REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio “Apache” balanced headphone amp/preamp
May 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 79
Sky, guess you be selling that opera ...Hehehehh!
icon10.gif

May 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab!

In another thread about balanced vs SE, Ray says this about the B-52, which could work for the Apache as well. Could make for your comparision to be a little better as the only thing you'd have to do is switch and compensate for volume?

That only tests the differences between balanced and unbalanced SOURCES - does not test the difference between balanced and unbalanced HEADPHONES.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoked ou7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sky, guess you be selling that opera ...Hehehehh!
icon10.gif

Not a chance. The Opera will stay in my office, where it has been, since I need a DAC there, and I do love the Opera.

May 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 79
Great review. I've been looking for somethng this detailed since giving the Apache a cursory listen at the International meet. Much of what you say confirms my brief initial impressions, so it is good to hear I wasn't just imagining how good the apache sounded.

May 23, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RudiStor NX-33 a full balanced solid state amplifier.

1. How does this above ss amp compare to the Apache?

2. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DUAL MONO balanced and other balanced amps? Forgive my stupidity here.

3. Can one achieve a balanced headphone configuration using a balanced DAC like the DAC 1, VDA-2 DAC, or Lavry DA10 with two tube amps like two Woo6s or DOGE 6210s???

I can't tell you how the NX-33 is vs the Apache as I listened to the apache only briefly. But I suspect that the Apache is better, as expected at 2 1/2 the price of the NX-33. What I can say is that the NX-33 is a very good amp.
Last night I compared it to my Singlepower Extreme Platinum (both in to be single-ended configurations fair). This time (I had compared them once before) I put in my favorite pair of output tubes in the Extreme. My first comparison between the two amps was a toss up--too close to decide. With the "better" set of tubes a very slight advantage went to the Extreme. But this was very subtle. I felt almost like I was A/Bing interconnects, they were so close. The Extreme had just a bit of the tube undefinable quality that tipped the scales. But it was so close that the convenience of the SS amp might tip the overall rating back. Both were really wonderful with an unbalanced SACD source. But going with the same source and the the NX-33 in balanced mode tipped the scales in favor of the NX-33.

If you do some research you will find that the Extreme Platinum is a very good tube amp (and it might get even better with really expensive NOS tubes). I have been very happy with it and only regret the fact that it is not balanced (having picked up a pair of balanced Edition 9s). The fact that the NX-33 is so close to such a good tube amp seems to be a very good endorsement to me. Prior to having the NX-33 I have thought of myself as tube guy. While I still have a littel bias in that direction the NX-33 has opened my eyes to the sound quality that can be obtained from a SS amp.

As to #3 above I believe the answer to that is no. Taking internal circutiry aside (which may be big), the 2 single ended amps still have unbalanced cable and RCA inputs and single-ended outputs. Some noise might be picked up from the cable (depending on the lenght of the runs) but more importantly the common ground can provide noise. Hopefully someone more technically inclined can give you greter detail.

May 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 79
Thanks for the invaluable review Skylab. The after effects are certainly felt.
mushroomcloudxe5.jpg

May 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 79
I remember listening to the Apache using Ray's Vinyl driving a balanced hd650 - and my god, this was an out of this world experience, and it impressed me even further driving an R-10. Congrats on having one on order Skylab.

May 23, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work Sky. I cannot believe how much time you have committed to doing reviews! Thanks for your efforts and keep up the good work!
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that. It does take a lot of time, and I am sure I will run out of steam at some point, but right now I am really enjoying it.

May 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 79
Skylab, I'm not criticizing; I always post my Initial Impressions of gear (labelled as such). I also understand that certain gear is so much better than what you've heard before it's just silly to wait. That said, can I ask how many days you've had the Apache and how many hours of burn-in it has? Will you be posting follow up after some time has passed?

May 23, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 79
Hi Markl:

Please understand, this is NOT my Apache. It's Ray's. I have had it a little over a week, and I have to give it back soon. But it is fully broken in already I assure you - there is nothing to report about break-in. It has long since passed the point of that
smily_headphones1.gif

I am in line to get mine, just like the other people who have ordered...

May 23, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #27 of 79
Thanks a lot Skylab! Like I'm not already torn enough between the two $3k amps (Apache and WA5), I needed to read this!
wink.gif

I actually prefered the balanced HD650 on the Apache over the R10... but I wanted to swipe some balanced GS1000's from TTVJ's room and try them on the Apache... bet that would have sounded purdy sweet.

May 24, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 79
Thanks for the excellent and detailed review of the Apache Skylab. I currently own one of Ray's Stealth and can tell you that it's a great sounding amp. I can only imagine how great the Apache sounds and look foward to reading your additional impressions when you receive your amp.

May 24, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #29 of 79
Thanks Sky for the quality read on your newest amp, and so clearly as to why
wink.gif

Nice~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back