music.
Anyone can help me making the choice??

Both are steal at the current price. For soundstage the PR1's win hands down. The RE0 are more detailed. Both are quite neutral, with the RE0 a tad on the warm side. My music preferences are very similar to yours and both work great. The Cyclones will probably work better with house/trance because they do have more present bass (though they are still a long stretch from being bass-heavy).

I guess it comes down to the build. Mine are holding up fine under regular use but I guess only time will tell.

Edit: Also, I just gave the Cyclones a run using the iBasso D10 as an amp and they scale up admirably. I still wouldn't recommend getting an amp with them since that defeats the purpose of budget earphones, but they do have more potential than my Fuze can unlock.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #29 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are steal at the current price. For soundstage the PR1's win hands down. The RE0 are more detailed. Both are quite neutral, with the RE0 a tad on the warm side. My music preferences are very similar to yours and both work great. The Cyclones will probably work better with house/trance because they do have more present bass (though they are still a long stretch from being bass-heavy).

I guess it comes down to the build. Mine are holding up fine under regular use but I guess only time will tell.

Edit: Also, I just gave the Cyclones a run using the iBasso D10 as an amp and they scale up admirably. I still wouldn't recommend getting an amp with them since that defeats the purpose of budget earphones, but they do have more potential than my Fuze can unlock.

Ohh god now i am so damn confused. All this while i had my mind set on getting the RE2+E5 combo . But now this thing comes along and then the RE0 sale.
I really cant choose so i think i will go with your choice. Of these 3 if you had to pick only one which one would you go with.
The RE0 excel in detail but how are the PR1 details wise when compared to RE2?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #30 of 244
Quote:

Ohh god now i am so damn confused. All this while i had my mind set on getting the RE2+E5 combo . But now this thing comes along and then the RE0 sale.
I really cant choose so i think i will go with your choice. Of these 3 if you had to pick only one which one would you go with.
The RE0 excel in detail but how are the PR1 details wise when compared to RE2?

Same question here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back