Review: Sony NW-HD5
Sep 5, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #151 of 159
I had decided on this unit until it was confirmed that there is no EQ adjustment for mp3's, bummer. I have over 40GB of mp3's, and would rather not convert all of my files to ATRAC3 just to use the EQ.

The X5 has a flimsy joystick, many reports of it breaking within a few months. The Iriver H10 is too buggy and quirky, and SLOW.
What else is available out there in the 20-30 gb market with excellent sound quality, a nice lcd (sorry creative) and a price tag under $300?
confused.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #152 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiep
Has anyone experience any negative fallouts from tampering with the volume...y'know doing the volume override, so that the player is louder??

I unlocked the EU volume limiter almost straight after I bought it and never had any issues.

Hope this helps.

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #154 of 159
hey, not really a technical question, but its about the NW-HD5, and I'd be really grateful if someone posted/emailed me with a reply

what are the artist/song/album details for the 2 sample tracks you get with the NW-HD5? (I foolishly formatted mine)

(all I remember is "W.Brothers, but endless searching of the internet has yielded no such artist or album - I even searched in vain for accreditation on the enclosed documents)

thanks

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #155 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutje
>>Are these UK units that have this problem? Maybe the volume limit is causing a problem with an impedance match of certain headphones? Im reaching here I know. <<

Well it's a European bought player (I bought it in the Netherlands). I am going back with it to the store and try another one hoping it has no hiss. I have excellent hearing and it annoyes the hell out of me
frown.gif

Martin

i also have a hd5, which i bought in the netherlands. I too hear a slight hiss, and i do mean SLIGHT. Im using UM2`s, theyre pretty sensitive Im not that bothered with it. The only player until now that didnt have any hiss with these IEMs was my sharp dr-7.

EDIT

so i listened a bit more, focussing on hiss. It is indeed there. However, i dont know many players that dont have that issue. Unless your using an external amp with it.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #156 of 159
My Iriver H10 has a hiss too, but its more of a background noise that changes pitch as i go through the menus. It seems to disappear once I put a load (signal) through it though. I'm also using a cmoy amp, so it amplifies it even more, but its not bothersome.

I think any device with electronics packed so close together will have some degree of noise/hiss.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #158 of 159
10yr necro post :)

Definitely not 3v, that much I can say, as a guess, 2v...

New to the player? (I like that mine refuses to die, and that the battery is swappable, and still available to this day :))

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #159 of 159
10yr necro post
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely not 3v, that much I can say, as a guess, 2v...

New to the player? (I like that mine refuses to die, and that the battery is swappable, and still available to this day
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Yeah I know.
I was actually surprised to see somebody still subscribed to this thread let alone respond 
bigsmile_face.gif

Far from it. I've owned four in total, this being my fourth and my only black one.
I guess it's the retro styling, line out functionality, awesome sound enhancement/equalizer plus removable battery option that make so attracted. Even the HD can be swapped and replaced with a higher capacity.
I solely pair the hd5 with an amp and have always found the volume to be lower than most daps hence it must be lower than 1.5v.  
What I want to find out is if it's a true line-out (fixed voltage) since the digital volume can't be changed and has not effect. 
My holy grail is to get my hands on a brand new nw-hd5h 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back