REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio “Apache” balanced headphone amp/preamp
May 30, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #61 of 79
Your reviews are always a pleasure to read Skylab. I like your writing style and your enthusiasm for the hobby certainly shows. Great job once again.

Oh and BTW "Beelly Don't scratch the finish."
icon10.gif

May 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your reviews are always a pleasure to read Skylab. I like your writing style and your enthusiasm for the hobby certainly shows. Great job once again.

Thanks! I sure appreciate that. Now if I was only good at woodworking like you are
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #63 of 79
So the SS amp sounds almos as good as the tube amp in balanced mode??

What about the depth and width of the sound stage? Everyone says that tubes give a more holographic expansive sound stage compared to SS.

The Rudistor amps are SS and have a tube-like quality according to some reviews. Is this true for the Apache?

May 31, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What about the depth and width of the sound stage? Everyone says that tubes give a more holographic expansive sound stage compared to SS.

The Rudistor amps are SS and have a tube-like quality according to some reviews. Is this true for the Apache?

Ray's SS amps usually sound quite "tube-like", but a comparison between the Apache and the B-52, for example, would be very welcome. Maybe Ray himself could give a hint?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO, this is what the Apache does so VERY well.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #67 of 79
NIce review. I was wondering how the Apache faired directly aganist the Krell KSA pre amp driving your Sunfire amp and B&W speakers?

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NIce review. I was wondering how the Apache faired directly aganist the Krell KSA pre amp driving your Sunfire amp and B&W speakers?

Skylab... also interested on your thought on this...

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Apache was just a touch warmer, but the Krell was just a little more detailed, and has the slightly more extended extreme bass and treble. The Apache was certainly very competitive, but it was a bit of a toss up.

But the Apache offers more value since it includes the awesome headphone amp :)

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for off topic..well its sort of on the topic..

swt61 I made your Sig! thats so awesome, as my future wife would say "thats hot"

thanks man..hehe
tongue.gif

LOL! Just now seeing this. Glad you like it. Have fun tomorrow at the meet. Some of my favorite Head-Fiers are from Chicago...you, Skylab and Matt (khbaur330162) are always a must read for me.

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #74 of 79
Thanks! Looking forward to it. I'm finally going to get to hear a pair of L3000's - that might be very bad for my wallet...

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #75 of 79
I lam looking for a great pre amp as well as cutting edge headphone amp. Was the Apache was really competitive or a toss up when the Krell was more detailed and more extended extreme bass and treble. This the Apache a compromise compared to a pre amp such as the Krell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back