Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,681 of 7,140
Simple design .... Just clear with solid black ends & logo ... Black 48" wire ... Square case

Black ends? Do you mean the tips of the ear canals are black? My apologies for not fully understanding. What color/design are the faceplates? Good choice on the square case. The circular one I have is terrible; doesn't hold the lid securely. I need to ask for a square one or see if I can get an updated one. Looks beautiful, though!

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #1,685 of 7,140
They have those same cables on eBay ... Free shipping and no tax (Amazon charges NYC taxes ... Since I live here)

Not really. Those cables are sold by a third party and fulfilled by Amazon. That means that it depends on the seller's tax policies rather than Amazon's. My experience is that most do not collect tax. Get them anywhere you want.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,686 of 7,140
Apr 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,687 of 7,140
I wonder if software upgrades could enable the QP1R to open MQA files? I read it is possible to do that in players with software based DSP chips. The QP1R has a 
Cirrus Logic flagship DAC (CS4398) chips. It sounds like that might be the wave of the future.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #1,688 of 7,140
I wonder if software upgrades could enable the QP1R to open MQA files? I read it is possible to do that in players with software based DSP chips. The QP1R has a [COLOR=D8D8D8]Cirrus Logic flagship DAC (CS4398) chips. It sounds like that might be the wave of the future.[/COLOR]

Who knows. Now, I do not know all of the information with regards to MQA (feel free to explain it in detail, anyone), but as soon as I was told it was a lossy format, that completely ruled it out of me even wanting to try it out.

With that said, I was going to be able to listen to MQA tracks on the Onkyo DP-X1 at AXPONA, but the nice representative let me know he didn't have other formats of the same song loaded - so to me it would have been a moot point to try to compare since there would have only been different songs of MQA and not same songs of different formats including MQA.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,690 of 7,140
If you can, check out Micheal Fremers (so?) article in Stereophile vol39 issue 3. It explains what makes the format tick and heaps glowing praise.

If you mean March 2016, I've only seen MQA mentioned one time in the publication, and didn't say anything technical in it - no mention of quality numbers or mention of lossless or lossy. Maybe you read another article? Link(s) or a personal Google Drive link would be great if it isn't the publication I've stated above. Thanks in advance!

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,691 of 7,140
Apologies! I got my articles mixed up. Now that I am in my hotel room (and doing my homework!) I realize the article was by Robert Harley in the May/June 2016 "the absolute sound" magazine, "Digital Emerges from the Dark Ages". This is a very long and in depth article. It is outside the scope of this thread but he does talk a bit about what type of players might be able to unfold all of the MQA information with a software upgrade in the FAQ section. If the format takes off it will be a great asset to storage space challenged DAP's.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,692 of 7,140
Apologies! I got my articles mixed up. Now that I am in my hotel room (and doing my homework!) I realize the article was by Robert Harley in the May/June 2016 "the absolute sound" magazine, "Digital Emerges from the Dark Ages". This is a very long and in depth article. It is outside the scope of this thread but he does talk a bit about what type of players might be able to unfold all of the MQA information with a software upgrade in the FAQ section. If the format takes off it will be a great asset to storage space challenged DAP's.

That took a while to find the wrong article, but no worries. If the May/June issue is anything like Mr. Harley's Jun 2015 in-depth "Beyond High-Resolution" article where he goes into immense detail about MQA, what I got out of the article are literally more questions. Rather than seeking absolute answers to all of my questions, though, I would really want to listen to the "studio's original bit rate" of MQA and compare it to the same masters/songs of different formats before coming to any conclusions.

Thanks for the information!

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,694 of 7,140
OK back to the QP1R. I bought it and a set of 64 Audio U6 IEM's at CanJam. After many hours of break in and listening I decided the U6's are a little dark and seriously challenged by a shelved down treble response particularly noticeable with cymbals for instance. But otherwise they sound fantastic (to me). I finally decided to try an equalization curve in the QP1R. I stepped up once at 4K, twice at 8k, and three steps at 16k. I may have gotten a little carried away but now cymbals are anything but lost in the mix. I am super impressed with the QP1R's ability here. This may be a common feature in DAP's but for a newbie such as myself I am thrilled with the end result. I was thinking I had struck gold with the QP1R but only bronze with the IEM's. This DAP's eq curve has brought the IEM's to silver level or better.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,695 of 7,140
Shucks man, sorry to waste anyone's time, I'll be more careful.

It's all gravy, baby!

OK back to the QP1R. I bought it and a set of 64 Audio U6 IEM's at CanJam. After many hours of break in and listening I decided the U6's are a little dark and seriously challenged by a shelved down treble response particularly noticeable with cymbals for instance. But otherwise they sound fantastic (to me). I finally decided to try an equalization curve in the QP1R. I stepped up once at 4K, twice at 8k, and three steps at 16k. I may have gotten a little carried away but now cymbals are anything but lost in the mix. I am super impressed with the QP1R's ability here. This may be a common feature in DAP's but for a newbie such as myself I am thrilled with the end result. I was thinking I had struck gold with the QP1R but only bronze with the IEM's. This DAP's eq curve has brought the IEM's to silver level or better.

Yeah, the U6 I auditioned at CanJam wasn't my favorite to say the least, but it does seem pretty well received so they must be doing something right.

One of my favorite under 6 driver IEMs that I auditioned recently is the CFA Andromeda...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back