Review: Sony NW-HD5
Jun 6, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #61 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by petson
Catastrophe, mine is EU Black. Seems very well built
smily_headphones1.gif

It still seems that the cracking appears on the EU models though. I don't think it makes a difference personally...as long as it doesn't get worse than a crack seperating the buttons.

Haha, it's hilarious with the HDX line of MP3 players...you people are always more concerned on the next player
etysmile.gif
. When the HD3 came out you were talking about the next one, now you're all chatting about the HD7. If only sony could get their players right though I suppose.

The HD5 AFAIK seems to be great apart from (tell me if I've missed anything)
- sonicstage (no brainer) and no MSC for music (we can never hope for that though, with sony being a music label)
- can't go back after you've heard a song
- slight button cracking (only EU models it seems)
- flimsy USB/power cover
- the auto orientation thing doesn't work corrently
- EQ only for ATRAC
- could have used wheel/scroller for navigation (buttons work ok though)

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #62 of 159
you got the most important things there...that you can only do next song, not previous, on shuffle mode...that's just embarassing!

things like you can't see remaining time, and that the "played so far"-meter and the minutes:seconds indicator goes crazy when you play VBR mp3's (especially after fast forwarding, try it out =).

there should be more options for small configs on there...

we can only hope someone on sony feel our pain and release a new firmware...

oh yeah, i almost forgot, my player hung today, when i pressed next song...only cure for this was to remove battery and insert it again...the same thing has happened with my friends HD5...we both have EU models, purchased in the last week or so. we can't be the only ones experiencing this, so i suppose sony must upgrade their firmware sooner or later
smily_headphones1.gif

cya!

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #63 of 159
You cannot browse by folder on an HD5.

A person like me, who has over 50 gigs of VA albums, stored specifically in /genre/album name/ folders, with no real ID3 tags, other than mentioning the artist, i am screwed.

So much for an HD5 for me
frown.gif

Anyone know if an HD5 can rewrite the tags on the fly so that folder structure could be kept same as on your HDD?

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #64 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
You cannot browse by folder on an HD5.

A person like me, who has over 50 gigs of VA albums, stored specifically in /genre/album name/ folders, with no real ID3 tags, other than mentioning the artist, i am screwed.

So much for an HD5 for me
frown.gif

Anyone know if an HD5 can rewrite the tags on the fly so that folder structure could be kept same as on your HDD?

I sorted it out like this...

Godfather, an excellent ID3/MP3 renaming utility to be found at http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/

I use this to set ID3v2 title tag to Artist - Title, I set Artist to Soundtrack, VA, Cafe del Mar, Trance bla bla bla, whatever "folder" you want the VA to be in on your player...

I guess you can see the solution
smily_headphones1.gif
To be extra clear...I have 10 ministry of sound VA's, they all have Artist Ministry of Sound, the title contains both artist and title of the song, and the albums are titled Vol. 1, 2, 3 and so on. This makes a folder on the player named Ministry of sound, and inside that there's all the volumes, and inside a volume is the songs...in perfect order.
For all my soundtrack albums, I do the same, difference is I just put Soundtrack as artist on those. Same thing with "loose songs", ie songs not from any album...just a bunch of some favourite songs. I load them all up in Godfather (perhaps do this on backups), set the song title to Artist - Title, and Artist and Album I set to "My songs", putting all these in a My songs folder on the player.

Godfather is really incredible to work with! Highly recommended since this player goes on ID3 only!

Good luck...sorry if I was being too clear
etysmile.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #65 of 159
Nice app.

On an HD5 can you browse by genre though? it would be a pain to scroll through a 200 album list, not knowing half of which is which.

Now I have a fairly simplystic system

root\genre\album

So first when you turn the dap on you have:
\root
..\Chillout\
..\House\
..\Techno\
..\Trance\
..\Drum & Bass\
..\Live\
..\Singles\

Makes finding music appealing to the mood you are in superfast.

Also, to the name of each albums name I've added a rating upfront "#" to "###"
So the best stuff would be named "###VA_Love_Parade_2003", while somethign lower would be ##, and the rest would be #.
This way when you start scrolling, all the very best stuff is uptop, and degrades in quality as you scroll down.

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #66 of 159
Yes you can browse by genre. Taking good care of your ID3 tags lets you sort your music any way you want.

I'd prefer folder browsing as well, but this is as close we can get i guess.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #67 of 159
Even after reading the bad and the ugly about the player, i'm still keen ...only problem is STILL NO US RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!!! gggrrrrrrr .....unless anyone out there knows something i don't??

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #68 of 159
Yes does anybody know anything about the US release date. Ive been anxiously awaiting the arrival of these units. I asked the people at the sony style store and they had no idea when it would come out. They didnt even know it exiated.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #70 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchbyu
Circuit City has had these for a couple of weeks now. As far as I know they only have the silver model and they cost $299.

really??? news to me...did you see it online or in a store? haven't seen it online myslef, but please do tell

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #71 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdiotTech
Yes does anybody know anything about the US release date. Ive been anxiously awaiting the arrival of these units. I asked the people at the sony style store and they had no idea when it would come out. They didnt even know it exiated.

For once I wish Sony had let the US have it (HD5) 1st. This thing with the cracks in the UK isn't funny any more. Happened to my mate.

This'll probably be fixed for US?

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #72 of 159
The HD5 isn't online yet. I went into two different CC stores and both of them the HD5 and the nw-e507 flash player. For each model they only had the silver color. That's all I know.
mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back