Review Sennheiser PX100 vs. Koss PortaPro
Oct 29, 2005 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wirbeltier

100+ Head-Fier
Both headphones are the commonly most acknolewdged cans for the beginner. If you want to improve the sound-quality of your portable audio-player, check one of these. As I was not able to decide in the store which one's better I bought both and here's my experience:

Sound Quality
The first thing that struck me was the lack in definition of the bass of the PortaPros. It goes deep down but has no form, and is almost annoying. The Senns go deep down, too but the bass is much better defined. What the PortaPros do better is the naturality of the sound.The Senns are not bad either, and a little more harmonic. You like them at once, what makes me always a little suspicious... :wink: Soundstage is wider and better of the Senns.

Comfort
The Koss is not very comfortable, but not uncomfortable. It is very light, but the metal headband always rips some hair out... :frowning2: I don't know: either it's the bass or the fit that gets me a little headache after a half an hour walk. The Senns are very comfortable, light and you forget about them shortly...

Material Quality
The PortaPros are not of that bad quality as is sometimes told. They have a lifelong warranty, and the cords are thicker and of a better quality than the ones of the Senns. The PX100 are of a good material quality, too, but I had a problem with the connector and had to send them back for service (no problems with amazon!)

Style
Big Issue! ...and a matter of taste. The Portas look terrific and are very stylish with their authentic retro-look (imho). The pseudo-design of the Senns is questionable, but not too annoying, once you get to like their inner qualities...

Overall
As I have tested both over a longer period, the Senns have turned out to be the ones I use more often. The Sound is very likeable, the soundstage is good, and the bass is deep and kicks. If I want some more Style, I use the the PortaPros. They sound also very good and more natural than the Senns. But the Bass...

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Nice first post!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the impressions. When did you buy the PX100? The newer ones sound differently than the older ones so it would be nice to know which ones you compared to the Porta Pros.

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Nice first post!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the impressions. When did you buy the PX100? The newer ones sound differently than the older ones so it would be nice to know which ones you compared to the Porta Pros.

Thanks Lisa!
I bought both the Senns and the PortaPros about a month ago, so they should be from the newest production...

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Nice review and comparison,
I agree, my px100s have better bass than the portapros. Although, the porta pros sound more "clear and cleaner."

Thanks, and you are right, thats why I will keep them and will test them with an amp, maybe that will bring a little more definition to the bass... I'll keep you informed!

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Agreed on the quality of Portapro's bass; it just isn't very well defined. Haven't heard the PX100s. At this point, I'd probably only buy Portapros if they went on sale for $20, I feel they're a little overpriced at $45-$50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back