Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker – Plus Headquarters Tour
Aug 26, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #121 of 234
Hi all !

I love my RIVA X. I bought it 1 month ago, a cool device for the summer party on beach with a few freinds
Sound quality is far better than my old Big Jambox that I have since 2 years.

That said, I have one little problem with my RIVA X. It is battery saving.

I always forget to shut it down with the red switch behind and it seems that if we don't switch it off the battery slowly drains out.
When I come back I few days later my RIVA X is out of battery. That is annoying, because when I need it, it is often out of battery.

Do you have the same problem ?

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #122 of 234
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your comment. First, if you are using Turbo X mostly indoors, you can keep it plugged into the wall with the DC charger and not use the battery at all. The speaker does not need to be charged or running on battery to operate. The purpose of the battery is to use it when it’s not plugged into the AC outlet.

The Turbo X will stay on continuously while it is Bluetooth paired. If you turn off Bluetooth on your phone, causing Turbo X to go into pairing mode, after approximately 5 minutes it will then automatically power off. However, it will still slowly drain the battery and up to 9 days later, fully drain the battery. To prevent this, you would need to push outwards the red battery button.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #123 of 234
Given the issue(s) I had been experiencing with my Turbo X, I thought that I'd report back my latest experience. That is, everything's been fixed! After contacting Don, he dispatched a replacement speaker to me straightaway. Comparison testing between the new speaker and the old revealed that, as I hoped/suspected, the distortion that is present in the latter is due to some sort internal defect rather than a design limitation of the Turbo X. The new speaker handles everything I throw at it with aplomb. And I am very pleased! 
biggrin.gif

Major thanks to Mr. North, for taking the time to resolve my situation so expeditiously. I can't say that I'm surprised by the quality of his – and, by extension, RIVA's – customer service, but I am grateful. 
smile.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #124 of 234
^ Awesome.  I love reading customer service success stories like yours, particularly since I'm a fellow Turbo X buyer.  When I initially read your complaint I thought it was a minor issue of sonic preference.  But upon seeing the response it got and the end result, I'm very impressed.  I look forward to whatever RIVA brings next.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #125 of 234
I played the turbo at max volume with turbo enabled, and I believe the speakers have been somewhat blown. This is not a case of too much volume, because when connected by bluetooth, the volume control on the speaker controls the BT volume control on my phone and vice versa, so it's not like I'm pushing it past it's normal capabilities. The same goes for effect. I have EQ effects off, so no bass boost or anything. I bought it new directly from Riva as well, so, not too sure what to do. I actually would prefer to just get a refund, or at least a replacement/repair. Prefer the refund due to my experience and lack of funds as of late.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #126 of 234
  I played the turbo at max volume with turbo enabled, and I believe the speakers have been somewhat blown. This is not a case of too much volume, because when connected by bluetooth, the volume control on the speaker controls the BT volume control on my phone and vice versa, so it's not like I'm pushing it past it's normal capabilities. The same goes for effect. I have EQ effects off, so no bass boost or anything. I bought it new directly from Riva as well, so, not too sure what to do. I actually would prefer to just get a refund, or at least a replacement/repair. Prefer the refund due to my experience and lack of funds as of late.

Have you contacted RIVA directly?  If not, that would be my next (first) step.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #127 of 234

Have you contacted RIVA directly?  If not, that would be my next (first) step.

Sure have. I'm awaiting response. Just wanted to let people know.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #128 of 234
Sure have. I'm awaiting response. Just wanted to let people know.

Great, thanks for the clarification. As long as you are within the 90 days, RIVA should have your back with regards to a requested refund. Wishing all goes well for you.

I've been running the Turbo X for a while, almost everyday as a television speaker, and as a Bluetooth speaker, setting it up at various practice locations playing at either 10 or Turbo when we go live.

The Turbo X has been for me like a gift that keeps giving.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #129 of 234
Great, thanks for the clarification. As long as you are within the 90 days, RIVA should have your back with regards to a requested refund. Wishing all goes well for you.

I've been running the Turbo X for a while, almost everyday as a television speaker, and as a Bluetooth speaker, setting it up at various practice locations playing at either 10 or Turbo when we go live.

Sure thing. Nah, I'm barely over. I purchased on 6/15, so 15days past, but credit card company would have my back with purchase protection since it's within 120days. I never have used Turbo for longer periods till recently, so it's funny it's a bit over the 90days. Thanks though.

Right on man. It really is an incredible piece though.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #130 of 234

I also have been using it daily as a TV speaker, usually on Turbo at max or close to it.  Truly amazing little speaker.  Not too long ago my receiver died which drove a pair of Magnepan MMGs... I've decided this is good enough and will probably sell the speakers.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #131 of 234
Hi folks,

Bought my Riva Turbo X on Monday, been playing around with it since... so far I'm a little underwhelmed.  I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've found the sound to be quite muffled - as if it was wrapped in a towel or something.

I'm used to listening to a Logitech S715i on AC power, and to me the Turbo X sounds more muddied, with less defined treble, and less sound separation (even when using AC power).

I'm happy to note that there's FAR less distortion on the Turbo X though, and of course the battery will last much longer than the S715i.

I use a DX90 and aux. cable for listening to music.  All my music is FLAC.  I don't use Bluetooth at all but unfortunately all portable powered speakers seem to be Bluetooth speakers which is why I did my research and bought the Turbo X. 

Anyone got any tips for getting the most out of the Riva for my set-up?  Would the phono amp mode help?  Is there a required burn-in period?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #132 of 234
Hm, "muffled" is not a word that I would use to describe the Turbo X.
confused.gif
 I used to own a Harmon Kardon GO+PLAY II, which was highly regarded as a fairly TOTL portable several years ago. The Turbo X cleaned its clock so thoroughly that I ended up giving the GO+PLAY II to a friend as a gift almost immediately after comparing the two. But, then again, I have no idea what your ears are used to vis a vis your previous experience with portable speakers. Maybe try out the Surround setting, see if that makes any positive difference?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #133 of 234
Perhaps muffled isn't the right word.  Let me try and explain this way: it sounds like the filter knob on a mixing console isn't fully to the right.  It sounds like it's 2/3rds or half way, meaning some of the higher frequencies aren't heard or if they are they don't sound crisp.  I first heard this when listening to a comparison between the Riva and the Infinity One on Youtube (binaural recording through headphones).  The Infinity One sounded much clearer to my ears, but had horrendous distortion problems.  So I went for the Turbo X thinking it might sound a bit brighter and clearer in real life.  Unfortunately that's not what I've found, which is strange when you consider the S715i is much older device.

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if I've a faulty unit or high expectations :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #134 of 234
  Perhaps muffled isn't the right word.  Let me try and explain this way: it sounds like the filter knob on a mixing console isn't fully to the right.  It sounds like it's 2/3rds or half way, meaning some of the higher frequencies aren't heard or if they are they don't sound crisp.  I first heard this when listening to a comparison between the Riva and the Infinity One on Youtube (binaural recording through headphones).  The Infinity One sounded much clearer to my ears, but had horrendous distortion problems.  So I went for the Turbo X thinking it might sound a bit brighter and clearer in real life.  Unfortunately that's not what I've found, which is strange when you consider the S715i is much older device.

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if I've a faulty unit or high expectations :)

My first reaction when hearing your description of the sound was that your unit is possibly defective. You should e-mail the folks at Riva.

I have two of them and bought one for my father. None of them are what I would characterize as muffled at all. They sound pretty well balanced. The highs are clear and detailed without being harsh. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #135 of 234
I used to have a Jam party or something but it eventually stopped working because I left it out in the sun for too long (oops ^^). I almost got one of those beats ones, but someone advised against it (just a trendy name). I fell upon a few reads about the Riva, but I never heard of Riva before (from anywhere). POC likes them http://pocinc.net/blog/technology-news/rivas-turbo-x-a-multidimensional-speaker-experience , although CNET I remember (can’t find link) said it wasn’t “perfect”, but still came in high in their approval. The guy at BB bragged about it when I spoke to him, but they didn’t have any which I thought was a “of course…why wouldn’t you have what I’m looking for” moment (felt like I was at Wally World). When I found this review. Holy jesus, now we're talking! So I bought one. Way more expensive than my little Jam speaker, but I feel like I bought a portable speaker bar thing instead. It’s much bigger than my Jam but still perfect to carry around and it sounds really really....REALLY good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back