REVIEW: RedWineAudio Isabella tube Preamp/DAC/Headphone amp
Oct 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit confused, say I decided to go with Red Wine only components(with out owning any previous dacs oramps and what not) what parts would I need to get? I am a bit confused with that they have 4 different components...How do they all add up?

Depends what you want to achieve.
wink.gif

Lets say you have a computer and want to drive speakers or headphones. Then you could pick up the Isabellina (DAC) and a Signature 30.2 (amplifier). If you have multiple sources you may want to look into the Isabella (pre-amp/DAC), and possible the same amplifier.

More information to us = more details back to you. You know...

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on the excellent design and positive press Vinnie! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks, Everyone!

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI,

Vinnie from Red Wine Audio just announced a battery-powered dedicated headphone amp. Joint effort with ALO. More... Plans for stand alone headphone amp?

Great news!
Vinnie, best wishes for the upcoming headphone amplifier. Looking at the iMod docks I have no doubt it will be a looker.
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #52 of 90
I had a chance to hear the Isabella and I liked it but I felt that it wasn't as good as other amps that were cheaper. I was somewhat disappointed. But it was a brief listen so my judgement is not as legitmate as the other reviewers.

I will say that the other Red Wine Audio amp, the Signature 30.2 really blew me away. It was stunning. One of the best amps I've ever heard.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #53 of 90
Sadly I have never auditioned the Isabella.
But knowing how I love the Isabellina and Signature 30.2 I am quite sure I would have liked it a lot as well.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #55 of 90
As a point of reference, the Isabella is first a wonderful line-stage -- and with options added -- an incredible DAC (IMO), that also happens to have an optional headphone output (for an additional $500).

My priority is 2ch Omega single drivers, so I'm in heaven with this unit.

I have not had much opportunity to use the headphone out yet, so SouthernCanfest will be my chance to hopefully select a set of cans for my Isabella. So I can't render an opinion on this portion of the unit, yet.

Vinnie and Ken plan to send me their new dedicated RWA / ALO headphone amp for the meet as well, along with a set of ALO cabled cans. Danny has been nice enough to let me borrow his Moon Black Dragon hardwired AKG K1000s. So I plan to have three RWA listening stations at my table
beerchug.gif

If you are anywhere convenient to Charlotte, this promises to be a great audio event!

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a point of reference, the Isabella is first a wonderful line-stage -- and with options added -- an incredible DAC (IMO), that also happens to have an optional headphone output (for an additional $500).

My priority is 2ch Omega single drivers, so I'm in heaven with this unit.

I have not had much opportunity to use the headphone out yet, so SouthernCanfest will be my chance to hopefully select a set of cans for my Isabella. So I can't render an opinion on this portion of the unit, yet.

Vinnie and Ken plan to send me their new dedicated RWA / ALO headphone amp for the meet as well, along with a set of ALO cabled cans. Danny has been nice enough to let me borrow his Moon Black Dragon hardwired AKG K1000s. So I plan to have three RWA listening stations at my table
beerchug.gif

If you are anywhere convenient to Charlotte, this promises to be a great audio event!

Wish I could audition the RWA Isabella.
regular_smile .gif

Your thoughts are in line with the review that I read over at 6moons; for an all-in-one it sounds good; however, if you compare the headphone section to other dedicated amplification in it's price bracket you may come up on par with its $500 peers (RSA, etc). Supposedly, not the case with the DAC. Although, I'm not sure about the line stage, because I cannot remember the authors comments on it.

Overall I like the approach, because it's a one stop shop and seemingly a perfect segue into my next venture: speakers, while retaining my current hobby: headphones.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your thoughts are in line with the review that I read over at 6moons; for an all-in-one it sounds good; however, if you compare the headphone section to other dedicated amplification in it's price bracket you may come up on par with its $500 peers (RSA, etc).

FWIW, that was NOT my impression. I felt the headphone preformance was stellar, not "on par with $500 peers". That isn't the right way to look at it, anyway - the $500 headphone optional board uses the same tube input stage, power supply, chassis - so in a stand alone $500 amp you'd have to allocate parts cost to those things - in the RWA Isabella, the $500 headphone options focuses only on the headphone circuitry.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, that was NOT my impression. I felt the headphone preformance was stellar, not "on par with $500 peers". That isn't the right way to look at it, anyway - the $500 headphone optional board uses the same tube input stage, power supply, chassis - so in a stand alone $500 amp you'd have to allocate parts cost to those things - in the RWA Isabella, the $500 headphone options focuses only on the headphone circuitry.

I don't have enough experience with high-end headphone amps or the headphone section of the Isabella to know how well this unit compares strictly on the criteria of a DAC / head amp.

But I'm pretty confident as a designer Vinnie was targeting the quality of the line-stage and DAC as his main priorities. In that regard I am confident the Isabella is a very musical product and a very good value. To me, the headphone output is icing on the cake!

It's also nice not to have to worry about purchasing a bunch of quality ICs, power cords, or even a power conditioner to get the system sounding its best
wink.gif

BTW: I have heard a few $500 head amps. I'm also confident the Isabella plays well about those that I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back