Review: Sony NW-HD5
May 23, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #31 of 159
Atrac isn't gapless but it will appear to be gapless because atrac uses same block length as cd. At least Hi-MD players can do play atrac gaplessly so just try it.

May 23, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #32 of 159
hd3 play atrac gapless.

May 23, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #33 of 159
No on the fly playlists. The 6-band equalizer & VPT Acoustic engine, to my just now knowledge, only worth with ATRAC
frown.gif
frown.gif
The Digital Sound Presets still work with MP3.

May 23, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
I keep hearing about this so called 30gb model, but Ive never seen it mentioned outside this forum, or in any stores. Is it not out yet or something?

It's a "special edition", so I can imagine high prices for it. There is definatly a 30gb version though, might take a bit longer to be released.

Very nice review! Im considering one of these, but like many, are put off by sonicstage, and fears of the naviation. How easy is it to scroll through your player and find a specific song?

May 24, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #35 of 159
Very easy, after hitting the "find" button on the unit keys, i hit the right arrow to select artist, scroll through artists (obviously slower than a clickwheel, although faster than my h120 was), hit right again, select album, right again, select song, hit play.

May 25, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #36 of 159
I saw this player today at a Circuit City in Manhattan for $299. What's on with Sony, dropping it unnanounced like this? (It doesn't even show in the SonyStyle Web site.) In any case, my through-the-glass impression was that it looks about the same size as the HD1, though isn't as elegant, but its screen seems noticeably bigger.

Oh, by the way, my experience tells me that Atrac is the only truly gapless compressed format (I'm assuming Ogg Vorbis is, as I've read, also based on fixed frames, as MP3, with the only difference being that the information about the correct size of the track is part of its specification).

May 25, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 159
Wondering about the amplifier that Sony built into this player...

Does anybody know, how much power this HD5 delivers 1) for headphones (16 or 32 Ohm wise) or 2) in the line-out mode? Seems, as if the manufacturers provide that kind of information less and less. Sad, since it is important data before a buying descision if you wish to use your device in your car (for example).

May 25, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 159
I am soo angry at Sony for making the SE model, silver, I want a black one with 30 gigs damnit lol.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasselhoffia
There is no major difference. There are minor differences of better battery life, removable battery, 30Gb model available.

lol, if these are minor to you, I would love to know what major would be
wink.gif

Removable battery feature alone, will make me dump my G21, and go for the Sony. And heck, I hate SonicSage.

Just going to wait it out this time though, till it is available at local retailers. Wanna try it out first hand, I buy too much stuff without ever seeing it IRL as it is.

The custom EQ only for Atrac is a shame though, but bass treble adjustments is a start.

May 25, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #39 of 159
had my grubby mits on a HD5 today, sooo light and nice to hold. very small as well. great little unit, but then the guy showed me a RH10.....

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #42 of 159
i got my hd5 today, i really like it, but noticed a minor annoyance...i just wonder if it's just on mine or if every unit is like this;

i cannot "go back", ie. choose previous tracks when i'm on shuffle mode and have units on...anyone else have this?

bye!

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #43 of 159
How's the sound quality compared to HD3? I've read that HD3 has great sound quality compared to iPod etc. and I was just wondering if HD5 has the same or even better?

And how's with the volume thing with 32ohm headphones (hd555)? No need to turn volume at max. with more quiet songs?

edit: also, why HD5 costs mostly around 280€ everywhere in here when HD3 is 320€ or more? If HD5 is 'newer' version my logic says it would cost more
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #44 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAmplifier
also, why HD5 costs mostly around 280€ everywhere in here when HD3 is 320€ or more? If HD5 is 'newer' version my logic says it would cost more
icon10.gif

HD3 in www.pixmania.com costs 240€

Users who are viewing this thread

Back