Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #6,601 of 7,140
Yes, To me I get a completely different sound in firmware 1.08 than I do in firmware 1.09. Maybe night as much difference in the highs but in the bass there is a noticable difference. Listening to tracks like Bass Boy - Rebel Bass and Bass Outlaws - 3 Kings Of Bass you can definitely hear the difference where if I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac - Dreams can't tell that much difference.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #6,602 of 7,140
Thnx just checked and it is formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32)...still getting the same no-go, was reading a few pages back some-one mentioned doing an unzipping of a file.
Don't know if i should bother...is the upgrade really much better, I've been putting up with dicky battery percentage for a couple of years and am used to it, maybe I'm better off with the devil i know
If you haven't unzipped it, do it.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #6,604 of 7,140
Night and Day ?

Yes, To me I get a completely different sound in firmware 1.08 than I do in firmware 1.09. Maybe night as much difference in the highs but in the bass there is a noticable difference. Listening to tracks like Bass Boy - Rebel Bass and Bass Outlaws - 3 Kings Of Bass you can definitely hear the difference where if I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac - Dreams can't tell that much difference.

Sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #6,605 of 7,140

Sorry about the double post.
You've peaked my interest. I'll try it and see. I hope I'll still like 0.9 more, as I like the 120-step volume.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #6,607 of 7,140
Thnx rr12267, doing the reformatting as we speak (again) having a hard time trying to unzip file (sorry I'm a noob on computers), using a Mac. Finally worked out how to unzip file and eureka upgrade done.
Thank you all for your help.....back to enjoying my music :smile_phones: 1.0.9

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #6,608 of 7,140
Just catching up on the thread, and have a couple of comments:

First, the battery indicator on my QP1R still works fine after getting it back from repair last July. When I sent it in, it read 100% at all times, regardless of the actual state of charge. The repair was well worth the trouble in my view.

Second,... I don't want to start any conspiracy theories, but on the subject of firmware version 1.09 vs. previous versions, and with regards to maximum volume limits: I keep thinking back to the Stereophile magazine test report of the QP1R. https://www.stereophile.com/content/questyle-audio-qp1r-hi-rez-portable-player

I wonder if Questyle might have made a modification to the maximum volume limit in the latest firmware, in response to the maximum volume clipping issue raised in the Stereophile test report? It's just idle speculation on my part, and I have not the means, or desire, to test this in any way.

I do think that with the change from 60 volume steps to 120 steps in version 1.09 that, say, half scale volume seems to sound a dB or so lower than previous versions. But bottom line, it is not an issue in my usage because I can't listen to any of my headphones (Etymotic ER4S, AKG K701) with the QP1R near maximum volume anyway, with any firmware version; it's just too loud. With version 1.09, I turn the volume to whatever volume level sounds good, 65, 70, 75, whatever. I don't know what to say if the QP1R needs to be maxed out to drive a particular headphone.

From Stereophile Dec 2015 issue:
"Fig.7 shows a spectral analysis of the Questyle's output while decoding a full-scale 50Hz tone. The volume control was at its maximum, and when I looked at the oscilloscope screen, the top halves of the waveform were beginning to clip, which is why a picket fence of low-level distortion harmonics can be seen. Reducing the volume by 2.5dB eliminated the clipping, and now only some odd-order harmonics are visible (fig.8), with the third the highest in level at –104dB (0.0006%). The distortion was even lower with DSD64 data (fig.9). Intermodulation distortion was also extremely low, even with the volume control set to its maximum (fig.10).
image: https://www.stereophile.com/images/1215Questfig07.jpg

1215Questfig07.jpg

Fig.7 Questyle QP1R, volume control at "60," spectrum of 50Hz sinewave, DC–1kHz, at 0dBFS into 100k ohms (left channel blue, right red; linear frequency scale).

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...table-player-measurements#Wj7pvtqdZxrpxegT.99

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #6,609 of 7,140

Having a listen to the 1.0.9 and sounds a lot smoother than what i had (PrimaLuna amp with Harbeth bookshelves) seem to have lost loudness but thats not a bad thing. Flac sounds sweet especially through the headphones
Yes it is night and day.....now I'm curious about the 1.0.8 version

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #6,610 of 7,140
Having a listen to the 1.0.9 and sounds a lot smoother than what i had (PrimaLuna amp with Harbeth bookshelves) seem to have lost loudness but thats not a bad thing. Flac sounds sweet especially through the headphones
Yes it is night and day.....now I'm curious about the 1.0.8 version

I never had a problem with 1.09 not being as loud as the 1.08 firmware. It's that the bass on music that I listen to hits harder on the 1.08 firmware. Now with my RBH-HP-2 headphones, tracks like Drake - Faithful, Sir-Mix-A-Lot - Rippin' & Little Dragon - Cat Rider (Virgin Magnetic Material Remix), I can feel the bass. On tracks like Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox & Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy the bass isn't overpowering. It sounds like it should for those recordings. The QP1R is one of the only daps out of many that I have that sounds so good that I never have to EQ it. If your not a fan of hard hitting bass and enjoy a smoother sound then I believe 1.09 is the firmware for you. I agree about Flac files. All of my files are that except for Michael Jackson's Thriller. I have a DSD of that.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #6,611 of 7,140
I never had a problem with 1.09 not being as loud as the 1.08 firmware. It's that the bass on music that I listen to hits harder on the 1.08 firmware. Now with my RBH-HP-2 headphones, tracks like Drake - Faithful, Sir-Mix-A-Lot - Rippin' & Little Dragon - Cat Rider (Virgin Magnetic Material Remix), I can feel the bass. On tracks like Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox & Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy the bass isn't overpowering. It sounds like it should for those recordings. The QP1R is one of the only daps out of many that I have that sounds so good that I never have to EQ it. If your not a fan of hard hitting bass then i believe 1.09 is the firmware for you.

Not as loud as the firmware i replaced 1.0.6 i meant, will download the 1.0.8 version and have a listen

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #6,615 of 7,140
I can hardly believe the switch between firmwares can do that much on sound signature, speaking bass impact.
On the other hand I'm interested. But also insecure about the battery stuff, as of now on 1.09 everything is working fine (for the first time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back