REVIEW : RudiStor Sound Systems Audio Chain
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DoReMi

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

hope  you find it informative and enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

I'd like to make it clear to everyone that mine are only personal opinions as a fan, and that I base my reviews solely in the light of personal experience builded up over the years after listening to lots of different HIFI signatures, but more than anything else, I place the utmost confidence on my ears and brain, which should always remind the reader the subjectivity of my opinions.

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
RudiStor Chroma MD2
 ​
RudiStor DAC X3co Balanced

RudiStor RPX-35 Amplifier

MY REVIEW OF RUDISTOR HIFI COMPONENTS  

The opportunity of having here a full audio chain from the same manufacturer, it does offer much more interesting ways to provide a final opinion because I have a chance to check not only the characteristics of each component, but also the synergistic ability  of the three (DAC-Headphone-Amp) in direct competition with other proven high quality solutions. Also being able to quickly switch from one component to another in real time, provides more accurate analysis of the sound quality than just memory by itself ever could.

SOFTWARE AND MUSIC USED

The players that normally accompany my audio sessions in order of personal preference:

Fidelia Pro
Audirvana Plus
Amarra

Audio files are all AIFF 24/96 (also used DAC X3 for upsampling up to 192).

Music genres also vary depending again on  personal preferences:

ROCK: Porcupine Tree, Tool, Pefect Circle, Muse, Lacuna Coil ...
ELECTRONIC / AMBIENT: Metaform, Bliss, Blank & Jones, Conjure One ...
SOUL / POP: Joss Stone, Alicia Keys, Bettye Lavette, Lene Marline ...
JAZZ: Fourplay, Stanley Turrentine, Sony Rollins, Animation ...

EQUIPMENT & METHOD USED

Chrome Headset Rudistor MD-2.
A. Connected to DAC NuForce Icon HDP / Wooaudio WA2.
B. Connected to Rudistor DAC X3/Wooaudio WA2

Rudistor DAC/Amp X3co.
A. Connected to Amp Inside.
B. Connected to Wooaudio WA 2. Headphones Used Chroma MD-2, Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD 650

RUDISTOR three components (headphone / DAC / Amp) synergy check.

​
 ​
 ​

​

THE HEADPHONE

CHROMA MD-2 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Headphone Type: Magnet-Dynamics – Open Air
Impedance* 60 Ohm
Transducer Type: Magnetic-Neodimium-Mylar
Freq. response 15-27 Khz, Sensitivity ( SPL) 101 dB*
Weight: 250 Gr
Casing :: Hight Tech Nylon case for safe transportation
Cable: Litz multiwire silk-silicone insulated. Length: 2.5 mt
*( measured at 1Khz)

CHROMA MD-2 DESIGN

The choice of color combinations and materials give these headphones a touch of class needed to determine a distinctive character itself; CNC aluminum cups in contrast to the comfortable black pads  are only elements designed to catch the eye and captivate the most jaded consumer also seeking for aesthetic clamor . But underneath there is much more, such as  HITECH in the form of titanium internal components and a 53mm  driver. A little monster. The mystery is how the designer was able to minimize everything, including the soft leather bow, under a weight of only 250 grams. These headphones once worn instantly disappear. No annoyance due to compression of the skull and ear lobes as in the case of the well-known Grado whose sometimes unbearable fit has often discouraged some of the most loyal to the brand (myself on the first place).

The tightening of Chroma-MD2

The "rail" adjustment of the headphones is very precise and not too yielding once worn; with the right pressure, without ever straining or disturb the listener, the headphone is positioned easily and, thanks to their insignificant weight, remains in position following the natural movements of the head. This headset is fully assembled by hand, and like the best craft creations the "touch and feel" is that of a typical luxury product. For those who appreciate the vintage in its various forms, will find in this item  all the necessary elements  to make it,in time, become a classic cult.

THE SOUND

Ok let's get to the point. Let me anticipate just what I think and then explain why: these headphones do sound fabulous. Now the details.
The concept of headphones that "sounds good" is hardly representable in words because there are too many elements of a subjective nature that influence the perception that each of us has in relation to how you should "hear" the music. To make us better understand we get help using terminology such as "transparent", "analytical" and so on, the reality is that generally and more simply music lovers are divided into two categories: those who analyze and those who listen. These are just two different ways of being an audiophile to my understanding, namely music lover. For this reason the manufacturers when they give birth to a project for a new headset the first question they ask is which of the two groups mentioned is the target audience for the new product. Hence headphones that come as the Senn HD 800 or T1 clearly aimed at an audience that likes to read the detail of every note, feel the reverberation of sound that moves from one wall to the other, the fly that flies in the room or just jazz, classical and so on. For this purpose, the HD 800 and T1 are among the best headphones available on the market. And what to say about the Audeze LCD 2, with such visceral bass, a much smaller soundstage but a better musicality;these phones are clearly more aimed at rock heads.

I purposely chose to make the first listen of the Chroma MD- 2 with the NuForce Icon HDP DAC, which in addition to liking it very much, I also know in detail. The aim is to "read" the true nature of Rudistor Chroma MD-2. Some will ask why then not connecting them to the Rudistor DAC on the first place? Actually it will be done later, cause I thought not to be correct putting these headphones immediately at ease with a DAC that costs three times as much. I wanted instead to see how they would behave with one hard DAC , detailed but a bit exaggerated at high frequencies as the NuForce.

The Chroma MD2 are musical headphones. It's useless looking for extravagant and complicated terms. These headphones sound natural and involving and if they can do it with this DAC means that the base of the acoustic design is solid.

The Muse in "Undisclosed Desire": the T1 with the same connection made drums entry slightly deeper in the sound stage, I know that the DAC pushed in this direction, not taking into account that the result although faithful in terms of speed and response would not be able to engage.
HD 800,same DAC, I remember having paused almost immediately because of the coldness immersed in a scene so enlarged not to seem real.
The HD 650, being rather warm, makes up for a good synergy with the NuForce 'cause the DAC makes the high frequencies come up nice and pleasant.

The Chroma MD2, on the other hand, immediately and without fear imposed some discipline on the DAC's signal, controlling the high-frequency peaks rounding them just a touch but enough to make them  bearable (aided by the authority of the WA 2), raising the bass that the icon wanted to hide to an acceptable and pleasant level; all this while opening the sound stage of the DAC into a decent wideness. The Chroma MD2 preferred to "dialogue" with the WA2, infact the two immediately understood each other in terms of musicality.
Mind you, the detail and transparency of this DAC are of great quality, but more suitable for very soft headphones like the HD 650 or LCD 2 for example. Whatever I listened trough the T1 and the NuForce connected to WA 2, even if in almost perfect synergy left me in desire of a little more deep octaves. Please note that we are entering in the search for nitpicking here, but I must say that the musicality of Chroma MD2, accuracy and speed in building the sound stage has exceeded all my expectations. With the Chroma MD2 the WA2 has shown a greater synergy  than both the T1 and  HD 700 that I liked so much.
 These headphones are engaging and do reach the bottom, and I mean really low while maintaining control and articulating each note with precision. I never once heard them invade the mids territory which is well separated and detailed.
The feeling that you grow while listening to the Chroma MD2 is a pleasant immersion in the music in a way you always have the certainty you're not losing anything of the sound message; the micro details find their place effortlessly trough  mids reaching peaks of never fatiguing transparency. There are quiet moments where if you are distracted by following the melodic sound of Chroma MD2, you suddenly feel a rise from a carpet of deep low notes perfectly articulated and coherent but not booming; its of course very much up to the recording quality as usual, but the word here is musicality not coloring. The structure of the lows in these Rudistor resembles that of Audeze, for shure not so emphasized, but with the same ability to get you involved. I spent hours with these headphones on, and I was always reluctant to get back to my faithful T1 or HD 650, but of course for the review I have often been obliged to swap.

If you wanted to know how they sound connected to the DAC X3, here you are.

let me state that the comparison with the NuForce DAC does not make much sense since we are talking at a much higher level (even price!); so I'll just have to say what I felt when I connected the the X3 Chrome to the DAC and WA2.
My beloved WA2 instantly recognized the personality of the DAC X3, like in a a spell, the forces of both components are released in a performance race . It was great to hear the WA 2 picking the perfect DAC X3 signal and without translation or interpretation serving it to Chrome with authority.
The Chrome despite having relatively low impedance, and whereas the WA2 is a OTL and therefore more suitable for high impedance, never got intimidated by the barrel of current the WA2 was sending at it, as a matter of fact, the phone brought out the best while avoiding any hint to distortion. The WA2 immediately recognized the transparency and accuracy of the DAC X3, and using  the sound stage provided, began to weave perfectly balanced plots of frequencies , placing voices and instruments, making it so musical and intimate to charm me. The same connection repeated with the T1 has produced very similar effects, but the Beyerdynamics are not, and try not to be musical. The T1 believes more in details analysis and lot less about the rest, and every now and then it might surprise you with great bass, but only to reiterate it's nature of "all round" can.
The Chrome MD-2 is Italian in the soul, this phone wants to engage and loose you in the persuasive tone in which they wrap you up. It's a different way to listen to music. It's feeling it. I don't want to get into technical descriptions about speed, transient and transparency of this headphone, it's all there, but it's nature is  about  making you feel what good music can really do for you.
If I had to pick on it, I'd say a slightly deeper soundstage would better balance it's airy wideness.But again that's just my ears.

THE DAC

Rudistor Dac X3Co​
 ​
 ​
The truth is that we lovers of good listening are not simply users of the available technology but also directly connected to it.In almost all articles or reviews,graphics and benchmark tests that should help the reader understand the quality of a hifi component, reignes supreme. Today something is changing, fortunately, these technology exercises are left in the hands of those responsible, namely the producers, but we are pleased to judge the results of a design effort not only through absurd graphics  but just with our ears. The result is not only far more accurate, but also more fun, and this last aspect is the purpose of a DAC like this RudiStor DAC X3.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS OF Rudistor Dac X3Co

Coaxial S/PDIF Input

Sample Rate frequency fron 32 to 192 kHz
    Resolution 16 to 24 bits
    Ultra low intrinsic Period jutter 40ps

Optical S/PDFInput

Sample Rate frequency fron 32 to 192 kHz
    Resolution 16 to 24 bits
    Ultra low intrinsic Period jutter 50ps
    Protezione anti-polvere

USB Input

Sample rate frequency from 44.1 to 192 kHz
    Resolution up to 24 bits
    Using kernel streaming mode reach 192kHz /24bits
    Rudistor fornisce i driver per download direttamente dal sito

Monitor ( embedded amplifier)

Output 12Vpp
    8-600 oHm
    Working class: always "A class"
    High current output
    Gain 12dB
    THD: 0.01%

Weight and Size

Weight (Kg): 3 kg
Dimensions (cm):  340 *60*252mm

DAC RUDISTOR X3 DESIGN

For design I mean some hints to the technical content of the DAC and not only the purely aesthetic. First of all, what is given us to know by the manufacturer is that the chip at the basis design project is the consolidated Wolfson WM8740 with fully differentiated output, in simpler words balanced.

We all know that the chip is only a fraction of all elements that matter, the rest are obviously up to the system design around it and other technical details that make the final result. In this case, RudiStor, on top of an excellent design has thought about implementing some specific characteristics that count and do make a difference.

In addition to a boosted power supply circuit, one of the most important components relative to the faithful reproduction of the signal in terms of accuracy  is the the potentiometer quality. The X3 is provided with an analog volume control, much more effective then the attenuators, since it allows extremely precise custom selections  with infinitesimal differences between the channels; in the X3 DAC this difference doesn't exceed 0.02 db, practically not perceptible by 'human hearing.

I personally find being really classy the aluminum and carbon structure,  which, in the case of the model in question, the X3co, (where co stands for carbon), oversees the elimination of potential MRIs. Just looking at it you will immediately notice that the carbon present on the device is not "painted" as happens in many entry-level products, but is instead made up of compressed and laminated fibers. Everything is done by hand, just like all RudiStor products.

In relation to the aesthetics nothing has been left out. In the quest for simplicity of lines and structures, at the base of a real concept of elegance, panels with digital numbers so reminiscent of Star Trek have been carefully avoided, replacing them with simple and clear key indicators (note the vintage switches for the port selection). Logos and lettering on front are not painted but engraved in the metal. The carbon then contributes to sign as a high-class  an already thoroughly enjoyable design.

Last but certainly not least the headphone amplifier. The DAC Rudistor X3 is a project designed to meet and exceed those who wish to control the budget but without sacrificing anything in terms of quality. For this purpose, inside the DAC X3 has been implemented a completely independent headphone amplifier section. This is not a gadget put there for good figure, but a real amplifier capable of driving headphones up to 600 ohms! In a moment we'll talk about it. The writing displayed in the image says a lot about this integrated amplifier. It appears clearly that in fact the output is designed for professional use where it is needed amplification series to analyze digital signals up to 192 kHz. In short a professional studio DAC.

THE SOUND

In a market battled to the last bit, sometimes you get the feeling that the technology results achieved tend a bit to level the performance of many hifi devices. This belief is specially entrenched with regard to DACS; in fact the idea is that once solved the problems of jitter and MRIs, they should all sound the same. The theory is that, yes, if a digital signal is taken from the PC and served in perfect bit to the DAC for conversion, at that point should give the same results in all circumstances. Yet it is not exactly like that, the reality tells a different story, and the story is that DACS in a certain class have their own sound personality. We're not talking about unrealistic colors or artifices designed to emphasize certain sound characteristics, but simply the ability of a DAC to extract what's inside  a digital signal in the best possible way ; usually the best way is simply to accurately reproduce the work of the sound engineer who operated the recording of the original trace. It goes without saying that when a recording is not that great a quality DAC immediately reveals it.

The  Rudistor X3 DAC is a machine completely designed to do it's job as it should all the way down to the last screw. Music flows with precision, musical appointments with frequency variations are monitored very carefully and never missed. The DAC's characteristics mixed in proper balance make for a musicality detectable by any good amplifier. The DAC X3 personality is always opening spacious and deep sound scenes inside of which are precisly placed instruments and voices, chasing and capturing the lowest notes that I didn't even know about. The nice thing is that all this,for most part, takes place out of my head,  forward and to the sides.
Listening to "Arriving Somewhere but not here" album Deadwing from Porcupine Tree, among other things, in the beginning  there is a rhythmic beat on the inner part of one of the ride cymbals coming in from exactly 30 degrees front, clear, precise, and realistic. I choose this particular song because at some point bass and guitar start chasing each other weaving fast paced themes rapidly changing in frequency; the DAC X3 has done justice by keeping me glued to the Chroma unable to stop my fingers tapping on the table.

The bass sound is continuously monitored, and no matter how weak in the recording, it is presented in an articulate way. The mid-frequency and medium-highs are crystal clear, but never becoming exhausting or achieving piercing peaks. Playing the Metaform album "The Electric Mist", track "Electrc Eyes", excellent recording by the way, the DAC x3 tells you exactly that. The DAC X3  not only is transparent, accurate, faithful but it also has a personality of its own, a musical timbre. What I mean by musical? The pleasure of listening to great music in all its details, feeling involved and present at the scene, hearing notes appearing from deep darkness surprising me by the way they make it trough space between clean twists and engaging mids, alive and ... new. Music needs to be able to convey emotions, and these emotions must be such as to be reflected in the sounds we know in reality.

The internal X3's amplifier will satisfy anyone in search for a solution of performance and quality without necessarily having to kill the wallet  or either giving away in terms of quality; I find this to be a very important point because the value of this DAC is second to none, not even compared to eastern competitions. Indeed!
Is it the best amplifier I've ever tried? Of course not, but among those amplifiers "embedded" in many DACS, is definatly one of the best. It's really hard to find such a good DAC in conjunction with an amp of this class in the price range of the X3. If you think that only a tube amp can drive my 600 ohm Beyerdynamic T1 with authority, finding the X3 being able to to do the same was a surprise.Shure the sound is different from tubes, but the power is there.
I personally prefer tubes with this kind of high impedance headphones, but only because the tone of the valve is what I particularly like. The HD 650, for example, are in great synergy with this DAC, surely so are the HD 700 and needless to say the Chroma MD-2.
If you are looking for a high level DAC/Amp  without making your wallet  hate you,the Rudistor DAC X3 is one of the best high-end combo the market has to offer, made to last for many years to come.

THE AMPLIFIER

Rudistor RPX 35
 ​
Logical successor to the Rudistor RPX-33 this model represents a new step forward in the evolution and pursuit of excellence. Clean design and personality, power and sound character for the most demanding passionate .

RUDISTOR RPX-35's TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Maximum Output:   700mW
    Output Impedance:  16 - 600 Ohm
    Bandwidth:  1-100.000 Hz < 0.5db
    HD: 0.02% (3Vpp on 32Ohm)
    Technology:  FET & Bipolar Transistors
    Input Ipmedance:  47 Kohm
    Input / Output: 1 x line
    Output: For two headphones
    Amplification Class:  Always A-Class
    Dimensions (cm):  340 *60*252mm
    Weight (Kg): 5 kg

AMPLIFIER DESIGN

Consistent with the DAC X3, Chroma MD-2 and the rest of the family also the RPx 35 dresses vintage. Again we find on the nice chrome panel the classy switch;logos and inscriptions are sunken into the metal to emphasize the craftsmanship of these products.

Among the technical features of this amplifier, the 700mW output tells you that  power is enough to remove any doubt about the headphones that may be controlled by RPX 35.

Interesting the "Dual Mono" idea implemented by RudiStor, where the two headphone outputs are completely independent, dedicated respectively to high and low sensitivity to be used depending on headphones type. The power supply circuit based on multiplier capacity provides always "clean" constant current to further protects the audio signal.

The RudiStor RPX-35 comes with a set of pre-out RCA outputs for power amplifiers or speakers. As usual the RPX-35 assembly takes place in Italy in Rudistor R & D Labs.

THE SOUND

I think it's time to check what is most important,meaning discovering how this amplifier behaves once hooked  to his family, and since I have already on my head the Chroma MD-2 and I also verified what they can do, all is left to do is  hooking the DAC X3 to 'RPX-35 and run Fidelia Pro on my iMac. Since the optical iMac output will not make up to 192, I connected the DAC via USB and I set the X3 to 192 khz conversion starting from my original 24/96 files.

​
 ​
RUDISTOR DAC and AMP: organic music

The very first thing I always make shure when I connect my headphones to a new amplifier is to rise the volume all the way up to check for any background noise.

Deathly silence. Pitch black. Well I can now turn up the knob to 9 o'clock, a polite and respectful volume for conversation; I don't want shoot too loud because I'd like to find out if the potentiometer scales channels evenly also at low volumes as shown in the specifications. I start playing "That Loving Feeling" an Isaac Hayes song remake by the "Blank & Jones"  from their first CD "Relax". This passage gives many details to consider: voice, transparency, low cadence and some electronic elements with percussion and guitars that if not well separated are in danger of becoming a meatloaf.

The Chroma MD2 immediately tells me that the signal is clear, both right and left channel are perfectly balanced. I wait few seconds before enjoying a slow, gradual but inexorable up movement of the potentiometer.
At 10 o'clock, the Chroma MD2 starts sending nice vibrations while collecting details out of my head in front of me and on the sides. Playing "Friends", same album, the male voice is at the center of two guitars and electric violins come from everywhere very clearly,leaning on a low educated base acting as a soft carpet. Everything is present, music passing in front of me is asking me to follow it around in it's adventures. Like swimming in a pond of clear water. The male voice is real, it seems only two or three feet away from me. Fantastic. I can't wait to move on to something more energetic like some good rock.

I push start on "Skinfist" Tool's "Aenima" album. It's a song I know like my pockets. I love the battery that appears detached from the context and the voice filtering it's way through thick and a little neurotic electric guitar rives. The Chrome immediately puts  everything  in place; the drums comes to the front as expected with the crash cymbal marking time  while the fast RPX 35  do not miss a millisecond of dynamism. I decide to increase the volume a bit, after all I'm listening to Tool not school poems.
No strange reactions, the volume increases but things remain in place, lows are pushing up, the RPX is becoming authoritarian but the Chroma MD2 is only now starting to have fun. And I do too. They are right there, Tool are playing for me, involvement is total, organic sounds, alive and true. The sound stage of these three RudiStor is a hoot. The right word is fun, real pleasure, but with respect, because the detail and transparency of the more complicated steps remind you that you don't have in your hands a Bose or toys as such, this is  high level hifi so better choose quality recordings for not missing the real fun.

I go look for the "Bliss" and press play on the first track of the CD "No One Built This Moment." Excellent recording. The plucking of the guitar is so true which seems to break the strings at any time. The lows slowly begin to mount from behind while a violin begins to talk with the guitar, always in front of me; this was a test of transparency and detail. Passed with flying colors!

To follow a protagonist guitar and bass with some slight electronic percussions. It seems like being in an auditorium, until she appears and in front of me I hear, feel and see a warm voice and everything is transformed and becomes more intimate; the Chroma MD2 gracefully accompany all placements suggests by the DAC, while the 'RPX does not interfere, and just provides to support the scene with grace. At this point I decide to let the CD scroll through  and immerse myself into the music, sounds and voices coming from all sides.

Has passed just over an hour but I still keep the headphones on. I can only say,and of course at this point it's widely understood, that this RudiStor audio chain has really got me. We are in a higher level of class, where the audiophiles real protagonists are the emotions. Everything here is Italian, from design to final assembly phase; I know understand why  RudiStor sells plenty in China and Hong Kong to the new rich people emerging in those countries. They buy Made in Italy, U.S.A an Geramany stuff of great quality, and we Europeans along with Americans buy Chinese.
Am I missing something here?
Great music to everyone and thanks for patiently reading my poor English.

LINK TO RUDISTORE

LINK TO ORIGINAL REVIEW

May 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Any chance you can post more in-depth comparisons with the other TOTL cans you had on hand? A comparo with the LCD-2 and PS1000 would also be nice, if possible.

These are definitely on my list, but I can't find much else about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back