Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 1, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,511 of 7,140
  The double amping is not for volume, but fidelity. A dozen critical listening A/B's using well mastered lossless files of various genres, between the QP1R solo, vs. stacked with my matchbox sized FiiO E06 amp shows that the treble presentation is somewhat subdued / harsh and dynamics mediocre with sondstage that is 'meh', vs. when paired with the FiiO E06 it was the opposite: slamming clear dynamics in spades, wider soundstage and very smooth / resolving highs. And I tried L/M/H gain settings on all headphones, to which high was always best.

+ 

Unfortunately the reason I got this is to avoid double stacking in the first place, but the 'direct' sound is still better than my FiiO X5 v2 at least, so I'll see what to do.
Probably others have found better external amp pairings for this as well. Anyway I'll be away for a while now.

As always YMMV...

beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,514 of 7,140
While I wouldn't do it because I'm fond of the internal amp and only use DAPs on the go without extra hardware, I have a couple questions. Are you 'double amping' off the headphone jack and are you certain the Fiio is set to flat and not using the EQ 2 setting? If you are double amping off the headphone jack, the f6 is only 'adding' a character of it's own as it's driving capabilities are below the stock QP1's. I suspect you simply misspoke and are using the recessed line out. Beyond that, give it another go after it has a few hundred hours on it and try getting 'used' to it's sound alone as right now you may have f6 character expectations. Beyond that, your preferences are yours to have and as valid as anyone's for their own use.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #3,515 of 7,140
Many DAP owners try them stacked with external amps and often get improved results. Yes I ensured the small FiiO amp was set to uncolored setting, and it was done via the QP1R's headphone out, both amps volume matched so no difference in volume either directly from the QP1 or stacked with the FiiO amp. It's a tiny matchbox sized amp that uses the likes of a watch battery, so I would presume that any already amped signal does not simply 'start over' when entering this device, but rather the overall amping becomes further increased.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,516 of 7,140
If you're using the headphone out, you just like the character/coloration of the F6. If the F6 were neutral and with less current available, at best, it would sound the same. That's A O K but it's not a minus on the QP1 nor a plus on the fiio. Simply a preference.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,517 of 7,140
I just received my qp1r and leather case from moon audio today. Anyone know where can i get a screen protector for the qp1r ? I search on ebay and didn't see anything. The only thing i found is a dignis case comes with a sreen protector. But i don't need extra case.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,518 of 7,140
I just received my qp1r and leather case from moon audio today. Anyone know where can i get a screen protector for the qp1r ? I search on ebay and didn't see anything. The only thing i found is a dignis case comes with a sreen protector. But i don't need extra case.

I used a liquid nano screen protector. Seems good so far :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highest-Quality-Protector-Samsung-Protection/dp/B0178AURT8/ref=pd_sim_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EVKG2BJ5TS6RFKRE5X1D

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #3,521 of 7,140
Thx i will try that.
Btw can you use < and > buttons when the screen is off ?

Sadly no. The capacitive buttons only work when the screen is on

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #3,523 of 7,140
So I tried to use the EQ for the first time this evening and it doesn't appear to be working for me. I tested on several 16bit 44.1khz tracks and nothing seems to happen. Anyone having the same issue? 

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3,524 of 7,140

Just asking: is that really a bad thing?  One mightn't want to use the buttons when the screen is off.  Or is there something I haven't thought of?

Well an immediate advantage I can think of would be track forwards and backwards, without having to take the QP1R out of your pocket. The lack of hardware play, pause, forward and backwards buttons is probably my only real gripe about the Questyle device.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,525 of 7,140
So I tried to use the EQ for the first time this evening and it doesn't appear to be working for me. I tested on several 16bit 44.1khz tracks and nothing seems to happen. Anyone having the same issue? 
Someone else had that problem mine works just fine just not on Dsd or 24 bit as per design. I have the latest firmware also so I don't know you might want to contact Questyle on that one. I know it's a stupid question but you did turn the eq to the eq1 or eq2 that you changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back