Review: Sony NW-HD5
Jun 22, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #106 of 159
I bought this player last monday and last night in bed I thought I listen to some nice classical music but to my surpise I heard a background noise (hiss).

When I turned of the sound but let the music play I could hear it very well. I am a long time walkman user (with cassetes), this is my first mp3 player, I am used to perfect sound without any background noise.
I excpected a digital player to have perfect sound.

Is this background hiss something every HD5 player has (I read somewhere here that someone else has this as well)?
Do you all notice this (especially in a quit surrounding (like at night) and with soft music or when turning the sound down)?

Martin

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #107 of 159
Can sonic stage convert ACC into ATRAC3 or MP3, or is there a program that will do this.
Also once music is on the player, can you hook it up to another computer and take music off it or does it make it difficult like the IPOD

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #108 of 159
In replying to the question of Hiss...just bought and HD5 couple of days ago, and have listened to it fairly extensively....the only time i hear a "hiss" is when i first turn the player on and it is booting up...it is less of a hiss, and more of an electronic static that i hear...but aside from that, it seems to fade once the music is playing

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #109 of 159
So when you keep the music playing but turn of the sound you don't hear a background noise?

Have you tried it in a quit surrounding (like late at night)?

Because if my player has this and yours doesn't I need to go back to the store and exchange it for an new one that doesn't have this annoying sound thing.

Martin

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #110 of 159
Martin, will have to get back to you on that one as am not in a very quiet environ at the mo...but yeah so far i have not heard any noise outside of when the player is booting up, and occasionally when it is not playing but i am flicking around tracks

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #112 of 159
Thanks for the reply jamiep and BobMorris1963.

I will wait for your trial jamiep to see if your Sony NW HD5 also doesn't have this background noise when playing a song like the one BobMorris1963 has.

Martin

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #113 of 159
Still waiting for someone to tell me the difference on the SP hack, like I mentioned in previous posts, activating mine does nothing to the volume....
anyone???

UE, Black, No Cracks, No Hiss, No Crashes, bloody fine machine!

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #114 of 159
Hello, there guys. I'm Quite new to this forum. It's pretty darn good. Just bought my HD5 today, and it's brilliant. And I've already Opened the unit, It uses a toshiba drive, and I'm already thinking on giving it an upgrade. (I have pictures to support my story)...

Anyway....

I listen to quite a lot of Classical Music, And some of them do tend to hiss louder than some others. THIS IS NOT YOUR HD5'S FAULT, it's the recording of the piece, If you're listening to concerto's (conc. grosso's), symphonies and well... large orchestral works in general, It's definately the problem with the studio. I'm in London's RAM and we have that issues with orchestral recording.

I think it was the directors intention, so that you can hear the room that they played it in, and the sound that the building reflects.

(Read the Inlay on that track as it might tell you where it was recorded.)

Derek

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #115 of 159
Just got my HD5 today and have absolutely no hiss through any of my cans(px100,shures, grados, sonys) (whoo) I was a little worried as I had this problem on an iriver flash player and a kenwood minidisc player.

Not only is there no hiss, but the audio is stellar imho, detailed, great dynamics and warmth, and a big soundstage! I like it , I like a lot
icon10.gif

(gave my mini to my gf lol)

Oh - U.S. silver unit- circuit city didn't have black

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #116 of 159
The hiss is also there when you turn the volume down so you don't hear the music anymore. So it can't be part of the recording. Just give it a try and see.

The player came with two pre-recorded songs by W. Brothers and even these songs have the hiss in the background. If you set the sound low (or of) you can hear it.

Martin

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #117 of 159
just got mine. a red one. hope the buttons doesn't crack.
biggrin.gif

the hiss is not very noticeable if you are not paying very close attention. but for very analytical listening, you can hear it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #118 of 159
With regards to hiss then I offer those people 2 suggestions

A) you original recording has hiss on it, some early CDs DO, I tend to remember some people (daft I may add) thought that if by putting some rusy old recording on a CD it would suddenly be amazingly good....
Some of my very old 80's and early 90's CDs do sound hissy and even have notes on the back to state this fact. they were not recorded as they are today, most recording studios today are digital and most (good) bands will use ProTools.

B) your unit is bad, return it. I'm using a good set of cans and I can tell you there is not a tad bit of hiss...(only on my OLD 80's cds I've put on it - see above)

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #119 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
Just got my HD5 today and have absolutely no hiss through any of my cans(px100,shures, grados, sonys)

Which Shures are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back