Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Dec 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,781 of 7,140
Ok I need two last features and I m done - classifying albums by year for a given artist.
And follow through albums (when one artist album the next kicks in automatically).
Thanks again Questyle!

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #3,783 of 7,140
Ok I need two last features and I m done - classifying albums by year for a given artist.
And follow through albums (when one artist album the next kicks in automatically).
Thanks again Questyle!

I have exactly the first feature on my QP1R. But then I created a Macro in 'free' mp3tag to take the metadata 'Year' field and add in it brackets to the start of every 'album title' in my vast collection.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #3,784 of 7,140
does it work on the QP1R if we use 3.5mm TTRS jack on it?

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #3,785 of 7,140
I hate to be the 'party pooper', but with what I've got to say, it's inevitable. I've finally given up on my QP1R. After a month of 'dealing with' the QP1R experience and its' counter-intuitive UI boggled with screen-locks after volume change, backwards volume knob (though fixed), wheel that doesn't recognize each click, constant menu interruptions caused by adjacent buttons too close to the wheel (all even after updating to the newest firmware)... not to mention most importantly its' sub-par DAC with a fairly distinct "sabre glare" and substantial loss of detail, and amping stage that basically requires double amping in order to get satisfying fidelity - I've sent my QP1R in for a refund.

Luckily the vendor was nice enough to process my refund beyond the usual return period with a 15% restocking fee. I had really put this DAP through the paces, testing it against my Fiio X5 v2, Gustard X12 DAC including each with native DSD playback, Mimby DAC, Liquid Carbon and Elise tube amp, to which the QP1R performed just maybe 25% better than the FiiO X5. But as a DAC it did not even  come close to my entry-level R2R Mimby DAC nor the Gustard X12 in DSD mode, and as an amp it was also better than the FiiO X5 but still not equal to the Liquid Carbon or Elise.

I will hold out for the possibility of an R2R / multibit DAP if one is ever invented, or possibly one with a well implemented Wolfson chip rather than any more with Sabre or Cirrus Logic chips. I'l admit I may have become a bit spoiled, having tried numerous multi-thousand dollar summi-fi rigs at a half dozen meets and have become a bit of an analytical listener, but for $1,000 I'd expect better fidelity than this. I'd also challenge the notion that the QP1R bests the likes of the AK380 DAP, and this is something I will give another listen to.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of any R2R or Wolfson DAP's, that would be nice to know of.
took you a while! I didn't bother waiting that long or giving it a chance. Subpar dac was apparent from first listen with no depth and sterile sound. Same with the amp.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,786 of 7,140
I just bought one of these little beauties and got it the day before the 1.08 FW was released... I had a really hard time finding my music and seriously considered returning it already at the first day. But all is sweet with the new FW where we have the Artist - Album - Music option. 

This is my second DAP, the first was an iBasso DX80. Build quality and sound is clearly better on the QP1R, but I still feel the DX80 was much easier to navigate, but sound quality is by far most important for me. So far I have only used it with my CustomArt CIEM's and the sound is really amazing. Need to try it with some headphones also  :)

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,787 of 7,140
  I just bought one of these little beauties and got it the day before the 1.08 FW was released... I had a really hard time finding my music and seriously considered returning it already at the first day. But all is sweet with the new FW where we have the Artist - Album - Music option. 

This is my second DAP, the first was an iBasso DX80. Build quality and sound is clearly better on the QP1R, but I still feel the DX80 was much easier to navigate, but sound quality is by far most important for me. So far I have only used it with my CustomArt CIEM's and the sound is really amazing. Need to try it with some headphones also  :)

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3,790 of 7,140
All righty, here are my extended impressions of the QP1R! These impressions are with the latest 1.0.8 firmware, and this is a demo unit that Netforce let me borrow.

Pros: Sound quality, build quality, vibration feedback, battery life, 2 microSD slots, ease of updating the firmware
Cons: User interface, time to charge battery

[rule]
Review scoring breakdown:
Value: 4.5/5
Audio Quality: 5/5
Design: 4/5
Battery Life: 4.5/5
User Interface: 3/5
Total: 4.2/5

[rule]
Design: 4/5
Exterior
I firstly want to say that I think the material choice of the QP1R is seriously top-notch. Gorilla Glass on the front and back panels, capacitive touch buttons on the front panel, solid aluminium base chassis, metal power button, metal potentiometer, and metal scroll wheel with milled grooves for aesthetics. I mean, these kinds of materials and the quality of their finishes are pretty much found in top-of-the line smartphones these days, so I think the QP1R deserves a 5/5 on that alone. You even get the choice of gray/silver or gold/copper color schemes to choose from. Not very many smartphones, let alone media players, have an option to choose a color.

However, I do have some problems with the design choice of the QP1R. For one, I don't know if it's this particular unit, but the volume knob has a large amount of wiggle room between each click, so it feels inefficient in terms of how much you have to rotate the knob in order to facilitate a response.

The other major problem I have with the design is the inconsistency of the scroll wheel rotation. Sometimes it seems to get stuck, sometimes it works smoothly; sometimes I can feel the clicks while rotating the wheel, other times I don't. It's kind of a weird experience.

Less importantly, the microSD card is so recessed into the QP1R that you need a fairly long fingernail (which I don't have) to push it in.

Also, although it doesn't affect me any my usage personally, the recessed microUSB port might be too recessed for some larger USB cables, and likewise for the 3.5 mm line-out/optical output port.

Interior
As for the internals of the QP1R, Questyle has packed some nice stuff in there. Hand-picked and tested components for the best performance, a generously large 3300 mAh battery (which is larger than a lot of modern smartphones mind you), Cirrus Logic DAC chip that supports 24/192 PCM and true 1-bit DSD decoding up to DSD128, 3X Clocks to ensure accurate timing and reduced jitter of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz sampling rate multiples, and their proprietary, discrete, Class A-biased Current Mode Amplification technology.

The inclusion of a vibration motor for haptic feedback is also a unique feature of the QP1R that I haven't personally felt in any other media player. It's out of this world cool! When you press one of the four capacitive buttons on the front panel, the whole unit produces a pretty strong vibration to let you know you've pressed it. Heck, the vibration is stronger than my smartphone when I have vibration-typing enabled.

All of this combined makes the QP1R feel quite heavy in your hand: DSLR telephoto lens heavy. Because of this, I would recommend getting a case for one of these just for added protection in the event you accidentally drop it.

USB DAC
A thing that I often see get overlooked is the ability for a portable media player to be used as a USB DAC. With the QP1R sounding as good as it does (see Audio Quality section below), the QP1R as a USB DAC has a big advantage over other systems I have: it's so dang small while being versatile for supported sampling rates.

What's interesting about the QP1R as a USB DAC is that it can tell the computer to stream a DSD signal directly to it, regardless of the operating system. I use OS X as my primary operating system, but when I had DSD bit-streaming enabled, the QP1R's screen was displaying 11289.6 kHz/1-bit. Usually DSD signals are sent through OS X as a PCM-disguised signal, and playback of DSD128 would hence require a DAC that can decode 352.8 kHz signals (2 channels * 16 bit * 352.8 kHz = 11,289.6 kbps == 2 channels * 1 bit * 44.1 kHz * 128).

[rule]
User Interface: 3/5
Honestly. I think the major disappointment of the QP1R is its user interface.

To start off with its good points though, the graphical user interface is usable and I can find things pretty easily. I keep my music files stored with good organization, so when I transfer them to a microSD card, things are easy for me to find when using the File Browsing function.

The screen brightness can be changed, as well as the screen and unit standby times before they turn off. The capacitive buttons are also really nice and they're quite responsive. The option to turn the vibration haptic feedback on or off is a nice touch; I personally really like the vibration feedback.

I you need to update the firmware, it's really simple. All you do is empty your microSD card by moving everything to the Trash or Recycle Bin, put the firmware file in the microSD, go to the "Update" menu in the QP1R, wait around 1.5 minutes for the device to update, recover your files from the Trash or Recycle Bin, and you're good to go.

The only complaint I have for the graphical user interface is that you need to navigate through seemingly unnecessary steps just to change the playback settings (repeat, shuffle, etc.). Maybe in a future firmware update, Questyle can add these options in the long-press Home button pop-up from the Now Playing screen. There is certainly plenty of space for it on the current options.

Now onto the serious user interface issues. For one, I don't know if it's this particular unit, but the volume knob works only around 50% of the time. If I adjust it slowly, such as 1 click a second, then it works okay; if I adjust it faster, it doesn't work as well as you can see in this video:

[video]https://youtu.be/tVQWWyP_gVw[/video]

Also as I mentioned in the Design section above, the wiggling of the volume knob makes adjusting the volume an inefficient process, on top of the volume randomly going up when I'm rotating it to lower the volume.

As for the scroll wheel, sometimes the software recognizes my scrolling accurately, other times it doesn't. It's not a big deal for me compared to the volume knob, but it's still kind of annoying when scrolling through settings and whatnot.

[rule]
Battery Life: 4.5/5
I was able to get around 9.5 hours of battery life while playing CD-quality songs on this unit. Not bad, not bad at all. That's pretty much slightly above average for most portable media players, so the battery life gets a thumbs up from me. Considering the QP1R has an energy-inefficient Class A amplifier circuit in it too, it's pretty impressive that it can pull off this kind of battery life.

The only thing I don't like about the battery life is how slow it charges. With such a large 3300 mAh battery, I think it takes around 4 hours to charge via USB (5 V, 0.5 A).

[rule]
Audio Quality: 5/5
Usually I wouldn't give a product a 5/5 rating for audio quality since I usually find something that doesn't work out for me. The QP1R seems to be the exception.

DAC
Donning a Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip, I wasn't sure what to expect from the QP1R since I am most familiar with Texas Instruments, AKM, and ESS DACs. I've also had the Schiit Bifrost Multi-Bit (BiMB) as my main desktop DAC for a few months. Even though it's not a direct apples to apples comparison, I find the QP1R's Cirrus Logic DAC to sound similar to the BiMB in terms of tonally and resolution, which I found surprising (using CD-quality songs to keep the comparison fair). It lacks the dynamics, finesse/smoothness, and imaging of the BiMB though, which isn't unexpected given that those are the strong points of R-2R DACs in general. The QP1R sounds more airy to me though, so it's a trade-off in terms of soundstage presentation and imaging between the QP1R and the BiMB as DACs.

If I had another 3.5 mm to RCA cable, I would have measured the output signals of each DAC to see how they differ, but the BiMB outputs a higher voltage compared to the QP1R I think (it's probably 2.0 VRMS versus 1.5 VRMS respectively).

Compared to ESS DACs, the QP1R's Cirrus Logic DAC sounds much more natural to me. It readily reveals the SABRE SOUNDTM of my LH Labs Geek Out V2+ even though I've found LH Labs' implementation of the ESS DACs to sound very nice. The ESS DACs do tend to sound airier than most DACs though, so if soundstage presentation is something you're looking for, those DACs tend to do it well.

DSD
In terms of the QP1R's implementation of the Cirrus Logic DAC for DSD playback, I think it sounds pretty dang solid. Compared to ESS DACs, again, the Cirrus Logic implementation in the QP1R just sounds a lot smoother and more natural sounding. The DSD library I have sounded really good through the QP1R.

So, the DAC gets a solid thumbs up for me. Not only does it sound great, but it handles PCM files up to 24/192, DSD up to DSD128 on OS X (via DSD over PCM signalling protocol), and True DSD on Windows up to DSD128.

Amplifier
As for the amp, section, you can't isolate that section from the QP1R, so I can only speak of how it sounds as a DAC/amp unit. I only have a limited amount of full-size headphones to test with at the moment, but the OPPO PM-3 and EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000 sound fantastic through the QP1R. I use low gain with both, and depending on my music, the volume is somewhere between 16-25 out of 60.

Likewise for in-ear monitors, the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor and Etymōtic Research ER4SR sound really smooth with the QP1R. I detected zero background hiss with them and I'm usually sensitive to that. I might attribute that to Questyle's Current Mode Amplification. Still on low gain, I tended to use volume 13-20 out of 60.

The amp section too gets a thumbs up for me. It can seemingly drive any headphone with ease and have both tons of headroom and zero background hiss.

[rule]
Value: 4/5
If you can tolerate the wonky volume knob, and the inconsistent scroll wheel, I think the QP1R is absolutely fantastic for the price you pay. If I didn't already back the LH Labs Geek Wave on Indiegogo, I would get a QP1R myself in a heartbeat. The QP1R is by far the best-sounding portable media player I've had the pleasure of listening to and I'd recommend giving it a listen if you can.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,792 of 7,140
Did you really need to upload extra pics of the QP1R? I thought we all pretty much know what it looks like ... but that is just my humble opinion

Why so negative with your " humble " opinion ? Perhaps you're unaware of the fact that people looking for a high end DAP might follow this thread and other threads before making a decision which costs a lot of money. Furthermore miceblue left the option " click to show" for people already familiar with the QP1R , which is very nice of him.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,793 of 7,140
Did you really need to upload extra pics of the QP1R? I thought we all pretty much know what it looks like ... but that is just my humble opinion

Looking at the photo carousel for this thread, I don't see any photos of the side, nor top/bottom, nor back panels of the QP1R specifically, so those photos are new here, let alone isolated photos. : p

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #3,794 of 7,140

More pics are always welcome. You're free to skip the post if you are not interested in looking at them.

Thanks for the detailed shots @miceblue !

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,795 of 7,140
Looking at the photo carousel for this thread, I don't see any photos of the side, nor top/bottom, nor back panels of the QP1R specifically, so those photos are new here, let alone isolated photos. : p

Hi,

Please take a look at my review (first post of my thread). You'll find lots of pictures (side, top/bottom, back panel, etcetera) of the QP1R there.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back