Review: SPL Auditor
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #181 of 221
I just got my SPL auditor, I can say it's a really good amp. It works fine with the DT880@600ohms. I was having some sibilance problem and weak bass, but now it's all gone. It really looks like an amp that will last forever. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #182 of 221
You don't find it quiet with the 880s as I did? Are you finding the volume needs to be set very high? Anyway, we talked about this and I found the 880s very difficult to drive to high volumes, but the Auditor controlled the 880s perfectly and the combination was sublime. Really like the D7000s with the Auditor, very, very yummy.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #183 of 221
No, I listen to it at the moment at -18, which is low. at 0 the DT880 are loud, and around 6 or 8 it start to be really unsafe to push it up, as I don't want to blow them up. I don't think it depends of the headphone or the SPL, it probably depends more on your source that you put in the auditor. Currently the preamp is set to never exceed 0db, so I don't think it's bad, but I'm connected in an XLR source.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #184 of 221
I was using an XLR source at 4.1 volts output so that shouldn't be the difference. What is the voltage output on your XLR out? Perhaps I am just comfortable at louder levels than many other people seem to be? I had my hearing tested recently and it was normal to good for my age so that isn't it. You won't blow either the headphones or amp at loud volumes, I asked the folks at SPL and they said the amp could be run full out as long as the source wasn't going into heavy clipping. My 880s never blinked at loud volume, they just drank it up so you need not worry about that.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #186 of 221
I just did a test with an RCA to XLR cable, the RAC output is -4dbv so less a 1 volt, and it's still pretty loud. I just A/B tested and the sound level is a little lower on the RCA, but not a huge difference. (maybe 2 on the scale of the volume spl volume level).

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #187 of 221
That explains some of our difference, 6v versus 4 is significant, the rest of the difference might be explained by listening preferences. Your RCA out seems to have a higher voltage output than is normal so that is nice.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #188 of 221
Well, I 6volt it's my XLR output, my RCA output is 0,6volt, it's what I'm connected too at the moment.

There is nearly no difference in the loudness between the XLR at 6 volts and the RCA at 0,6 volts. So you need to check your cable or something.

And when I say it's loud, I mean loud. When I was younger I was a DJ, so I'm use to drive headphone very loud. For example, if I turn the volume to the maximum, I can ear the headphone playing when I'm outside the room... (that's on the RCA output at 0,6 volt...)

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #189 of 221
Let me know if you are ever in Ottawa, maybe you can come over for a visit and hear my Auditor yourself. I find the amp quiet with either good quality RCA cables with XLR adapters, or my XLR cables which were made by Zombie_X who I'm sure knows what he is doing so I doubt it is the cables. I still think what we consider loud is quite different. My brother comes over and when I cue up songs for him he always has me turn them down quite a bit. It isn't that my hearing is so poor, I have just always seemed to like music louder than most people so perhaps I have a high tolerance? That said, I can't stand distorted or overdriven speakers/gear so I don't listen to noise. My D7000s are low impedance and with them I have no issues with volume level and almost never need go past the 12 o'clock position.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #190 of 221
Yes, you are maybe worst them me (I was having 1000 watts RMS (4x 15 inch) in my 10x12' bedroom when I was young). It was a PA good for 100 to 150 persons, but well, maybe you like music even louder then I do :D

Well, I have a 15,5dbu XLR output and -4dbu rca output, and I see nearly no difference in gain. The maximum input level of the auditor is 24dbu. I don't know, you may try an other source and see. If I go to Ottawa I will let you know, I was there 2 months back.

Other then that, I really love that audio, the bass are so tight. The DT880 really deliver a lot with this amp. I would be curious to try the T1, maybe it will be my next buy...

I have try my turbine pro on the auditor just for fun, and there is a lot more bass, but the mid range seem pretty limited, it sound like a V shaped EQ. 

I also have an old pair of Sony MDR-V700, and they are loud and that's about it, they don't sound great on this amp. 

I should get my DT880 03 @250ohm back next week, I will test them as well. 

Also I would not be too concerned about your 12 oclock position, since the 0 db mark is at 13 oclock on this amp. 

I will let you know when I receive my new Audigy Tinanium sound card, should take a month before I get it, but so far I'm happy with the sound coming out of my vestax mixer. Vestax do go preamp stuff, but maybe I will hear a big improvement later.

On a side note, the auditor run really cold. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #192 of 221
Just ordered an Auditor to try out with my DP-1/HD800 combo. I've always been curious about this ampw/ the Senn and will be either keeping this as my main ss amp option, or putting it up for sale right away. Looking forward to it!

-Daniel
Putting it for sale right away would be a very stupid thing to do. You might not like the sound at first but when you get used to it you will love it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #194 of 221
Mini-review SPL Auditor

I have owned the Auditor now for 6+ months.  I have it set up with the V-Link 192, Audio-gd Reference 5.32, and the Beyerdynamic T1.

This amp was designed for the recording studio in mind to give the engineer a tool to hear what was recorded as best as possible. 

It is designed to drive 600 ohm headphones, and I'm sure it works well with many other high impedance phones.  My 150 ohm Yuin earbuds also work very well with this amp.

The Auditor is a great piece of audio equipment.  Build quality is top-notch.  Volume control is great, with lots of play in the lower volume zone.  You feel like there are no compromises for what it offers.

I have left it on 24/7, along with all my other equipment, since the day it arrived.

With regards to how it sounds, my thoughts are summed up in two ways:

(1) The sound is driven by the source material.  Everything sounds as it is; good recordings sound good, great recordings sound great.  Accuracy and truth is the name of the game with the Auditor.

(2) It is very neutral. 

Not very descriptive perhaps....so to help out a little more I will admit that often I wish I had a warmer sounding amplifier.  I would love to spend time with something more seductive, and for sure I fantasize about having a great tube amp to plug into.  But if I have to be monogamous with my equipment (and I do), then I want neutral, accurate, solid, a great performer, top build quality, and fantastic value.  Plus this amp looks great.

So for now I am sticking with the Auditor.  And every time I listen to albums created and engineered by great artists, I am more than 100% satisfied with this amplifier.  It allows you to really appreciate all the hard work and creativity put into the music.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #195 of 221
  Mini-review SPL Auditor

I have owned the Auditor now for 6+ months.  I have it set up with the V-Link 192, Audio-gd Reference 5.32, and the Beyerdynamic T1.

This amp was designed for the recording studio in mind to give the engineer a tool to hear what was recorded as best as possible. 

It is designed to drive 600 ohm headphones, and I'm sure it works well with many other high impedance phones.  My 150 ohm Yuin earbuds also work very well with this amp.

The Auditor is a great piece of audio equipment.  Build quality is top-notch.  Volume control is great, with lots of play in the lower volume zone.  You feel like there are no compromises for what it offers.

I have left it on 24/7, along with all my other equipment, since the day it arrived.

With regards to how it sounds, my thoughts are summed up in two ways:

(1) The sound is driven by the source material.  Everything sounds as it is; good recordings sound good, great recordings sound great.  Accuracy and truth is the name of the game with the Auditor.

(2) It is very neutral. 

Not very descriptive perhaps....so to help out a little more I will admit that often I wish I had a warmer sounding amplifier.  I would love to spend time with something more seductive, and for sure I fantasize about having a great tube amp to plug into.  But if I have to be monogamous with my equipment (and I do), then I want neutral, accurate, solid, a great performer, top build quality, and fantastic value.  Plus this amp looks great.

So for now I am sticking with the Auditor.  And every time I listen to albums created and engineered by great artists, I am more than 100% satisfied with this amplifier.  It allows you to really appreciate all the hard work and creativity put into the music.

I agree with you, it's not a fun sounding amp, it just gives you what is there. If you don't like it, it's because it's badly recorded. What headphone you use with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back