Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #286 of 7,140
Ah! Pictured beside another device I'm considering! Would love comparison of their respective sound quality.

Sounds better without Mojo.
The amp on the QPR1 drives my Audeze LCDX with ease on medium gain at vol 38.
Firmware still needs work though.
I try and delete file under folder view and it reports wrong format. So I guess can only delete individual tracks at moment. I play albums in folders so prefer freedom to delete whole album.
The ring is a little unpredictable when scrolling albums but them I am used to touch screens.
I returned my AK380 as disappointed. I will be keeping this as sound wise beats any AK I have heard.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #287 of 7,140
I like the warmth and clarity of the MoJo but miss the top / bottom extension of the QP1R, if we could marry together both sounds into one output / device I would be in a very happy place!

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #288 of 7,140
I like the warmth and clarity of the MoJo but miss the top / bottom extension of the QP1R, if we could marry together both sounds into one output / device I would be in a very happy place!

I admit to being a little disapointed when I heard about the QP's using optical instead of coax, as I find it more convenient when I plugged in my X5 to Hugo.  But I don't see myself needing to bipass the HO of the QP1R.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #289 of 7,140
How does the QP1R compare to for example:
- the Sony NW-ZX2
- The LP5Pro
- Combi Woo WA7 and iPhone 6?
- Combi Questyle CMA800i  and iPhone 6?

That sounds strange maybe as they are quite different (one using an iPhone as source, the other standalone). I'm debating if I can continue using my iPhone as a source, or if I should get a dedicated player.
I should say, for convenience reasons I prefer using my iPhone as a source and use a DAC/AMP for at work or commuting. But I heard the QP1R, which sounded amazingly detailed. Quite mind blowing. But it was shrill at the top. a tad too bright.
The only real misgiving I have with it is the GUI, which in a world of touch screens is heavily outdated. Battery time is not an excuse as the Sony lasts 30+ hours playback time (according to specs).

For info, I use Operius IEMs most of the time (walking around, commute), and at work I use Beyerdynamics DT1770s. The latter are a bit thin on the bass but are excruciatingly detailed...

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #290 of 7,140
It has arrived.
Fully charged as well
It's like Christmas.
Wife gone shopping and just me and the dogs.
Let's play.

Very nice!  Have you tried it via line out/optical?  If so, how do you like it compared to the headphone out?

Do you prefer the headphone output's sound or line out/optical's sound more from your QP1R to the Mojo?

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #291 of 7,140
Neither, yet at the same time both, due to the reason you quoted Moe...

If you ask me which one, if I could only have one, and could never switch to the other, I would say MoJo, only because of the extra resolution in the mids, but on the most part it is up to the toss of a coin which is a great commendation for the Questyle team.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #292 of 7,140
Neither, yet at the same time both, due to the reason you quoted Moe...

If you ask me which one, if I could only have one, and could never switch to the other, I would say MoJo, only because of the extra resolution in the mids, but on the most part it is up to the toss of a coin which is a great commendation for the Questyle team.

Thanks for the response, Duncan, appreciate it!  It will be nice to listen to the Mojo, more than likely at the next CanJam will be when I can hear it for the first time.  Maybe sooner though, who knows... 
ph34r.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #293 of 7,140

Do you prefer the headphone output's sound or line out/optical's sound more from your QP1R to the Mojo?

I take a different view and would go for the QPR1. I actually prefer the QPR1 over the Mojo slightly as I find the QPR1 appears to give a more dynamic sound.
Though the Mojo is very good it is not the easiest thing to stack because of the obtrusive buttons and it doesn't take much to increase the volume whilst listening.
Also I cannot use my lovely custom Sysconcept and moon audio optical cables because of the shape of the Mojo in ration to the optical input / outputs on both machines.

I do like the Mojo better with the ZX2 and the USB input as opposed to naked ZX2.

I tell you though the QPR1 amp is the best I have heard on a DAP and that includes the AK380.
Now if only they continue to improve the firmware and please please let me be able to delete folders on the fly.

Also wish it had a touch screen :)

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #294 of 7,140

I take a different view and would go for the QPR1. I actually prefer the QPR1 over the Mojo slightly as I find the QPR1 appears to give a more dynamic sound.
Though the Mojo is very good it is not the easiest thing to stack because of the obtrusive buttons and it doesn't take much to increase the volume whilst listening.
Also I cannot use my lovely custom Sysconcept and moon audio optical cables because of the shape of the Mojo in ration to the optical input / outputs on both machines.

I do like the Mojo better with the ZX2 and the USB input as opposed to naked ZX2.

I tell you though the QPR1 amp is the best I have heard on a DAP and that includes the AK380.
Now if only they continue to improve the firmware and please please let me be able to delete folders on the fly.

I should (or may) be on the Canadian Mojo tour.  I have the QP1R and a Fiio X5g1 to try it with.  I'll, of course, attempt to give it a good Ho vs Lo comparison and see what shakes out.
As for touchscreen, I wouldn't say it's primitive.  Sometimes, it's necessary for some people.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #295 of 7,140

Thanks for your impressions, appreciate it!

It sounds like the QP1R is a serious contender compared to the Mojo.  It is ultimately up to the listener to choose which sounds more their fancy, but the fact that the QP1R has aspects that they Mojo doesn't embody (based on my reading on several threads) makes me more patient to listen to the Mojo.

A touch screen would be nice, but it's also nice the QP1R is pretty much a/an homage to the classic music players.  Questyle has got my requests, hopefully they will come to fruition in the future. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #296 of 7,140

I should (or may) be on the Canadian Mojo tour.  I have the QP1R and a Fiio X5g1 to try it with.  I'll, of course, attempt to give it a good Ho vs Lo comparison and see what shakes out.
As for touchscreen, I wouldn't say it's primitive.  Sometimes, it's necessary for some people.

Looking forward to your impressions! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #298 of 7,140

Thanks for your impressions, appreciate it!

It sounds like the QP1R is a serious contender compared to the Mojo.  It is ultimately up to the listener to choose which sounds more their fancy, but the fact that the QP1R has aspects that they Mojo doesn't embody (based on my reading on several threads) makes me more patient to listen to the Mojo.

A touch screen would be nice, but it's also nice the QP1R is pretty much a/an homage to the classic music players.  Questyle has got my requests, hopefully they will come to fruition in the future. 
normal_smile%20.gif

I've never been a big fan of touch screens but most everything has them now. For me, its much easier keeping the screen cleaner and easier to press physical buttons especially if the player is in a pocket and you have to "feel" for the buttons (too many devices require having to look directly at them simply to navigate tracks).

However, the Questyle looks to have capacitant (touch sensitive) buttons which kind of puts it in the middle. Not so different from touch screen operation there; guess it was a design choice.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #299 of 7,140
This hasn't been crossed off of my wish list. I've just been busy with life. Specs list an Optical Out, but I don't see a port in any of the pictures. Not having a Coax Out...an Op Out would keep me more than happy.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #300 of 7,140
Have others found just how slippy the back of the QPR1 is?
Forever sliding off my leg when I am sitting down.

It is a slippery back, that mirror-like finish don't-you-know. In all seriousness, I just keep it on a table, in a case or in my pocket.

I've never been a big fan of touch screens but most everything has them now. For me, its much easier keeping the screen cleaner and easier to press physical buttons especially if the player is in a pocket and you have to "feel" for the buttons (too many devices require having to look directly at them simply to navigate tracks).

However, the Questyle looks to have capacitant (touch sensitive) buttons which kind of puts it in the middle. Not so different from touch screen operation there; guess it was a design choice.

You can not operate any function except for the volume via volume dial when it's in your pocket/when the screen is turned off.

The QP1 and QP1R utilize capacitive buttons for certain tasks. Check out the first post in this thread to read up about the QP1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back