Review: Sony NW-HD5
May 20, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Element
can you elaborate? i wasn't aware SonicStage had any auto-updating feature

The 'auto-update' is basically it keeps track of what's been transferred to the player from the library and everytime you reconnect the player, it can popup a window with the music that hasn't been transferred to it, though I think it's only sorted by the order of import, and only shows the group name, not artist, etc. If you 'update' tags of existing library entries, it won't automatically update. It's really an auto-transfer feature, not an auto-update feature like iTunes.

May 20, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 159
Thanks a lot for the review. I've been dying for one for a long time now. So, could you, if it's not too much trouble, give a bit more impressions on the buttons? Is it effective? Is this a really good MP3 player? (This would be my first MP3 player, and I really want to get a good one. The iPod is what everyone is screaming about, but, from what I've seen, it doesn't really seem as good as this player. I might be wrong though...)

May 21, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 159
There is no major difference. There are minor differences of better battery life, removable battery, different look, smaller size, built-in power and usb sockets (no need for the adapter), 'follow-turn' feature on the display, 30Gb model available.

Nothing worth worrying about in my view.

May 21, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 159
I keep hearing about this so called 30gb model, but Ive never seen it mentioned outside this forum, or in any stores. Is it not out yet or something?

May 21, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudlouse
hi,

when you transfer songs using SS (or files using windows explorer) do you have to connect both usb and power cables?

good point. I have to do this for my HD3. Presumably Sony don't want no-ones batt going mid transfer. but having to carry the AC around is annoying

May 21, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 159
hey. good review, thanks! iw as wondering about the loading times and times it takes to flick through songs... i have an ipod and i know its very quick...so i was wondering if this would be one of those annoying hinderances or is it ok...?

cheers!

May 21, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
I keep hearing about this so called 30gb model, but Ive never seen it mentioned outside this forum, or in any stores. Is it not out yet or something?

It is a special edition, supposedly exclusive to Sony Style stores. Their German site has it on preorder; I guess it´s the same in other countries. (?)

May 21, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 159
maybe I missed this, but three things:
1. I'd like if someone can find out if it's a real line out
2. Is this going to be available in the US, and if yes, does anyone know when
3. How is the menu system, navigation, etc?

May 22, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #26 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by johsu
Just a bit of advice on the "Audio Output" feature: Try using a remote if you are listening thru headphones or earphones. The player (well, at least in HD3) will automatically limit your choice to "Headphone" only to prevent you selecting to "Line Out" accidently and causing damage to your hearing.

I found that my MZ-R910 does that and I was like WHOA!! That's a pretty cool feature imo although running the remote is easier to manipulate while in the car
tongue.gif

since they gave us the HD3 I think we'll get the HD5 here in the US too.

May 23, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #29 of 159
To first question above, no you don't need AC adapter & USB plugged in to transfer songs. The HD5 charges via USB (HD3 didnt do that??) so there's no chance of battery dying while transfering songs.

As for lag time, the only time that it takes to load is pretty much when you hit the find button while playing songs, says "access" for few seconds then loads up the navigation. As for lag time while switching songs via the next button, there is almost no wait at all.

I have a question for you all though! is it true atrac supports gapless? If so, might rerip some of my CDs in atrac just for that. Kind of annoying with Crystal Methods new album having a gap between tracks when it is meant to flow right into eachother.

May 23, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony
Can you confirm that the custom 5 band eqs only work on ATRAC files? I read this in a couple of places.

Can you create On-The-Fly playlists? If so, can they be saved?

Thanks,

Pony

Do you have any insight on the above questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back