Review: Sennheiser HD800 - no surprises here, but feel free to check it out
Dec 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
waaahahaha if it is a chore to do then you dont have to do it
biggrin.gif
But if you do notice any special synergy with the cheap rigs then do tell
tongue_smile.gif

The HD800 were initially bright with the unburned-in EF2 and stock tubes, but after 250 hours the combination was much better. To see if my memory is faulty, I did a search.

With that I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5741542-post1035.html

Quote:

The HE60 are noticeably better out of my maxed Woo GES than the stock HEV70, but I am not convinced that they can pull ahead of my maxed WA6 with HD800. The HD800 sound more grounded and less etherial, with better impact, better placed soundstage, and richer/more present mids and more realistic vocals (and strings/pianos). I love my HE60, but I am more in love with my HD800 right now.

I have at least 125 hours on the HD800, and even with a $200 EF2 amp that I am burning in at the same time and a $300 Pico-DAC only, the HD800 are simply mesmerizing right now. I can't say if Sennheiser topped their HE90 Orpheus with these (not enough side by side comparison) - but they have certainly built a dynamic can that can match or even beat the HE60, crush all my previous dynamic cans, and all the while do it with a less costly amplifier than the ever HE60 needed.

I was also impressed by the Stax O2 Mk1 with KGBH SE, and the HE90 off the RSA A-10, but at a cost that doubles to quadruples what my HD800/WA6 cost me.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have posted my WA22 thoughts in the WA22 thread, so I wont go into a lot of detail here - I had the prototype WA22 with upgraded tubes (using 12AU7) in my home for 2 weeks in July before the Colorado meet, and compared it to the ZDT.

With HD800 and HF-2/RS-1 I thought they were on a similar level of performance. With Denon D7000 and AKG K1000 the ZDT was better. But at RMAF the final version of WA22 (using 6SN7) was better than I remembered the prototype sounding, and it was able to drive the K1000 better than it did before as well. At RMAF in October the ZDT and WA22 were in different areas of the exhibit hall, and there wasn't a practical way to compare the two again.

The WA22 prototype sounded tonally a lot like my maxed WA6, but with more power and a bigger deeper soundstage. Switching to the WA6 would narrow the soundstage and bring it more forward in comparison to the WA22 prototype.

They all worked well with HD800, and tube rolling with them can be productive and fun to find the right synergy for the HD800 or other gear.

This may help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sma...7-6sn7-458194/

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #18 of 53
Dec 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 53
Thanks for adding the music listening list. Lots of acoustic, acoustic guitar, vocal, Satie, and Arvo Part as well. Good stuff for the HD800. Next time I'm at a meet with an HD800 available I'll have to try some Infected Mushroom just for kicks. ::denon_bass_smile::

A well done review as always.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #20 of 53
great review HeadphoneAddict!
you are a genuis,it's so hard to write a review that is so simple to understand but is really deep at the same time!
do you still like your jh13 much better than the HD800's?

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 53
Thanks for the review Larry, excellent as ever, and I am pleased to see that my experience with the hd800 is similar to yours. I was also going to ask about the JH13 pro. I have a pair on my radar and I would be interested in how you feel about these compared to the Senns, albeit a somewhat apples and oranges comparison. cheers.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 53
Well, if I ever thought the HD800's weren't for me, then I was wrong.
Looks like there's still the certainty in the future I will be spending a (small) fortune on upgrading my gear.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 53
Excellent review HeadphoneAddict, I’m looking forward to completing a balanced EHHA build with greater anticipation.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 53
Excellent write-up as always mate.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great review HeadphoneAddict!
you are a genuis,it's so hard to write a review that is so simple to understand but is really deep at the same time!
do you still like your jh13 much better than the HD800's?

At this high level of performance I hate to pick 1st 2nd 3rd, etc. I suppose I still enjoy the JH13Pro just a little bit better - they're smoother sounding with stronger bass and good tonal balance, and nice imaging but smaller soundstage vs the HD800.

But, when I don't have to worry about sound leaking out and bothering my wife, and I can play the music louder and try to imagine being there at the performance, then I am more likely to grab the HD800.

When I am chilling out and want isolation to listen to quiet music without losing any detail and balance at low volumes, then I grab the JH13Pro since the O2 Mk1 don't isolate. The JH13Pro remind me of the O2 Mk1 and they're more laid back than the HD800 and good for different moods.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #28 of 53
An awesome read...thanks for posting!

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should clarify that, thanks. My D2000 had an older APS V2 cable that tamed the bass and treble, and pretty much altered the sound signature.

Not sure what an APS V2 cable is, but it would need to be something to tame the treble of a D2000. I have one and it makes my ears bleed after my HD650.
Thinking about Ebaying it.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what an APS V2 cable is, but it would need to be something to tame the treble of a D2000. I have one and it makes my ears bleed after my HD650.
Thinking about Ebaying it.

It was a silver plated copper, and everyone who compared them to the K1000, Stax or Grados at meets felt switching to the D2000 sounded dark or recessed in the treble, unless using a bright amp. My D7000 with Jenna Labs cable are brighter than my re-cabled D2000 or stock D7000 used to be, but I didn't get to compare it to a stock D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back