Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Sep 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #3,018 of 7,140

I know this is a headphone forum but I'm excited by my latest use of the QP1R, that of using the adjustable line out directly into my main system's power amp. QP1R --> NAD C275 --> Revel F208.

This is the best sound I've heard from these speakers. Previously tried the QP1R line or optical output into the Grace m903 that I use as a pre-amp, but by going direct to the power amp I hear improved detail and a more open sound, than when going through the Grace (either analog or optical connection).

My primary source is a laptop running Foobar2000. The QP1R isn't as mechanically noisy as the laptop (good), but lacks the remote control of volume & track/playlist selection (bad).

Of course the QP1R sounds great through my Etymotic ER4 (new) and AKG K701 (old).

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,019 of 7,140

I know this is a headphone forum but I'm excited by my latest use of the QP1R, that of using the adjustable line out directly into my main system's power amp. QP1R --> NAD C275 --> Revel F208.

This is the best sound I've heard from these speakers. Previously tried the QP1R line or optical output into the Grace m903 that I use as a pre-amp, but by going direct to the power amp I hear improved detail and a more open sound, than when going through the Grace (either analog or optical connection).

My primary source is a laptop running Foobar2000. The QP1R isn't as mechanically noisy as the laptop (good), but lacks the remote control of volume & track/playlist selection (bad).

Of course the QP1R sounds great through my Etymotic ER4 (new) and AKG K701 (old).

Absolutely nothing wrong with showing off a cool system setup...especially using the QP1R as a source! 
biggrin.gif

Nice!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,020 of 7,140
My new unit is way more accurate, but not really accurate. It went down very linear until maybe 25%. Then there still is this drop, very fast to 4%.
Don't know yet if I should upgrade to 1.07.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,021 of 7,140
1.07 solves the problem of auto shutdown. So now my unit shuts down after 10 minutes of inactivity so I don't find it dead anymore when I forgot to shut it down, also songs over 10 minutes play on reliably. This was a big deal for me. And of course the best of all is the DAC function. I travel with this unit and being able to enjoy better sound quality from my laptop or iPhone has got to be the best free upgrade ever.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,023 of 7,140

I'd fully expect that to be the case unless it's a very expensive pre amp. We don't know the output impedance of the LO so I'd keep the cable as short as possible or low capacitance for those that want to try this. May not be needed but it will assure a good result. looks like you've got it covered.
beerchug.gif

p.s. One more thing, Re-listen without that APC. My experience is that they make good things less good, regardless of price. Id completely unplug it for comparison as the line filter at it's input can still affect the mains when off or not used inline.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,025 of 7,140
  .......... p.s. One more thing, Re-listen without that APC. My experience is that they make good things less good, regardless of price. Id completely unplug it for comparison as the line filter at it's input can still affect the mains when off or not used inline.

The APC conditioner was not involved with this setup, as the only thing powered on was the amp, plus I keep the power amp plugged into the wall outlet, so we are  mostly in agreement on this. I can try the additional step of unplugging the APC this evening when I'll be doing more serious listening to the QP1R as the front end of my big system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RMAF & CanJam less than two weeks away, woo-hoo!

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #3,026 of 7,140

n/a

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #3,027 of 7,140
By now, most everyone is probably very knowledgeable regarding the size of micro SD cards that can be used in the QP1R. But I am a complete noob to DAPs and these cards. So just wanted to say that I just loaded 171 GB of WAV files onto a 200 GB uSDXC Ultra SanDisk card and it works perfectly. I formatted the card in the QP1R and then loaded the 4014 individuals songs from my PC onto the card with the card in the QP1R. I use my player on shuffle exclusively. Works great. Sounds great. The 200 GB cards actually yield only 183 GB of usable space after formatting, so don't expect a full 200. I have a completely blank internal drive (except for the EQ.ini file). So all of my music is coming exclusively from the card which I leave in slot 1 all the time.

Hopes this helps any others who are new to this as I am......Richard

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,029 of 7,140
Any particular cord you're using?  I ask 'cause of the smaller-than-average hole to plug line cords into.  No doubt, you're using a Y-cord?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CZQ1BOA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474851269&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=powerocker+usb+cord&dpPl=1&dpID=41VaTMelhyL&ref=plSrch Works great.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #3,030 of 7,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back