Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Aug 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,431 of 7,140
Most experts agree that you will not be able to tell the difference between an uncompressed lossless format like Apple AIFF or their compressed lossless format like ALAC. I imagine this applies to FLAC as well. Compressed formats may require more processor work but they take up less disc space. Anyway in theory uncompressed is purer but in actual practice some of the best ears in the industry can't tell them apart.

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #2,433 of 7,140
Something like dbpoweramp will have better error correction than iTunes. That is the only benefit I see. If there are no issues with the existing ALAC files, I would not re-rip them. You can use a converter to create a FLAC copy of the ALAC files. I use the one from dbpoweramp.

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,434 of 7,140
Something like dbpoweramp will have better error correction than iTunes. That is the only benefit I see. If there are no issues with the existing ALAC files, I would not re-rip them. You can use a converter to create a FLAC copy of the ALAC files. I use the one from dbpoweramp.

I found the same thing with .flac being a bit smaller than .alac.  I prefer the DBPowerAmp for its options to rescan and correct files.  Had a couple of bad CDs which needed som dosens of frames redone.  Very high on the program.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,435 of 7,140
I personally stick with FLAC if I want higher fidelity music, mostly because it's the easiest available to obtain. A smaller file size for each track compared to WAV and other formats is a plus to me as well.

On another note, I made it to London! I was held up in customs for a long while, but happy to be out of the airport and attend CanJam London!

Heathrow station at the airport terminal:

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2,436 of 7,140
I prefer FLAC files too and create a copy of ALAC from them for iTunes and my wife's iphone.

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #2,441 of 7,140
Does dbpoweramp work with the Mac and iTunes? Is it free? How is it different than XLD??

There is a paid version and I don't remember if there is a free version. It is a small amount of money compared to your CD and audio gear investment. Best to go to their site to see what platforms they support. I am not familiar with XLD.

I have mine set to save ALAC to iTunes and FLAC to my master music drive. The iTunes music is stored on your PC and dbpoweramp can be set to make a copy to FLAC from the iTunes ALAC files. It can also go the other way.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,442 of 7,140
Just got my new QP1R that I purchased for my HIFIMAN HE 1000 based on the reviews that it drives these headphones well for traveling. I had initially auditioned the HEK with a Cypher Labs Theorem 720 Amp/ DAC and found the volume needed to be almost maxed out but only on some recordings. However, the SQ with the QP1R is inferior IMO to the Cypher labs stack. I found that the QP1R needed to be on a volume level of 58 to 60 most of the time to even get close to the power of the Cypher labs amp that also had a wider sound stage but not at equal volume setting. I made sure the gain was set on high for the QP1R. So I guess it is a better player for more efficient phones. Still looking for something portable all in one device for the HEK. THE QUEST GOES ON.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,443 of 7,140
Just got my new QP1R that I purchased for my HIFIMAN HE 1000 based on the reviews that it drives these headphones well for traveling. I had initially auditioned the HEK with a Cypher Labs Theorem 720 Amp/ DAC and found the volume needed to be almost maxed out but only on some recordings. However, the SQ with the QP1R is inferior IMO to the Cypher labs stack. I found that the QP1R needed to be on a volume level of 58 to 60 most of the time to even get close to the power of the Cypher labs amp that also had a wider sound stage but not at equal volume setting. I made sure the gain was set on high for the QP1R. So I guess it is a better player for more efficient phones. Still looking for something portable all in one device for the HEK. THE QUEST GOES ON.

Sony PCM D100 maybe?

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,444 of 7,140
Has anyone tried the new Sandisk 256gb cards in the QP1R yet? I just want to know if there were any issues .... I would think not

No, but tried a 256GB SD with adapter with no problems except awkord to carry around.
And DBPoweramp comes with a 21-day trial.  You can use it in limited form afterwords, but, it takes longer to convert files as it only allows one core to work.  It is also available for Mac, now.  HTH

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,445 of 7,140
Exactly a year ago, I arrived at Canjam London 2015, and before getting into the hall, I was listening to Maurice's preview QP1R! I kind of knew straightaway one would be mine. But unable to order for months in the UK, slight concern over loose volume control and strange lack of playing an Artist's albums via metadata, caused me to wait. Receiving a Mojo also took away the urgency, then just when I decided to purchase a QP1R, UK Brexit caused a £100 price rise!

But Canjam 2016, 10% reduction show offer, and still being the best standalone DAP to my ears, I should be receiving one in a day or two. Finally join you guys, love the gold one :)

PS, Great to meet you again Maurice, wonder if you won last night, sorry couldn't be there. But my wife Barbara took a nice picture Saturday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back